Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: undertaking a study of Yekta's seyirs, asking for your input!
keving
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-16-2012 at 03:59 AM
undertaking a study of Yekta's seyirs, asking for your input!

Hello dear fellow oudis

I am undertaking a comprehensive makam study, specifically referring to Rauf Yekta's listing of 30 makam seyirs which I came across in the "Encyclopédie de la musique et dictionnaire" by Albert Lavignac from 1913. It is something I'd like to collect in an English language folio of some sort, whether it will be sold at some point or not I do not really know.

It would be nice to have your input or experiences about these makams. I would like to collect what is possible to definitely say about each one of these 30 makams, ie; tonic, dominant, leading tone, cadences and modulations. While there is plenty of English info on the primary basics, modulatory data along along with a comprehensive presentation of the seyir is less readily available. Of course makam is not really this much about head/rational knowledge, it is much more heart based. Absolutely, with out a doubt! But I know we generally agree each makam has a minimum amount of rules to follow in order to identify itself - and that is what I am concerned about hearing from everyone here.

- Oh, this is important, if not already understood, I would be approaching this from the Turkish/Ottoman tradition. Of course, I definitely want to hear from others, we can hopefully put each tradition in perspective in relation to each other.

Hopefully you and the list moderators would be open to this, ummm, I am hoping to cover about one makam a time. I know there have been discussions here previously on theory, I hope it is not too redundant to be proposing this.

So, to sum up, I am using Rauf Yekta's seyirs as a jumping off place to say something definite about each makam, I will use the literature we have available, some Turkish texts, Signel's book, and other online resources we are all familiar with to verify the accepted basics; Tonic, Dominant, leading tone, etc. What I think is the most difficult to find with much surety is the cadential tones and accepted modulations, that I guess is what I most hoping to hear from you about. Basics really.

You can find Yekta's article here: (His seyirs begin on page 2997)
http://archive.org/details/encyclopdiedel31laviuoft

With the moderator's permission I'll start a thread called "Rast".

Interested?

of course, suggestions and/or corrections are hoped for.

thank you! - kevin germain

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-16-2012 at 10:35 AM

yes please.

Quote: Originally posted by keving  

Interested?

Danielo
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-16-2012 at 11:16 AM

Hello,

I would be more than happy to participate to a project like this, it's a great idea. But to be honest, I feel uncomfortable with the fact that it will be eventually sold as a book (sorry if I misunderstood your project). In my opinion, such collective work should take the form of an open-source resource - some kind of online makam encyclopedia with free access would be a great achievement. (Maybe it would be interesting in this perspective not to give only the turkish seyrs but also the Arabic ones when they differ). What do you think :? )

best,

Dan
keving
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-16-2012 at 11:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Danielo  
Hello,

But to be honest, I feel uncomfortable with the fact that it will be eventually sold as a book.

Yes, as you should be. I did not quite complete that thought it seems. Well I was thinking of putting into some kind of pdf format, download-able. Up on a web page would be great too, tho I don't quite have those skills. The makams in notated form are mostly accessible anyway, but not so much English explanations.

So I WILL NOT CONSIDER SELLING IT... just a little emphasis for safety's sake :)

Quote: Originally posted by Danielo  
Hello,
(Maybe it would be interesting in this perspective not to give only the turkish seyrs but also the Arabic ones when they differ). What do you think :? )

It WOULD be nice! But that is a little out of my league, I don't have enough Arabic training to feel comfortable carrying it through. Certainly someone else could take it and add to it. I am going to post it all here anyway, so it will be accessible.

Go To Top