Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: tuning a low C to D on a sukar oud?
stos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 03:52 AM
tuning a low C to D on a sukar oud?

Hello everybody!

I'm a happy new owner of a sukar model 2 that I just bought 2 days ago (thanks markus for opening my eyes on sukar ouds! ;) )

It's seems to be build around ten years ago, and is in good shape
I love the big bassy sound and the volume of the instrument! :D

I have to buy some new strings but until then, I want to play the tuning that I'm used to : D E a d g c

Do you think that it is bad for the oud for to make the low C one step higher?

And about buying new strings ; most of the string set made for arabic oud are with a low C... what can I do? :(

Thanks a lot!
Danielo
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 04:04 AM

Hi,

tuning up only one string is not a big deal, it would increase the tension by about 0.7 kg. It is perfectly safe unless the string tension is already very high.

I advise you to try using the tuning with low C. With my first teacher I learnt with low D, few years ago I decided to use low C instead it is more flexible. You can use it as a drone both for C-based or D-based maqamat. Playing the D drone requires of course some training but it it really not a problem after some practice

regards,

Dan

stos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 04:17 AM

hello dan!

thanks for the quick answer!

I'm on the way to open my mind on different tunings but I thinks it depends a lot on what music you're playing

At this time I play mostly old rebetika and some gipsy tunes where the D is more important regards on the makam played, there are not a lot in this repertoire and mostly the same (or maybe one or two song in C, where I could maybe lower the strings for the song) and so I will keep it like this for the moment

will see what happen in the future! :cool:

tu joue de quel répertoire toi?

connais tu des chouettes profs de répertoire turc ou grec sur paris?

merci!!
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 3-8-2012 at 01:43 PM

We agree C and D are the most important drone tonics. It's easy enough to retune one string. And most oud sets give you a 0.042" bass string to save money, whereas a 0.046" or fatter would be better. So tuning up to a D is usually fine and sounds less flabby. But playing a D drone on the C string with the thumb is also simple, though harder to always get perfect intonation.

Maybe we need one of those Xtender mechanical tuners with a lever :D

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=90
Danielo
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-10-2012 at 04:39 AM

Salut,

en ce moment je joue du répertoire classique (Samai, Pesrev, Muwashahat, etc...).

Pour un prof de musique turque à Paris, tu peux contacter Haroun Teboul ou James Serre mais c'est plutôt pour le répertoire ottoman, je ne sais pas si c'est ce que tu cherches... sinon tu peux demander ici ils devraient pouvoir t'aider

Dan

Go To Top