Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Peg box has fallen off !! help
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 5-9-2012 at 05:53 AM
Peg box has fallen off !! help

Hello folks

I was changing strings last night and had taken them all off (I usually don't do this all at once) and noticed the peg box was loose and it simply came off in my hand cleanly from the acute angled slot in the top of the neck - no breakage just as if the glue was not there. It is a very good oud so not some cheapie thing - so I emailed Tasos Theodorakis today (he made the oud) for his suggestion but thought I'd ask here also.

What is the best glue to use (modern glues don't allow for any later adjustments so would it be hide glue ?)

I have an oud meeting at the weekend so may have to go up oudless - there will be a few spare there anyway so not to worry. I was a bit alarmed but as it isn't 'broken' not frantic but I want to do the right thing.

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers

Leon
abusin
Oud Junkie

Mood: Ya Fuadi La Tasal

[*] posted on 5-9-2012 at 06:19 AM

Ouch .. not blondie man :(

Not to worry buddy it's an easy and quick fix with hide glue after cleaning where the pegbox sat I've done it few times and worked perfectly.
Just so inconvenience at this time I know but as you said ouds will be available at David's, man I know how you love that oud and I am sure it will be missed by all.
I am sure you can do it now if you have the materials available and it will cure by the weekend, otherwise give Kelly a buzz and ask him to bring his tools and glue over and he will be able to sort it out for you "the glue will cure overnight".
Best luck with the repair and workshop "sorry I've got things pland so I am going to miss this one"
Please give my regards to Nizar and the rest of the clan

:airguitar: get well soon blondie :airguitar:

Best Regards

Awad
Kelly
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-9-2012 at 12:46 PM

Hi Leon. Don't worry its not a difficult repair as Awad says just need a couple of small clamps and shims to protect the wood. You can use Titebond Hide glue from Axminster which has worked ok on Mourad repair or if you want a stronger fix use freshly made hide glue.

Catch up on Saturday

Kelly
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-9-2012 at 01:03 PM

Hi Kelly and Awad

Nice to hear from you thanks for the advice, I'll get some of the granulated stuff I reckon - not used hide glue since I was at college so that wonderful pongy stuff will bring back memories. I'm not overly worried as it is very clean but it doesn't look great when the Queen's head just falls off ;)

See you soon, Awad it's been too long, I'll have to get upto Manchester - we have a commission in Liverpool for the Autumn so maybe I'll pop in !!! and we can walk the curry mile with arms full of ouds !!!

Cheers

Leon
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 5-11-2012 at 06:27 AM

Hi Leon,

This sounds pretty strange to me. Did the pegbox seem loose in the past?

When you tune the oud, do you support the pegbox on your thigh when turning the top pegs, or keep it 'loose' in the air? Make sure to support the pegbox so you are not putting unnecessary pressure on the joint attaching it to the neck.

After this is repaired (consider having it professionally done) make sure in general to be careful with this joint.

Good luck,

Mavrothi

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-11-2012 at 07:17 AM

Hi Mav

Never noticed it being loose and I am quite carefull when tuning and never put inappropriate load on the pegbox - in fact I usually cradle the join in one hand as I tune up.

I emailed Tasos and he said it is a simple job (I am a good maker of all sorts of things) so I am waiting for the hide glue to arrive. I reckon it may have been the central heating here that has dried things out although everything else is fine - no cracks etc ... Tasos said it was the hot dry weather which made me laugh as we've had the warmest April and driest winter but the wettest coldest May - It makes me want to live on a Greek island to be sure !!

It is a completely clean join and the fit is perfect - not shattered or splintered. I noticed actually because I took all the strings off which I don't usually do so it could have been loose a while but held in by the string tension.

I will glue it up in the next few days and leave plenty of time for it to cure. I'm sure it'll be fine - the thing is as I said it isn't a cheap or rough instrument as you know so the job will be done with care.

thanks

Leon
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 12:31 PM

Mavrothi, could you elaborate on that point, please? Which pegs are the "top"? I'm guessing you mean the ones furthest from the nut, at the narrow end of the pegbox but I'm not sure. Also I'm having a hard time imagining supporting the pegbox on my thigh. All those pegs are in the way. I'm missing something here.

Quote: Originally posted by mavrothis  
Hi Leon,

When you tune the oud, do you support the pegbox on your thigh when turning the top pegs, or keep it 'loose' in the air? Make sure to support the pegbox so you are not putting unnecessary pressure on the joint attaching it to the neck.

Mavrothi
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 01:14 PM

Hi Jody,

As you hold the oud like you are playing it, the pegs are either pointing up or down. In most cases, for a right-handed player, the pegs pointing up are for the 2nd pair, 3rd pair and some mix of the 5th and 6th courses.

When you stop to tune, hold the oud in the same way, but when you are turning the pegs that point up, rest the pegs pointing down on your thigh so you are not putting pressure on the pegbox-neck joint. That way you can push the pegs in without hurting the instrument.

:)

Mavrothi

Photo 25.jpg - 170kB

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 02:47 PM

Thank you. Now I understand. I would have thought that would put pressure on the lower pegs to the point of breaking them but I just tried and it's actually ok, it's less than the pressure of pushing the pegs in as one turns that is often necessary anyway.

Damage to the thigh is another matter. ;-)

Quote: Originally posted by mavrothis  
Hi Jody,

As you hold the oud like you are playing it, the pegs are either pointing up or down. In most cases, for a right-handed player, the pegs pointing up are for the 2nd pair, 3rd pair and some mix of the 5th and 6th courses.

When you stop to tune, hold the oud in the same way, but when you are turning the pegs that point up, rest the pegs pointing down on your thigh so you are not putting pressure on the pegbox-neck joint. That way you can push the pegs in without hurting the instrument.

:)

Mavrothi
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-25-2012 at 04:29 AM

Just to say I've repaired the pegbox really well this last week and the oud is restrung. Lovely to have her back.

regards

Leon
Kelly
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-26-2012 at 05:14 AM

Hi Leon Glad to hear you're back with Blondie just keep her a little loose tension wise for a few days and enjoy the beach!

Kelly

Go To Top