Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ouds around loud amped instruments
jefflopezstuit
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-29-2012 at 01:02 PM
Ouds around loud amped instruments

I recently had my oud out waiting to perform in a room where the performer before me was playing some really loud electric guitar. The guitar was so loud and had enough distortion that my oud began shuddering in my hands - enough vibration that I started to get worried that it wasn't good for the instrument to be around.

Am I over-reacting? Can noise from loud amplified instruments (like electric guitars and basses) cause damage to ouds?

Thanks for any replies!

- Jeff
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

Mood: Odar

[*] posted on 5-29-2012 at 05:44 PM

Hi jefflopezstuit,

I, for one, couldn't say—but it's an interesting question. I suppose there is some level of sound which could, in some way, damage a more delicate oud, a la a sung note breaking a wine glass. I have a 2001 Mustafa C. Turkish oud that is responsive enough to sound all its strings if I sneeze strongly within 5 feet of it (out on its stand, that is).

For peace of mind, maybe keep yours in the case during music loud enough to distort the space-time continuum? Perhaps the knowledgeable jdowning could, er, sound off on this subject. Oh, and as a practical matter, are you at all worried about your hearing at such times?

My 2 Lira.

-Stephen

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 5-30-2012 at 06:18 AM

Just to be contrarian, allow me to point out that on the contrary it could be much healthier for the oud than your hearing. Oud players have all noticed how an instrument "opens up" as it's played more, and there is even a device to rapidly optimize acoustic guitar timbre, consisting of a speaker driver that's attached to the soundboard, and some electronics (if should be called "11"). Maybe you should plug your ears and let your oud vibrate?
jefflopezstuit
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-30-2012 at 07:05 AM

Thanks for the replies folks! I've had this oud for a few years, and it's done plenty of vibrating...I used the term "shudder" intentionally, because what I felt way more than the vibration I typically feel when I'm around other players.

And for the record, in this situation, I and my oud both stepped outside so we could both protect ourselves from the noise!
:-)

Go To Top