Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Start building ouds as a hobby
jiggo
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 05:59 AM
Start building ouds as a hobby

Hello,

I want to start building ouds as a hobby. I've read a lot here in the forum and made a list of tools I probably will need. As I am not really sure, if the list is complete or for what the some tools are really needed, I have a few questions, but first the list:

- Dr. Oud's book
- rasp
- file
- sanding papers
- plane
- scrapers
- clamps
- japanese saw
- jigsaw
- bone glue
- shellac

1. Is the list complete, so I can build an oud with these tools? I will find a carpenter who will cut me the ribs. The rest can be done by hand as far as I've read.

2. I want to buy a smoothing plane from ECE, which is a German manufacturer here in Germany and from which I've read a lot of good things(quiete cheap too). Is this the right plane and enough for me?

3. For what is the plane really needed?

4. Can I also build a Turkish oud with Dr. Oud's book?
siaka1974
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 10:59 PM

Hallo Jiggo,

I Hope you speak Geraman!!!!

Es wäre besser eine Bandsäge statt Stichsäge.
Die Hobeln sind gut, aber nicht für den Instrumentenbau. Es wäre besser wenn du verschiedene Hobel von stanley, veritas....
Im folgende Seite" http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de " findest du viele Bessere Werkzeuge.

Hast du Seite oudinfo.de, dort gibt es viele Infos (auf Deutsch) über den Oudbau.

Wenn du weitere Hilfe brauchst, melde dich einfach. Du kannst mich auch besuchen wenn du in der Nähe von Düsseldorf.

Viel Spass beim Bauen
jiggo
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 06:38 AM

So many good luthiers here and nobody who wants to help me? :)
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 12:18 PM

Check out 'Most necessary to build an oud' and 'Recommandation for a saw' recently posted on this forum by em.20.
Marina
Oud Junkie

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 01:40 PM

Jiggo, why don't u play oud for hobby
than more people would be able to help u.
:cool:
:airguitar:
:rolleyes:

Good luck!
jiggo
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 03:25 PM

OK. So far as I can see, my list is complete.

Then I've a question concerning the plane.

Which kind of plane do you recommend(size, wood or metal plane, which kind...), because planes are very expensive and I don't want to buy more than one of it?
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 05:36 AM

If you can afford only one plane I would recommend a general purpose smoothing plane with between a 40 mm to 60 mm wide blade. Yes, good quality, accurately made smoothing planes can be costly if purchased new - less so if bought used.
Good quality wooden planes may be less costly than metal but are perfectly capable of accurate work. For example, the German made wooden planes by E.C. Emmerich are of excellent quality and their traditional 'Gent's' plane with 39 mm blade (costing about $59) would be a good bet to begin with. Alternatively good quality Taiwanese style wooden planes costing around 50$ would be satisfactory. These planes do not have the fancy blade adjustment mechanisms found on metal planes so are adjusted in the traditional way by tapping the top of the blade or front end of the plane with a non metallic hammer - a skill that is easily acquired with a little practice.
Check the Lee Valley of Ottawa catalogue on-line for details of these planes.

You will, of course, need to learn how to sharpen the plane blade by hand to a razor edge and so - to start - will also need good quality oil or water stones for the basic dressing and finishing of the back of the blade and blade bevel before honing with a leather strop dressed with blade honing compound for bringing the edge to a mirror, razor sharp finish. All of this stuff can cost at least another $50 on top of the cost of the plane.
Again the Lee Valley catalogue carries a range of sharpening materials.

You will learn how to sharpen blades by doing it. Check out the many detailed instructions posted on the Internet or available in books on general wood working.

Good luck.

Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 07:37 AM

Hi there

One more for your list ...

