Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Elie Riachi's risha
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 09:10 AM
Elie Riachi's risha

Hi,

I just received my order of Elie's picks. The heavy ones are a little too thick for my playing, but the medium ones are really great. These are definitely picks I'm going to be using a lot, along with the others that I've come to really like.

It's very cool that they are shaped like the eagle quill picks I've seen too, very thin.

Thanks Elie!

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 02:31 PM

Hi Mav, you are welcome friend.

What a coincedent! I have never seen a real eagle quil pick actual size, I just imagined and guessed at the dimensions based on Ronny's posts to the forum. I wonder about the stifness? How close is that to the real eagle quil picks Mav?

You are right about the Xheavy ones. but I wonder if it is not just a matter of getting used to them. I found that I could play fast and loud with the Xheavy ones by using the very tip of the risha. My next attempt will be to make some that are slightly heavier than the heavy but lighter than the Xheavy.

Regards,
Elie
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 10-20-2004 at 06:24 PM

Hi,

Wow, that was a great guess. :) The eagle quill picks I've tried were all much lighter than yours, but then I've only tried two, so I'm no expert. I'd think that the picks Bacanos used would be kind of like yours, since his attack was so intense.

I think Ara Dinkjian uses super heavy picks and glides over the strings, like you were describing. My playing is more like digging into the string, so a super stiff pick doesn't allow me to play fast runs well.

I do like you medium ones a lot, especially for the Arabic oud.

It's nice to finally have a nice range of rishas for playing, and not just one I like, and the others that I've got hanging around. You and Jameel are doing a great job.

I think an even lighter pick, just a hair lighter, would be good for me on the Turkish oud.

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 04:37 AM

I just got back after two weeks travelling around the country. Whilst in Melbourne, I picked up a couple of my favourite rishas from Bas Trading. But today when I got home, Elie's package of rishas was wating for me (Thanks Elie). The medium ones are great. When I first saw them I thought they were way too narrow. But when I played with them I was delighted. I have a new favourite risha. Thanks again Elie.

Regards,

Greg
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 10-29-2004 at 04:50 AM

You are welcome Greg.

Elie

Go To Top