Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: checked-in oud to Asia and back: success story
oudistcamp
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-19-2012 at 08:40 AM
checked-in oud to Asia and back: success story

Just wanted to let folks know that I had great success checking in an oud from California to Singapore (19 hr flight), then Singapore to Hong Kong (3.5 hr flight), then HK back to California (11.5 hr flight).
The checked-in oud was considered as a regular piece of luggage.
The trip was completed in 3 weeks.

The oud and case are in perfect condition - inspite of the 2 week exposure of 90 degree heat and 90% humidity in Singapore. I flew Singapore Airlines.

The photos attached show the case, the cardboard box the case went in, and the clothing used to fill excess space in case.
The cardboard box was just slightly larger than the case, enough for a layer of large bubble wrap between the case and box.
Then the whole box was taped and tied with rope so the handlers have a way to grab onto the box with the ropes.

The oud and case are from Nazih Ghadban and I used a cardboard box of Faruk's.

Of course, remember to loosen the strings.....

after trip.jpg - 171kB IMG_8091a.jpg - 170kB
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 4-19-2012 at 09:24 AM

Hi oudistcamp- I assume you mean that the oud and case went into the hold of the airline, not into the cabin? :)
oudistcamp
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-19-2012 at 12:32 PM

Yes. Checked the oud into the hold like a regular piece of luggage.
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 09:24 AM

Thanks for the info OC ! I found that keeping the oud stabilized inside the case is crucial -- I didn't one time when I shipped one to England -- a stave got cracked when the package bounced.....and the oud bumped the side of the case where the case's handle attached:( ; But the oud was still OK, nothing major.

Regards..Paul
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 02:01 PM

I've always managed to get it into the cabin. A sukar case barely adds to the size of the oud itself and is thin enough to inspire pity from the attendants when they try to send it to the hold. It fits into the overhead compartment.
oudistcamp
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 4-20-2012 at 08:43 PM

Unfortunately, many international airlines are phasing out the Boeing 747s, if they have not already done so.
I find the replacement aircrafts are more compact, with only some overhead compartments large enough for the oud.
They are usually located at the sides, and perhaps only alternate compartments.
No need to 'inspire pity' :rolleyes:, nor suffer the uncertainty of the oud being allowed as carry-on, or having to buy another ticket.
If the total dimension of the packed oud adds up, just check it in as luggage......
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 4-24-2012 at 08:29 AM

"No need?" Maybe for you! I'm looking at one piece luggage allowed. And i don't own a $500 reinforced case. They got us on ALL sides. If i cant get it in the overheads, i can't take it. If the trip is for non-musical reasons, paying the additional luggage fees on all the connecting flights is just too outrageous. But in a Sukar case, or a gig-bag, an oud is smaller and easier to fit than a guitar. I've managed so far even on some small aircraft.

Go To Top