Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud academia
adamcrossley
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-20-2012 at 06:16 AM
Oud academia

Helle all, as i keep saying, im studying ethnomusicology at Salford University with particular interest in learning the Oud.

I have found books on tuition of the Oud but nothing academic.

Ethnomusicology is mainly based on fieldwork and participating in the culture, so i have my work cut out in trying to find such a particular music scene in manchester however it would be nice to read something that speaks about it in depth. Not necessarily the history or politics surroundiung the music but on the music itself and the anthropology of the people involved in the culture. So really just a sociological study.

I'm probably just rambling here in a desperate attempt to find such a specific book that doesn't exist, but if anyone knows or finds of anything alike please let me know.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-20-2012 at 08:48 AM

"Making Music in the Arab World" by A J Racy may be just what you are looking for. It is subtitled "The Culture and Artisty of Tarab". The book is not oud-centric but is still an excellent work and it conforms to (what I imagine are) academic standards and format without being dry and "academic". (It isn't boring). Published by Cambridge University Press.
eliot
Oud Junkie

Mood: Aksak

[*] posted on 2-20-2012 at 10:12 PM

Hi Adam,
There's a couple books in the Oxford Global Music series that might be of interest and should be accessible at a few libraries in the U.K. - Scott Marcus' book Music in Egypt: Experiencing Music, Expressing Culture and my own contribution, Music in Turkey: Experiencing Music, Expressing Culture. My book isn't just about the oud but more broadly is about folkloric and art musics in the contemporary life of Istanbul, but I have sections that discuss Necati Çelik, Cinuçen Tanrıkorur, meşk, music cemiyets, and the oud-making workshop of Ramazan Calay.

Hope this helps,
-eliot

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
on soundcloud
on myspace
my homepage
adamcrossley
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-21-2012 at 09:47 AM

Thank you both so much i will be sure to check all your suggestions out, providing i can find copies.

Thank you

Go To Top