Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Achref Chargui
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 5-26-2012 at 01:53 PM
Achref Chargui

Dear oudists,
Since I have posted a video of the oudist Achref Chargui (from whom I am going to take oud lessons in Tunisia in September) I have received a few U2Us enquiring about lessons with him.
He's a teacher at the Institute Superieure de la Musique in Tunis, he's on the Board of the Commitee which decides the entrance of the students and he also prepares students for the exams at the Institute.
Here's a video of the man in full flight http://youtu.be/TROVbG06xFY
Quite good, isn't he?
For this reason I am going to post his e-mail address here, so whoever wants to contact him can do so. He's very personable and he answered (and still answering) the tons of questions I had (and still have), giving me advice and tips for accomodation too: kingach@hotmail.fr
A month in Tunis in a low-end Bed and Breakfast close to the centre is less than 300 Euros. Of course, a room in a shared flat is even less, but there might be students living there, and one might have some problems when practicing the oud because of the noise. Apparently there's a page on Facebook which deals with rooms in shared apartment, but one has to be precise with dates. But in general B&Bs are very cheap.
Same goes for food and transports and leisure. The price is far lower than Europe and a little bit of money which in Europe is nothing, in North Africa can go a long way.
For those of us us esconced in Europe who are looking for a capable oud maestro to study with and perfect our skills without having to go all the way to the Middle East seems quite an attractive proposition...........
and that is why a few people have been enquiring about Achref Chargui and that is why I am posting is e-mail on this forum.
Enjoy and ponder
Peace
Giorgio
spartan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-27-2012 at 10:36 PM

Thanks for the infos Giorgio.
Achref seems amazing.
I consider it seriously.
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 5-29-2012 at 03:09 AM

No problem Spartan, my pleasure. Take care
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 01:44 PM

Hi Giorgio

Thanks for bringing this excellent oud player to our attention! I hadn't previously heard of him, but would like to add some detailed info about him to my website. Do you know any more about his background? I did some searching online and found that he studied in Tunis, but he doesn't look like he is from an Arab background, so I was wondering whether his family is from sub-Saharan Africa or even overseas?

All the best

David

BaniYazid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 03:14 AM

Hi,

His facebook page suggest that he is a native of Tunisia.
Tunisia's population is ethically very diverse, Berber (the "native Tunisian"), Arabic, Turkish, sub-Saharan Africa, Italian...
Sub-Saharan Tunisians are there from centuries, essentially for the same reason that there's Afro-Americans in America.
I may be wrong, contact him http://fr-fr.facebook.com/pages/ACHREF-CHARGUI-OUD-PLAYER/122386387...

Bye
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 11:30 AM

Hello David,
sorry for the late reply, for some reason this post on my computer didn't show the "letter" which alerts you that there's a new contribution to the thread, so I ignored it. My apologies.
I do not really know a lot about his background, apart from the info I am about to relate: he is a teacher at the Institute Superieur de la Musique in Tunis, he's on the board of the committee which decides the entrance of the students, and he also prepares students for the exams at said institute. He played in a lot of outfits of different musical persuation, including L'Enfance Rouge (that's how I got to know him, as the singer/guitarist was a colleague of mine as we made a few records together in the Continent eons ago), I have seen a vid of him jamming with jazz musicians and (I am not sure) played with Lutfi Bouchnak.
If you contact him and ask him to provide info for your website he'll be just too happy to oblige, he's a very friendly guy and really, who wouldn't jump at the chance? His e-mail is kingach@hotmail.fr
Take care
Giorgio
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 11:47 AM

David.....
so it's you who runs the Eclipse oud site!! Ha ha, I printed pages and pages of info when I started playing the oud, in a quest for knowledge on the instrument, and I found your site particularly enlightening. I still have the pages on the history and the tunings right here in front of me as I am writing. Small world indeed. Well, congratulations. It is really well made and it had provided an unvaluable help for me, as well as others who like me, take up the oud but live in an oud-free area. Keep up the good work!
Regards
Giorgio
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 01:53 PM

Hi Giorgio

Thanks for the kind words about my website! I'm in the process of adding some major updates, including dozens more oud players/CDs plus links to videos, so keep checking the site in future.

All the best

David

Go To Top