Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ud Taksimleri CDs
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 11:01 PM
Ud Taksimleri CDs

I came across a couple of CDs advertised online recently, and was wondering if anyone on here had experience of them? There are some short clips available and they sounds good, but you never know when a synthesizer might kick in just after the clip ends! :(

The first CD, "16 Makamda Ud Taksimleri" by various artists is unfortunately no longer available - see:

http://www.tulumba.com/storeItem.asp?ic=MU9399084CG846

(Anyone have this and want to do a trade?)

The second CD, "Ud Taksimleri" by Ergin Kizilay, is by quite a well known player, but I have always thought of him as a "purveyor of cheese", shall we say. ;) This disc sounds ok though, but would be good to hear others' opinions - see:

http://www.tulumba.com/storeItem.asp?ic=MU939377DV692

Many thanks

David

John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 08:15 AM

Hi David,

I'm pretty sure I've got the Ergin Kizilay CD (or maybe in cassette form?). I regard his ud playing a good example of basic, typical Turkish taksim style. I think it's worth owning one such recording. I rarely listen to it, though, because there are other Turkish ud players--Necati Çelik, Yurdal Tokcan, etc.--whose style I find much more interesting and imaginative.

As far as Mr. Kizilay being a purveyor of "cheese," assuming the expression means about the same thing to you Brits as "cheesey" does to us Yanks (i.e., "kitsch"/"kitschy"), my reaction is that the several recordings I own on which he performs are not (IMHO) "kitsch," but decent--although completely unexciting--examples of folk and "light classical" Turkish instrumental music, perfect for tourists or locals with less-that-descriminating musical taste.

Peace out,
"Udi" John
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 09:14 AM

Hi John

You could be right about the cassette - it may have been reissued in CD form?

I seem to remember listening to a few of his cassettes in a music shop (or was it an elevator? :D) in Istanbul and being rather underwhelmed, but the sound samples from this CD on the website sound ok. Assuming they are actually from that CD of course!! Like you say though, there is other quality Turkish stuff out there I would probably reach for first.

Any thoughts on the other "Ud Taksimleri" CD?

All the best

David

John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David Parfitt  

Any thoughts on the other "Ud Taksimleri" CD?

Um...maybe try to get one of your friends in Istanbul to buy and send it to you in trade? (I have obtained at least one "out-of-print" Turkish CD that way.)

ATB,
J
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 01:13 PM

Hi John

Definitely worth pursuing that idea. Funnily enough though, I managed to buy an out-of-print Turkish CD by Osman Nuri Ozpekel here in the UK yesterday!

All the best

David

Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 06:04 PM

Hi.

The Ergin Kizilay solo taksim album is actually pretty good.
He also plays with Halil Karaduman (kanun)and Ercument Batanay (yayli tanbur) who are some of the best players around so he can't be too bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plh5DFScctg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbX2A4CM_A4
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

Mood: Odar

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 10:00 PM

Cheese. Hmmm.

In the case of Mr. Kizilay, a quote springs to mind: Clifton Fadiman's; "Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality."

And to paraphrase an observation on two of the greats of early jazz (observed by Leonard Feather I believe) --players such as Ergin Kizilay build very effectively on the past; players such as Necati Çelik take off, and sometimes soar, from it. Both paths are important I think.

With about 20 titles available at Tuluumba, Mr. Kizilay would appear to be a pretty prolific producer of Turkish Classical and Şarkılar music. The 4 CD series--Ud İle Sevdiğiniz Şarkılar--and other titles are small group efforts. Having heard a number of them, what impresses me is the consistently high quality of play from his group members, the balance of the orchestrations, and the very even distribution of solos. As an ensemble player he blends perfectly, often staying under the violin and kanun, and providing a wonderful "floor" for the rest of the ensemble. Refreshing, I think, in an era of balls-out soloists.

http://www.tulumba.com/storeItem.asp?ic=MU970397AH062

http://www.tulumba.com/icy_qSrch.asp?ops=s&x=&tag=&s=Er...