Patience :)

Good luck

Leon
jiggo
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 02:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jdowning  
If you can afford only one plane I would recommend a general purpose smoothing plane with between a 40 mm to 60 mm wide blade. Yes, good quality, accurately made smoothing planes can be costly if purchased new - less so if bought used.
Good quality wooden planes may be less costly than metal but are perfectly capable of accurate work. For example, the German made wooden planes by E.C. Emmerich are of excellent quality and their traditional 'Gent's' plane with 39 mm blade (costing about $59) would be a good bet to begin with. Alternatively good quality Taiwanese style wooden planes costing around 50$ would be satisfactory. These planes do not have the fancy blade adjustment mechanisms found on metal planes so are adjusted in the traditional way by tapping the top of the blade or front end of the plane with a non metallic hammer - a skill that is easily acquired with a little practice.
Check the Lee Valley of Ottawa catalogue on-line for details of these planes.

You will, of course, need to learn how to sharpen the plane blade by hand to a razor edge and so - to start - will also need good quality oil or water stones for the basic dressing and finishing of the back of the blade and blade bevel before honing with a leather strop dressed with blade honing compound for bringing the edge to a mirror, razor sharp finish. All of this stuff can cost at least another $50 on top of the cost of the plane.
Again the Lee Valley catalogue carries a range of sharpening materials.

You will learn how to sharpen blades by doing it. Check out the many detailed instructions posted on the Internet or available in books on general wood working.

Good luck.

Thank you for your detailed explanation. :)

I assume the "Small ECE Jack Plane without Chipbreaker" at the bottom of this site is the one you mean?

So, this would be the right one as an allround plane?

I guess the most important purpose for a plane is the work on the soundboard, isn't it?
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 04:36 PM

No - look at the ECE smoothing plane with wedge, that is the one I mean. I note that this company also stocks lower cost, lower quality metal smoothing planes by KUNZ (#3 or #4).
The site also gives some useful information about adjusting wooden planes and emphasises the importance of blade sharpening. I am told that the first year of the traditional Japanese carpenter's apprenticeship is (or was) spent just on learning how to sharpen tool blades efficiently and to perfection!!

The hand plane is used for pretty well most work on an oud for bringing flat components accurately to the required thickness and smooth finish - that includes sound board, ribs, braces, fingerboard, neck (top surface) and pegbox parts.

jiggo
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 10:13 AM

Thank you again! So I will likely buy the ECE smoothing plane or the Juuma No.4, I am not sure but I will try to find a chance to test the planes so I can decide.

How much clamps I will propably need and are c-clamps enough?
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 06:23 AM

Hello @ all :)

There is another site in german on the web... my own. I´m a "new" Oud-maker from Germany, building ouds as a passoin. I don´t know yet how to post pics, and even if it´s allowed.

This is my try to get contacts to others loving the oud and it´s music, and to all who are making Ouds by themselves.

I´ve registered here yesterday because an owner of one of my ouds has told me to do this. He thinks, here is the right place for introducing me and my work.

It would be great for me to feel welcome here.

Kind regards

Fritz
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 10:39 AM

Hi Fritz,
Oud maker in Germany. I think the news will be welcomed by all the european oudists.
And to answer your question, yes you may post pictures. Do you have a website?
Where are you located ?

Robert
from Belgium
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-25-2012 at 12:03 AM

Hey Robert :-)

Yes, I´ve got a site, check it out :-)

http://www.oud-werkstatt.de

There you can see a bit of my work... the Oud is my passion, more building than playing, but I´m always looking for a way to teach myself... the basic idea was that i wanted to play the Oud, and I wanted a good one. So I decided to build by myself.
I´m located in the northest north of Germany, near Flensburg.

How can I post my pics... or may (can ?) I post my website in my profile here ? I´m a newbee working with a forum.

Many thanks for Your interest :-)

Kind regards
Fritz
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 01:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by jiggo  
... Can I also build a Turkish oud with Dr. Oud's book?

You could calculate a ratio for the smaller Turkish oud, and apply it to the dimensions,but for a real Turkish sound you need to use the Turkish brace design which is different from the Arabic design used in the book. If you send me an email to richard@droud.com with your book purchase id or more info to authenticate your purchase, I can send you the specifications for the Turkish brace design.

Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 05:25 AM

Hi Fritz,:wavey:
nice website and nice pics.....but where are the soundfiles and the prices?

