Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Learning Sunbati's taqassim
Masel
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 03:52 AM
Learning Sunbati's taqassim

Hello, to those of you who have studied the master's taqassim: do you learn to play every phrase percisely, from memory, or simply learn the general flow of things? How deep do you recommend going?
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 05:00 AM

Hello Masel- Sunbati is truly unique, his playing is so fluent that he makes it appear easy!
I'm sure many of us here have listened to his playing, and tried to copy a phrase or pick up a few phrases of his taqasims; they are both useful as a learning aid and beautiful to listen to as well as to play. What I have picked up from his playing I try put to memory, and just let it take root there, inshallah.
Once I manage to get a phrase down, I then try not to play note for note as he played for two reasosn- it would be impossible to play the same way the master played those notes, and I don't want to be in a Sunbati covers band (unless it paid well):D
regards, MW
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 08:36 AM

Whatever music I'm learning I pick a worthy model and try to copy it exactly in every possible way. This is a temporary measure and is a "technique " or a process and not an end in itself because the world does not need a second rate Sunbati. I know full well that I will fail because each musician has a unique touch and sensibility and body rhythm which cannot be *perfectly* replicated by another person any more than a fingerprint can be transferred from one person to another. But the effort to copy exactly improves my technique and improves my understanding. Once I have a reasonable facsimile of a Sunbati phrase (or someone else's) I then forget all about it and play what is natural to me. Every now and then that phrase will appear in my playing, perhaps as a template for something else, perhaps as a literal quote but with my own touch, perhaps as a paraphrase.

ameer
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 08:47 AM

@Jody Very nicely put.
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 12:08 PM

Riad Al Sunbaty is not just a great oud player. He's one of the greatest composers in modern Arabic music history.
Therefore one should study his Taqaseem as a composition, not just study the rough line or the Maqam Sayr .
It worth every single note.

Good luck
Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com

Go To Top