I have not yet heard or read that Mr. Kizilay has been acclaimed Udi by another Usta, or by the Turkish music community, but he has certainly mastered the ancient disciplines.

-Stephen

David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-18-2012 at 02:03 AM

Stephen, great quote!! Like you say, those albums don't seem too bad - not even as much as a Mini Babybel in sight!

Jono, thanks for posting those links. That Halil Karaduman one made me dig out the fantastic recording "Classical Music of Turkey" featuring HK and Necati Celik. I remember ordering this CD from the late Mimi Spencer many years ago.

All the best

David

mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 4-18-2012 at 07:00 AM

Ergin Kizilay was one of the first Turkish oud players I ever heard, and b/c of the sheer number of his releases, was considered by me as the standard for traditional Turkish oud playing for a long time.

When I was younger I was very interested in meeting as many old Greek oud players in the US as I could, b/c we are so rare here and also b/c they experienced a hey day of music and opportunities in the 60s and 70s that no longer exists. I'm a sucker for history and anecdotal stories, even if they are only 10% true...

I'll never forget one particular meeting I had with an older gentleman in Ohio, who due to health problems no longer even tuned his oud up. I ecstatically gave him a copy of the Trad. Crossroads release of Udi Yorgo Batzanos recordings which I had recently discovered. He had never heard of him (!), but immediately responded by mailing me a cassette of a Kizilay taksim album with a short note saying: This is oud, that other guy plays too fast - he thinks he's playing bouzouki!

So, it is just an interesting phenomenon that most Greek oud players/musicians were completely out of touch with one of our greatest musicians in recent history up until a short time ago. So much so that often, the stereotype of "party" oud was considered (and still often considered) the only real oud sound, and even though artists like Batzanos were pushing the limits almost 100 years ago, they are seen as too progressive.

These days, though most Greeks in the US are from regions that don't recognize the oud, those that do most often see it in that very specific context: playing chiftetelli and the occasional, heavy "OUSAK" taksim. As thankful as I am for the rare chance to work with my oud in a traditional setting for Greeks, I do wonder if I'll ever get a request for a taksim in a makam other than "OUSAK" - Hijaz anyone? Rast? Segah?

:)

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-18-2012 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jono Oud N.Z  
Hi.

The Ergin Kizilay solo taksim album is actually pretty good.
He also plays with Halil Karaduman (kanun)and Ercument Batanay (yayli tanbur) who are some of the best players around so he can't be too bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plh5DFScctg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbX2A4CM_A4

I don't know Jono, IMHO, pairing Ergin Kizilay with Halil--a very innovative stylist--on kanoun only makes his ud playing sound more "ordinary" to my ears.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-18-2012 at 10:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David Parfitt  
Hi John

Definitely worth pursuing that idea. Funnily enough though, I managed to buy an out-of-print Turkish CD by Osman Nuri Ozpekel here in the UK yesterday!

All the best

David

Wow! Do you mean the CD with the fountain on the cover? How did you swing that? I've been looking for that one for a while.

-J

Osman Nuri Ozpekel CD Image.jpg - 55kB
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-19-2012 at 01:57 AM

Hi John

That's the one! Here is the link to the store I bought it from (at a very reasonable price):

http://www.soundtravels.co.uk/p-Ud__Solo_Series-620.aspx

There seems to have been a fault during production which means that only two long tracks show up on the CD player, when there should be ten short ones. Perhaps they didn't add sufficient gaps between tracks? I checked with the store and they tried another copy of the CD, but it is exactly the same. Just nice to have the music anyway though!

All the best

David

Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 05:14 PM

Hi.

I agree that Halil Karaduman is much more important and innovative for sure,and Mr Kizilay's playing is not in the same league.

