Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pro Oud Wanted
NY Oud
Oud Addict

Mood: I have an attit'OUD

[*] posted on 2-17-2012 at 04:56 PM
Pro Oud Wanted

Hey all. My friend is interested in buying a new oud. He has about 1000US to spend and wants something of pro quality. Preferably in the US but if abroad, that's fine too. Thanks guys.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-17-2012 at 08:06 PM

I've heard good things about Michael Moussa:

http://www.magicstrings.co.uk/prices.htm

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 2-18-2012 at 12:37 AM

try Jameel in USA ,he has nice ouds from time to time:

http://www.khalafoud.com/accessories.htm

If you want to look further afield than USA-

Michael Moussa makes fine ouds.

Usta Faruk:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=12318

also Maurice Shehata in Cairo...

VeyselMusiK in Turkey
http://www.veyselmuzik.com/tr/index.php

Dimitiris in Athens:
http://www.dimitrisouds.com/

and so on-

your friend may need extra cash if he buys outside USA for shipping charges and so on.
NY Oud
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-18-2012 at 11:32 AM
USED

Does nobody on this forum have any ouds in that price point from a reputable luthier they are looking to part with? Used ouds are definitely acceptable by my friend. I have been going over all the other makers that you have suggested with him.
azzizza
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-18-2012 at 01:02 PM
used oud

Hello,

I have a Temel Sehit oud in that pricepoint that would be a fine oud. It has a cedar face which gives it a nice deep sound and is about 15-20 years old. Please email if interested

Armen
armensevag@hotmail.com
NY Oud
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-18-2012 at 04:31 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions gentlemen. I know this is a stretch, but my friend wants to know if a Ghadban, Matta or oud of that quality can be purchased used for what he has. Or maybe a touch more.....
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 2-18-2012 at 06:35 PM

Why not simply get a Faruk Turunz reduced price point oud, 1000 dollars, Arabic or Turkish bracing, brand new. Top quality.
Plus shipping.
ameer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-18-2012 at 07:01 PM

The Mattas and Ghadbans I've seen typically go for around $1500.
bibo10
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-19-2012 at 09:25 AM

Check your U2U

+++++++++++
Michael-GOD BLESS EGYPT
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 2-20-2012 at 05:38 AM

Hi,

I have two very nice ouds available for sale for less than $1000, including gig bag and extra set of strings. I also have another oud on the way that will most likely be $1000 including a hard case.

Contact me to schedule a time to see them and play them yourself.

Thanks,

Mavrothi

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-20-2012 at 11:17 AM

Matta ouds have a rather specific sound; it has to be what you are looking for.

Ghadban ouds always look nice, but the sound varies a lot in my experience. I wouldn't recommend paying that kind of money unless you have a chance to play it first.

Shehata is very consistent, as are Sukar ouds.

"Pro quality" is a strange term to use. Generally, the instruments being used by professionals are valued higher than $1000.

While you can get a good oud at that price, and certainly one that is fine for performing with, a "professional" oud in my experience starts around $1500 and goes up as high as you care to imagine.

You can generally find better Turkish instruments than Arabic in a given price range.

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-21-2012 at 05:57 AM

The way the original question was phrased causes some problems. Nobody wants to mess with PROFESSIONAL. Ouds are very hand-made, it's not like buying a Steinway.

Having played a few Shehatas, and being the proud owner of one, as well as a couple of Sukars, I'll jump in and hazard the view that although Shehatas have a prettier finish, Sukars are more consistent in sound, and more uniform in construction. And more affordable. They also offer the rare ability to optimize the action because the neck is adjustable, a rare feature which only the Mattas also offer.

As to what is "professional", there are different opinions and approaches. Luttgutt, for instance, professionally plays only Sukars, while others consider them too utilitarian, without necessarily having played one. We are sensitive to the term as it is, e.g., widely abused by vendors who label all their cheese-box ouds as "professional." To fit under the $1000 budget, and sometimes considerably under, a Sukar is a very safe choice because they are so consistent. There ARE different Sukar models, and vendors, some better than others. The ones with ebony fingerboards and pegs are generally preferable. Coming from Syria, they are becoming harder to find. It's always wisest to only buy ones that are already for sure physically in the US.

Brian is right in saying that Turkish instruments are generally "better" for the money, but I'd qualify that as "better finished", as it costs more for a boutique Arabic oud than a Turkish utility oud of similar detailing and finish. I suggested the Faruk Turunz "reduced price" model, Turkish, as a very safe bet and well-finished. If you want Arabic and very fancy, the $1000 budget ain't gonna likely cut it. But below that price point, I'd say just get a Sukar and you'll have a good oud at low risk.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-21-2012 at 08:25 AM

Fernand makes a more detailed point than I wanted to get into.

As far as Sukar vs. Shehata, I will suggest that perhaps it is somewhat a matter of taste, though like Fernand, my tastes also tend to prefer the Sukar sound. I consider some of the better Sukar ouds to be "professional" instruments, but many would not. It depends on what your choices are, and what kind of budget you have.

I am cautious regarding Turunz's "reduced price" ouds. I do not wish to insult master Faruk, a luthier for whom I have the utmost respect. His regular models that I have played have been superb and unique instruments, exceptional in every way. But based on the sound files he has posted and conversation with those who have played them, the newer "reduced price" ouds are not comparable. I'm not saying that they aren't good instruments--I'm sure they are fine instruments and comparable to other ouds in that price range. But his usual instruments are so exceptional that people might have too-high expectations from his reduced-price instruments.
I don't hold this against him; there is a reason why these ouds are less and his usual models are more, and I applaud him for his effort to make affordable instruments.

I personally don't think the "adjustable action" feature is worth bothering about. Most older Sukars I've seen eventually need the apparatus removed and the neck reset anyway.

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-22-2012 at 02:50 AM

Interesting. I had perhaps incorrectly assumed, there goes that drat word, that his reduced priced ouds are comparable. Seeing what other luthiers manage to do at lower cost, I'm indeed surprised. What could the reason be? Sukar seems to have the whole bracing business down, why wouldn't Turunz? Is it because it's trying to allow for both Arabic and Turkish tuning bracings?

On Sukars, what I've seen happen is that the adjustment, which isn't really a whole lot, may drift out of the range a specific player or oud would prefer, could be too high, could be too low. But isn't compensating by pulling the neck off and shaving the mating surfaces a relatively simple task compared to sawing off a neck and "starting over", as is traditionally done? My bigger gripe has to do with the "depth" of the Sukar neck. My Shehata has a nice and shallow neck, but then again it's quite narrow, and getting the nut just right to squeeze 11 strings into that width is a chore. Going back to the Sukar neck that's ample in width, but a bit fat, is a change. Can't win ...

Still, for the original request, within $1000, we can probably agree that a Sukar is THE safest bet.

NY Oud
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-22-2012 at 07:49 AM

Oddly enough, I am now selling my Sukar Model 8 and my friend doesn't want that one. He wants something more ornate and showy. I don't know why. The sound of the Sukar is beautiful. I was also coming in below what he is looking to spend. Oh well, to each their own.

Go To Top