Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: looking 4 new oud
manuel
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 03:40 PM
looking 4 new oud

Hallo to you all, I'm a new user from italy my name is Manuel Gordiani.
I'm studying oud from 2 years, I am actually using an oud I think to be a turkish model built in Germany... it is solid and reliable but as you can easily imagine has not magic.
Now I feel the exigence to have a new and better one, so I need a suggestion if someone of you has time enough to answer me.
I feel attracted by two constructor
1- Fadi Matta from Lebanon, I like very much model 3 and the luthier can ship it to me for 1400 Euro (incl. insurance)
2 - Mohammadi brothers (http://www.mbw.ir/) , from IRAN. Here I like very much the BARBAT (I discovered it thanks to Beheroozinia recordings) and the price is very high 5000 E fully ornated and there is no possibility of direct shipping, I should have to go directly in Isfahan to keep it.

I have never peronally played none of these instruments, so I should need to have your point of view about these business if you have time and experience about those two luthiers.

I thank you very much

Manuel
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 5-2-2012 at 05:22 PM

Fadi Matta's ouds are very distinct sounding. Personally, it's not the sound that I gravitate toward, but people have different tastes. Charbel Rouhana plays one and gets a good sound out of it.

The Mohammadi ouds look pretty spectacular. I haven't heard one, though. If you can afford it, it might be a good choice. On the other hand, if you can afford it, you might also be able to afford an old Nahat or Bedrossian oud.

Some other options to consider:

Michael Moussa in England

Matthias Wagner in Germany

Veysel Sarikus in Turkey

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 01:54 AM

You may consider Kamil Mowais as well, here : http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=12901

Good luck
Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 05:55 AM

Kameel's ouds are excellent. Good suggestion alFaraby.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
peppeo77
Oud Junkie

Mood: easy like ever

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 09:30 AM

Ciao Manuel!
Sono Giuseppe, sicuramente ti ricorderai di me.
Dai un'occhiata (ed un'ascoltata) anche a Shehata, facilmente reperibile in internet e anche più a portata di mano dell'Iran (il suo laboratorio è al Cairo), e a Sukkar, costruisce oud Siriani molto semplici esteticamente e molto risuonanti.
Io li ho tutti e due e sopratutto Shehata merita.
Fammi sapere,un saluto,Giuseppe.
p.s.
e
Sorry for all the non-italian speakers of the forum, I guess you got just "Shehata" and "Sukkar"...
:)
Regards,Giuseppe
DORADO
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 11:17 AM

hello Manuel

where do you live in ITALY?
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-3-2012 at 11:40 AM

Hello Manuel,

I'm looking to sell my Fadi Matta oud, you can see it here:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=9726#pid648...

I know it is not model 3, but in case you may be interested. I'm living in Pau, France. For the moment I prefer not to ship it, but we can discuss others options for you to get it.

All the best

Microber
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-4-2012 at 01:22 AM

Hello Manuel,

I have a Fadi Matta mod 3 floating bridge, 7 course since august 2011. I am very happy with it.
Before to purchase, you should consider the additional costs. Here is my experience.
1. A few days after delivery of the oud, I received an invoice to pay the VAT since the oud comes from outside the EU. About 320 € :(
2. The costs for money transfer : about 60 €

So I wonder if I would not have preferred to travel to Lebanon to pick up the oud myself. This way, I would have saved the shipping costs: about 150€ (?).

Total : 320€ + 60€ + 150€ = 530€.

Enough to make a little trip and have the opportunity to meet Fadi Matta.
But I no longer have to think about that. :rolleyes:

Robert
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 5-5-2012 at 12:19 AM

Fadi Matta ouds have the advantage of an adjustable neck/action, not an insignificant feature, especially if you travel or have varying humidity. Fadi Matta clearly makes very fine ouds, and is an intelligent man.

You speak of magic. That is so personal, and so specific to a particular instrument that it's truly impossible to buy magic by picking a luthier.

I have 2 Sukars and a Shehata. Every one of these ouds has a specific and different "magic". Both Sukars have a (somewhat) adjustable action, are more powerful and cleaner-sounding, though the Shehata is more ornate and more expensive. And every Shehata I have tried is quite different, this one is very zingy. A Sukar is generally a safer risk, more consistent, the only type of oud I would buy without first playing it. A finely finished oud is a pleasure, but not necessarily to your fingers or ears.

I also have an inexpensive Egyptian oud with MOP body. It's not at all a Rolls Royce but has a completely different sound that I like a lot too. If you are looking for Magic, the Magic is between you and the instrument, you really must play the instrument and cannot depend on the price or the reputation of the maker.
ExtreamTarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: ...Lessa Faker...

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 10:28 AM

Hey manuel , please check your U2U...
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 11:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
Fadi Matta's ouds are very distinct sounding. Personally, it's not the sound that I gravitate toward, but people have different tastes. Charbel Rouhana plays one and gets a good sound out of it.

The Mohammadi ouds look pretty spectacular. I haven't heard one, though. If you can afford it, it might be a good choice. On the other hand, if you can afford it, you might also be able to afford an old Nahat or Bedrossian oud.

A matter of taste cannot be discussed. It would be useful to point out that Charbel Rouhana's oud r floating bridge with a great projection that suits his playing. However the idea abt Matta is that he makes only this type of sound. The answer is no. It is true he made a lot of this specific sound in the past but he has gone back to the fixed bridge ouds. Some of them remind of the floating bridge as a sound and some others are made on purpose to sound traditional, deep arabic sound. This sound is being more and more demanded to him by users and the outcome is amazing.his oud do now have only this "specific rouhana sound", he makes a great variety and I visit him often. Matta's defect is he takes some time to be convinced he has to adapt to user's request, but when he decides to adapt, he does it with stunning results. Hope it was helpful info. Best to u all:)

Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 5-9-2012 at 12:00 AM

Sorry brian, I included my answer in ur quote by mistake. Apologies

manuel
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 5-9-2012 at 06:49 AM

Hallo you all are so kind and i want to thank you so so much. In the end i aware with Fernand saying magic is a point of light between the instrument and the player so that the only real solution is to travel search hope and try hoping to meet magic. About this and to partially change your courtesy i suggest you a beautyful book by Perry knize callex "PIANO SOLO" and is the adventure of a non professional musician looking for the"right" instrument all around the world... An incredible adventure i think may capture your imagination. Bye to all.
Manuel

Go To Top