Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Repairing a "Nahhat" oud
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 7-9-2012 at 11:59 PM

Great job & oud. Bravo !
If, for any reason, Dalal didn't like its sound, I'd be waiting around the corner .... :)

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
Yaron Naor
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 11:07 AM
Just to emphesize... (-:

2 (Medium).jpg - 67kB 3 (Medium).jpg - 56kB 4 (Medium).jpg - 43kB

jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 12:07 PM

Way to go Yaron. Nice job.

It would be great if others would follow this example set by yourself and Yair Dalal in making instrument details freely available for analysis and so preserved for future generations in written record. Otherwise - sooner or later - information about the few old surviving ouds may be lost forever as they inevitably in time 'go to the grave' with their owners.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-13-2012 at 12:16 PM

Yaron has found another two string fragments from the oud that he has mailed to me for examination. These are both silver plated copper wire wound on silk filament measuring 0.9 mm diameter.

The first fragment (#14) wire diameter is 0.16 mm, winding clockwise, filament dyed red - so this is the same as fifth course fragments #03 and #04 listed in the previously posted inspection report.

The second fragment (# 15) on the other hand has a wire diameter of 0.2 mm wound anti clockwise on silk filament dyed purple - so is likely to be from the same manufacturer as the fourth course strings.

Note that the silk filament of the core is dyed so the silk has been 'degummed' (i.e. the sericin of the raw silk has been removed reducing the density of the silk to about 1.35 gm/cc.) The silk otherwise has not been 'weighted' to increase its density by the addition of metallic salts - verified by the burn test)

For overspun strings it is possible to calculate an equivalent string diameter of the core material. This is an approximate calculation giving an equivalent solid silk string diameter of 1.3 mm for the fourth course and 1.7 mm for the fifth course. Fragment #15 has a calculated equivalent diameter of 1.8 mm. Solid silk strings of these diameters (like gut) would be pretty dull sounding but - theoretically - the fourth course would sound at about A#, the fifth at F and fragment #15 a tone lower at F (all at A440). So these calculated figures are close enough to confirm that these fragments are from the fourth and fifth courses for Arabic tuning CEAdgc'.

Unfortunately no fragments of the first and sixth courses survive.

Note that the images of the fourth and fifth courses in the inspection report incorrectly give wire diameters of 1.0 mm and 1.6 mm (!). They should of course be 0.1 and 0.16 mm.

Oud String #15 text (600 x 450).jpg - 82kB
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-16-2012 at 11:48 AM

"It is perhaps worth noting that with a nominal string length of 61 cm, it is unlikely that with gut strings the oud would have been tuned to a pitch standard of A440 Hz but more likely lower. The reason is that a rule of thumb, indicating the limits of a gut string based upon the expected life of the gut first course, is the Breaking Index where the product of string length and pitch standard frequency should be less than 260 (see the FAQ tab on Mimmo Peruffo's website - Aquila Strings)"

I have just realised that the Breaking Index of 240 to 260 given by Mimmo Peruffo above applies specifically to a lute tuned in G that is GG cc ff aa d'd' g'g' (where g' at A440 pitch is 393Hz) and so does not apply to an oud in Arabic tuning CC EE AA dd gg c'c' where c' at A440 pitch is 262 Hz.

In fact the breaking index of a gut string is given by the product of string length X tuned pitch of string. Practical experience historically indicates that a good average value should be about 210 for gut (according to E. Segerman, N.R.I. Instruments - http://www.nrinstruments.demon.co.uk).

So in the case of this oud, for a string length of 0.61 metres, the maximum pitch of the top string - to avoid frequent string breakage - is 210/0.61 = 344 Hz or close to f'.
So there should be no problem on this oud associated with frequent top string breakages when using plain gut at the lower c' string pitch.

The diameters of the surviving gut strings on this oud are quite heavy - perhaps in order to produce a more 'robust' sound than thinner strings might. The heavier strings equate to higher tensions - in the region of 4 to 4.5 Kg at A440 standard pitch. The missing top string at 4.5 Kg tension would have a diameter of about 0.65 mm in order to match the tension of the second and third courses. Apart from tonal considerations, perhaps the heavier gauge gut strings were cheaper, more readily available and more durable under the plectrum or risha than lighter gauge strings might have been?
Lowering pitch by a full tone would bring string tensions down to a more reasonable range of about 3.5 to 3.8 Kg. and consequently reduce stress across the sound board which, in turn, might result in a better sound board performance acoustically?

