Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: strange noise from the strings
eldad
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 07:37 AM
strange noise from the strings

i have a sukar oud with new "la bella" strings they tuned lower then the normal tuning and when i play i hear strange noise sounds like buzzing
Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 07:50 AM

Hi eldad, welcome to the forum :wavey:

and, you just wanna let us know or do you need help?
Please discribe the "strange noise" a bit more.
From wich part is the buzzing come from? Are you shure its the strings?
Do all the strigs make this noise? Do they buzz if you play the strings open?
What you mean with "normal tuning"?

BTW, its not unusual that new strings buzz. Just make shure the courses are tuned well,so the strings vibrate with the same frequence and play...play...play...for at least 1 hour per day. After a week or earlier the problem,maybe, is solved.

A few pics of the string-action near the nut and where the fingerbord and he body meets will be helpful.

Let us know how it runs out.

Cheers, Marcus

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
eldad
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 11:36 AM

thank you :)
the noise sounds like buzz that comes from the bridge ' and it happens when i play on the bass
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 12:16 PM

Hello Eldad,
I don't know if this help, but it might: take the string, which is causing the buzzing, off the oud, then check the hole on the bridge from which the string is usually attached to; get a needle of those used for knitting, even a small one, and put it through the hole. Then move the needle in a circular motion, gently, around the hole. This "cleans", so to speak, the hole of any tiny splinters and fragments of wood which, by sticking out, might cause the string to buzz. It worked for me.
If this doesn't work, then the buzzing might be caused by the strings being too close to the body. In other words, by the action being too low. In that case you wil need the help of a professional liuthier, because you'll need to get the bridge and the nut looked at and maybe worked on in order to fix the problem.
But I hope you won't need to get to that. I hope you'll be able to solve it rapidly and easily. Let us know how it goes. Take care
Giorgio
eldad
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 5-19-2012 at 11:58 PM

thank you :rolleyes:
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 5-20-2012 at 05:38 PM

There are many possible additional causes. It's sometimes a serious detective hunt to track down and eliminate. It can be as simple as pushing the loops towards the bridge, or doing what Giorgi suggests. You have to be sure if it's only on one course, or on one string of a pair, and if the buzz is really coming from the bridge area, as it can be a loose brace under the soundboard, a defective string, strings being the wrong gauge, the bridge holes being too close, resonance of some other element, a problem with the fingerboard or nut, and that's just the beginning. Sometimes even strings in the pegbox resonate and it seems like it's coming from the bridge. First thing is to isolate the string(s) involved by muting individual strings. Does it go away if you change the pitch the involved strings are tuned to? Happy hunting!

Go To Top