Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 10:58 AM

Just ask them

paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 12:36 PM

Hi Lute,

If you want to know the price of an oud, and you don't see it listed along with the oud, send a U2U or email to the advertiser asking for the price. Simple as that. As for their motives, you'll (as elreyrico advises) - Just ask them.

Regards..Paul
dkhoury35
Oud Junkie

Mood: IM IN THE M-OUD

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 06:02 PM

Just ask the seller via u2u and sabssabi is a honest man. I have bought 2 beautiful majestic ouds from him and very happy with the way it all went from price to delivery to product
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 08:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lute  
Dear all,

Could anyone tell me why most of the oud makers do not put their prices when advertising? sabbassi is one of them? Is this is a taboo?

Regards,

Lute

I know it's contrary to the mass market philosophy, but ouds are not mass market items, selling an oud is not like selling interchangeable parts, or potatoes. There's a personal element to the exchange that's up to the participants and is gone once prices are posted. Let's say buyer X is an especially revered musician, but short of cash, and the luthier wants to give a discount. Or the luthier doesn't feel confident a particular instrument is quite as great as his best ones, and is willing to sell it cheaper. Then buyer Y, who's the arrogant son of a wealthy family inquires about a similar-looking oud that happens to be an exceptionally great instrument... and wants the same price? I'm just throwing out some examples. It's up to the seller, how he wants to handle it. Nothing shady at all.

sabbassi
Oud Junkie

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 11:22 PM

Well said guys.
Fernand, there is nothing to add to your explanation :) tnx

Best regards, Samir
elreyrico
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 01:50 AM

Would you also like a barcode on the oud ?

I am just joking.
Maybe you should just accept that craftsmanship world has its own manners.

regards
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 06:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lute  
[
There is plenty to be said, they all missed the point about the subject I am addressing, or perhaps I did not explain enough! Many oud makers do this and it is not the right way,

Lute, because folks do not agree with your point of view does not mean they have not understood you. It also does not mean that you have not explained yourself adequately.
It simply means that there are points of view other than your own.

Whether it be ouds, cars, oranges or real estate, the seller has the right to advertise in any way he or she considers appropriate. If you would prefer not to purchase from someone who operates in that way, then don't.

In the main, ouds are hand made by artisans and if they prefer to engage in dialogue with prospective clients, prior to discussing price, then that's the way it is.

Regards,

Greg

Go To Top