Post revised and edited July 17

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-16-2012 at 07:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jdowning  
Dropping the pitch overall a semitone to A415 standard on the other hand gives a Breaking Index of 253 where string life might be anywhere from a few hours to several days. The optimum Breaking Index value for maximum string life is 240 which would equate to an instrument pitch of A393 about a tone lower than A440.

Nevertheless it would be interesting to determine at which pitch the oud performs best acoustically - even when using only modern strings for comparison. Somewhere between A440 standard and A392 perhaps?

This is interesting and coincides with much of the recorded examples we have from 1920-1950 or so, being tuned somewhere between 1/2 and a whole step lower. It also confirms somewhat many peopless anecdotal and subjective perception that their oud sounds best tuned lower.

In conversations with Najib Shaheen, he has indicated that it was common in his father's generation to tune to "B or Bb" rather than C (while still presumably using C as the written reference in cases where written music was used).

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 12:43 AM

I have long assumed that oud in general should not be tuned as high as CGDAFC, but never managed to find references for such an assumption, though I tried to seek an answer in the Arabic music books I had encountered.
I use to tune my ouds a whole tone lower (Bb F C G Eb Bb) using regular 650 Pyramid strings set, and they sound much better. Lately, I tried low tension Pyramid Lute set for antique/vintage ouds, hoping they'd sound better at A440, but was disappointed. Even with such strings, my antique oud sounded much better a whole step lower.
This issue may deserve a new topic : "Tuning oud; Theory & Practice" or any similar topic. I count on jdowning to make the preliminary study for such an interesting issue.

I shall be waiting to learn from you buddies.

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
Yaron Naor
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 05:15 AM
The Nahhat in Action

Yair Dalal came to my studio to pick his new repaired Nahhat - and agree to make a small pocket camera video
Here is an image and a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMNeCEFGiUo&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy and thanks!
Yaron Naor

DSCN5769 (Medium).jpg - 60kB

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 05:54 AM

Sounds good Yaron. Congratulations.

I shall mail the string fragments back to you tomorrow - they are labelled and numbered with reference to the string report.

Thanks for the interesting feedback about the pitch standards for oud tuning Brian and Alfaraby. This also confirms my experience with lutes that are copies of surviving originals. Although strung with modern Pyramid nylon they do sound better when pitched a tone lower than nominal - i.e. as if strung with gut.
I have some other information and thoughts about string design that may be of general interest so will take a cue from Alfaraby and incorporate them into a new topic on this forum.
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 09:14 AM

What a great oud, what a great oud !

Nahat or not, who cares ?! It sounds heaven to me. Well, I'm sick on OLD ouds, so correct me if you think I'm wrong.
Our friend Nizar Rohana has a very close duplicate of this one, that sounds heaven as well. Just ask him :)

There's something, no Luthier upon Earth is capable to accomplish. Not even Usta Faruk, not even Master Kamil Mowais ... etc.; not even Nahat, Fadel ... etc. in their times, no matter how they've tried, if they've tried, they couldn't add AGE to their ouds !
It seems there's still no substitute to this element in the contemporary Luthiery. Well, yet !

Play it in good health. Long live, the oud & the owner/player/Luthier.

Good luck

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 11:12 AM

What a beauty, you brought it back to life! Speechless......
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 11:21 AM

Yaron,
I saw on youtube one of your creations, the mandolaoud. It is beautiful. I just wanted to ask you if you build electric ouds and how much are they.
Thanks in advance
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-17-2012 at 11:53 AM

Note - as I have misinterpreted data given by Mimmo Peruffo on his website regarding the limitations of gut strings (Breaking Index and Acoustic Quality Index - the examples given which appear to apply only to a lute in G tuning) I have completely revised my previous posting of July 16th.
So the reason for lowering standard pitch on older ouds has nothing to do with the frequency of gut top string breakage but may have more to do - for whatever reason - with a need to reduce overall string tension related to the use of relatively heavy gauge gut strings.
However, more on this in a separate thread and apologies for any confusion created.
Yaron Naor
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-18-2012 at 12:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Giorgioud  
Yaron,
I saw on youtube one of your creations, the mandolaoud. It is beautiful. I just wanted to ask you if you build electric ouds and how much are they.
Thanks in advance

Yes, I build electric ouds... I will send you a U2U
Thank you all

Yaron Naor

DSCN3353 (Medium).jpg - 36kB

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top