I do enjoy his music though, I like some of his instrumental versions of songs with the small group.
The percussion is louder than in a lot of Turkish music which is nice for a change.
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 03:29 AM

Please respect to the masters...and Kizilay is DEFINITELY one of them!!
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-25-2012 at 03:27 PM

I think we are all entitled to our opinions, and I don't think I offered my opinion in a disrespectrul manner. Please remember the original context of my comments, i.e., in response to David's request for opinions whether he should purchase CDs.

Ergin Kizilay is certainly a competent ud player in the traditional Turkish style...very active left hand...lots of çarpma. I am listening to his CD right now. It's nice, but would I advise all fellow Forum members to go out and buy it? I don't know. If I were looking for an exemplar to demonstrate to someone Turkish ud taksim style--for example, how's it's different from Arabic style--his recoreding preferable to that of more imaginative performers, precisely because their styles are less "typical" and less traditional. But, listening, I am reminded why I don't listen to it very often. On the other hand, if you were to ask me whose CDs you should go out and buy, I would suggest others, Necati, Yurdal, Munir Nurettin Beken, Mehmet Bitmez. etc.

Peace oud...I mean "out,"
John

Ergin Kizilay Ud Taksimleri CD Liner.jpg - 22kB
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 03:56 PM

O.K.: Not to "beat a dead horse" (i.e., unnecessarily prolong an argument), but I just found a YouTube video of Necati Çelik which demonstrates why I love his playing so much: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNz7s-loLDc&feature=related

I think that what I love is his use of silence, quiet and pauses. One reason I tend to like Arabic oud style better than Turkish ud--even though the average level of technical skill is higher among the Turks (IMHO)--is that I often find Turkish-style taksimler cloyingly "busy" and lacking in pauses.

Yurdal Tokcan's style is not quite as "mystical" as Necati's, but similarly makes use of pauses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqvIl20Dg14&feature=related

ATB,
"Udi" John
morereverb
Oud Lover

Mood: Oud Lover

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 06:32 AM

sorry to re awaken this after almost a year, but does anyone know if there are liner notes in English to
the above mentioned compilation(http://www.tulumba.com/storeItem.asp?ic=MU9399084CG846) ?
I have the tracks, I can't remember where I downloaded them from, but I'm not sure who the
players are.......any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks very much
lloyd Thayer
Concord Mass
usa
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by morereverb  
sorry to re awaken this after almost a year, but does anyone know if there are liner notes in English to
the above mentioned compilation(http://www.tulumba.com/storeItem.asp?ic=MU9399084CG846) ?
I have the tracks, I can't remember where I downloaded them from, but I'm not sure who the
players are.......any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks very much
lloyd Thayer
Concord Mass
usa

Hi Lloyd

I would be interested in a copy of the tracks if possible please... Could you email me at david@oud.eclipse.co.uk ?

I have the track names, but I'm not sure who the artist(s) is/are.

All the best

David

pirsultan
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 03:01 PM

By coincidence I was listening to a CD titled Saz Eserler' ver Taksimleri - Üstadlardan Sazların Dili on the way to work today. Haven't listened to it for a long time. The Suzinak Sakız Kasap Oyun Havası that Jono NZ linked to is the final piece from that album.

It has always been a favourite recording of mine - got my first copy on cassette in 1987 in Konya - because it brings the great Ercüment Batanay, Halil Karaduman and Ergin Kızılay together and they are obviously really enjoying playing saz semaisiler and peşrevler together. It opens with a great version of Mesut Cemil's Nihavent Saz Semaisi. There's lots of dynamics in the tempo etc. I remember it being such a refreshing recording after hearing all the big TRT orchestra approaches to this music (way back then). To my mind it still stands up as one of the great recordings of this repertoire. It must be said however that Halil Karaduman on kanun does dominate proceedings and, to a lesser extent, Batanay on yaylı tanbur and Ergin Kızılay's role is rather subordinate though he does get one solo taksim. Each of the composed works is introduced by a taksim mostly shared by the three players.

The sad news is that the CD does not seem to be available currently. It was released by Mega Müzik (CD012) some years back. If you come across it, buy it!

Go To Top