Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How's your oud hanging?
conroystoptime
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 08:21 AM
How's your oud hanging?

Those of you who hang your ouds on the wall, how do you do so?

I've seen people hang a length of cloth from a nail or a picture-hanger, then loop the headstock through the loop, where it's gently anchored between the headstock/neck joint and the nearest two tuners.

Any other methods/suggestions?

Thanks

John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 09:57 AM

When he was a boy, Munir Bashir reportedly accidentally smashed one of his father's ouds into matchsticks trying to take it down from the wall. One suggestion: Never hang a good oud on the wall!
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 11:19 AM

Much safer to use a stand. The $19.99 proline adjustable stands like they sell at guitarcenter are quite good. If you're tight on space maybe look for the solid wall hangers with an auto-clasp. I have not tried it, the headstock on a guitar is what it's designed for, but it's worth a try

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=AGApMXw4buo
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 5-25-2012 at 04:22 AM

I do hang my oud from our bookshelf from a system I made myself - it hangs from the pegbox but is supported from below also by a 'foot' attached to a dowel rod that goes up to the top so there is no pressure on the pegbox.

I recently had to repair the pegbox as it became loose and actually came off - I have done a good job of fixing this and I added the 'foot' to the hanging system today.

The thing is I like to be able to pick up my oud and other intstruments at any time to play so unless humidity is very dry I have them out.

Leon

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-25-2012 at 06:57 AM

An inexpensive reliable stand is just what I need but the closest thing to that description I see on guitarcenter web site is a $40 adjustable amp stand. I think you mean something else. Do you recall the model #? thank you!

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
Much safer to use a stand. The $19.99 proline adjustable stands like they sell at guitarcenter are quite good.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=AGApMXw4buo
ahmed_eissa
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud-y

[*] posted on 5-27-2012 at 04:10 PM

This is how I stand my oud.

http://www.musicarts.com/FretRest-by-Proline-HT1010-Guitar-Stand-45...

Any guitar stand will do.

back small 1.JPG - 104kB
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 5-30-2012 at 05:36 AM

Yes that be the one. There are a dozen scattered in my house, so a wandering oud can always find a spot. You can adjust it so an oud can sit facing forward too, it's also. more stable that way I think.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 5-30-2012 at 01:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
You can adjust it so an oud can sit facing forward too, it's also. more stable that way I think.

Yes!
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-31-2012 at 04:35 AM

This is how they hung their lutes in the early16th C. in 'Italy'. Presumably the engraver intended to show the instruments hanging between the double pins on the rack and supported by the lute pegs?

From "Intabolatura de Leuto de Diversi Autori..." by Antonio Casteliono, Milano, 1536.

Note that Milan from 1535 was under Spanish domination (initially under the rule of king Charles 1 of Spain a.k.a.
Charles V, 'Holy Roman Emperor'). Milan was to remain a province of Spain for the next 170 years. Interesting to speculate that the old luthier and musical traditions of Spain (formerly under control of the Moors) may have continued to be practiced in Milan during this period. For example the 'Italian' version of the Spanish vihuela - the 'viola da mano' - was popular among lute players of the time in the region.

Casteliono Lute Book.jpg - 110kB

Go To Top