Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need ideas for a third course
ameer
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-9-2012 at 11:05 AM
Need ideas for a third course

Hi all. I'm looking for some advice from people who have tried a lot of different strings. I'm thinking of taking my Michael Moussa Gamil Georges replica down a wholestep because it seems to resonate better at those pitches based on the last time I tried it. The only problem is I use PVF for the first and second courses and I can't find a third course to compliment them. This oud is extremely mid-heavy so using a PVF or wound nylon third results in an unbalanced honky sound. The individual strings in a course are extremely close together so using a diameter greater than .038 inches results in lots of buz from the bridge area so nylon is probably out. I've thought of Savarez coppers but they're too much to the other extreme for my taste.
In a nutshell what I'm looking for is a more mid-scooped PVF type sound for the third course. I would also be willing to experiment with string materials people are aware of but haven't tried. Any ideas?
Kelly
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-9-2012 at 01:02 PM

Hi Ameer

Have you tried nylgut from Aquila. I'm not sure what gauge would approximate to Nylon or PVF in terms of tension and pitch. I seem to remember that the trebles worked out a little thinner than ordinary nylon . Might be worth giving Mathias a call I'm sure he would be able to advise if you give him all the measurements.

Regards

Kelly

Go To Top