Gruß aus`m Schwabenland,

Marcus

Quote: Originally posted by Fritz  
Hey Robert :-)

Yes, I´ve got a site, check it out :-)

http://www.oud-werkstatt.de

There you can see a bit of my work... the Oud is my passion, more building than playing, but I´m always looking for a way to teach myself... the basic idea was that i wanted to play the Oud, and I wanted a good one. So I decided to build by myself.
I´m located in the northest north of Germany, near Flensburg.

How can I post my pics... or may (can ?) I post my website in my profile here ? I´m a newbee working with a forum.

Many thanks for Your interest :-)

Kind regards
Fritz

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 10:07 AM

Hi Fritz,
lovely looking ouds, congrats! :applause: Keep up the good work! :airguitar: Now I only need to know how much they are......
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 03:35 PM

Hey Marcus :-)

Ausm Schwabnländle also :-) Für mancherlei Fragen hab ich eine mail-Adresse auf meiner Seite :-))
Kuxt mal, und mailst mal...

Zu den sound-files... menno... bin neu hier und weiß gar nicht, wie ich die hier posten kann... oder pics... sonstwas.

Da ich meinen Rechner killen mußte (einschl. boot-sectors), is alles weg, was ich hatte... müßte also von den neuen Ouds neue files basteln... kommt ! Is zwar "nur" ein kleiner Digital-Recorder, aber nen guter. Abwarten :shrug:

Gruß aus dem nördlichsten Norden (Packeisgrenze, Gletscherkante)
Helge

Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-26-2012 at 03:39 PM

Hi Giorgioud

Take a look on my site and you´ll recognise the e-mail adress for further info :-)

More details per mail :-)

Greetings from Germany

Fritz
demir1987
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-3-2012 at 04:01 AM

Hi friends!iam new here.:D.i am looking for oud constructions,plans...I found all here,really good forum!!But i cant found the dimensions for the oud??????:(.I need the dimensions for the ribs,for the neck,for the end block,for the peg box...PLEASE CAN EVERYONE HELP ME:bowdown:??i need the dimensions
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 7-3-2012 at 04:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by demir1987  
Hi friends!iam new here.:D.i am looking for oud constructions,plans...I found all here,really good forum!!But i cant found the dimensions for the oud??????:(.I need the dimensions for the ribs,for the neck,for the end block,for the peg box...PLEASE CAN EVERYONE HELP ME:bowdown:??i need the dimensions

Hello Demir 1987, There are no standard dimensions for an oud. There are many variations between ouds. I would suggest you buy the Oud Construction book from Dr Oud (Richard Hankey).
You can find it here http://www.droud.com/products.html and http://www.cafepress.com.au/droudpress

Regards,

Greg
demir1987
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-3-2012 at 12:02 PM

aha ok,thank you.can anyone give me the dimension for any oud??
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-21-2012 at 02:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by demir1987  
aha ok,thank you.can anyone give me the dimension for any oud??

Hi Demir

You asked twice the same, allthough you got an answer :-)

As Greg already said, there are no standard measurements to construct an Oud. It is like the brand of any oud-maker to make his own design, beginning with tracing the wanted outline of the face of the oud. But first you´ll have to decide, what kind of Oud you will build.. an keep in mind, that almost all construnction-marks and points are related to the string-length you want. It is impossible to give any data of measurement, because every kind and piece of wood is different, that means, in example one cutted top to the next in one tree is different to the other... you can´t compare the two tops and take the same measurements for both. This includes the way of bracing, too !
This is the art of instrument-making... to find, what is "good" and what is "no go"... You will have to make your own experience with your own tools and your own skills.
But : Keep the idea to do it :-)

Many luck, and perhaps fun :-) and progress

Fritz
Fritz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Marina  
Jiggo, why don't u play oud for hobby
than more people would be able to help u.
:cool:
:airguitar:
:rolleyes:

Good luck!

Hi Marina :)

Are you playing or building ouds ?

Regards
Fritz (Germany)

Music is the food for the soul

Go To Top