Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need advice for not getting ripped off!
LoveLightPeace
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 08:09 PM
Need advice for not getting ripped off!

Greetings! I'm someone who has no previous experience whatsoever with any musical instruments. I recently fell in love with the Oud, and decided that I wanna start taking lessons to be able to play it. I found a guy who is willing to teach me and he also said that he can get me a nice Oud for 450-500 Canadian dollars (I live in Canada).

Anyways long story short, since I have no clueless about Oud or any other musical instruements for that matter, and I don't wanna get ripped off, can someone please give me some input as to what I should look for to make sure that the Oud he is offering me is not a piece of junk or that he's not overcharging me...?
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 05:19 AM

Welcome Mr Love! There is a LOT of info here on (first) ouds, and there is no way to summarize. Use the Search function. If you have a specific oud in mind, take some clear photos and preferably a video ir soundfile as well, and we might have some reaction. If the action is not adjustable, and only Fadi Mattas and Sukars have it, then the height of the strings above the fingerboard at the neck-body junction (we call this the "action") is critical and should not exceed 4 mm, and many players prefer a low action around 2.5 to 3 mm. Also an oud should be very light. Heavy ouds are usually bad. But if your proposed teacher plays traditional Maqam music, he is probably an honorable and devout man, so you shouldn't be so worried. In our little community we are of very diverse backgrounds, but our love of this very spiritual instrument brings us together in mutual respect. I hope you find this too.
ExtreamTarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: ...Lessa Faker...

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 06:53 AM

Hey there,

Where in Canada are you located ?!
Check your U2U...
LoveLightPeace
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-15-2012 at 07:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
Welcome Mr Love! There is a LOT of info here on (first) ouds, and there is no way to summarize. Use the Search function. If you have a specific oud in mind, take some clear photos and preferably a video ir soundfile as well, and we might have some reaction. If the action is not adjustable, and only Fadi Mattas and Sukars have it, then the height of the strings above the fingerboard at the neck-body junction (we call this the "action") is critical and should not exceed 4 mm, and many players prefer a low action around 2.5 to 3 mm. Also an oud should be very light. Heavy ouds are usually bad. But if your proposed teacher plays traditional Maqam music, he is probably an honorable and devout man, so you shouldn't be so worried. In our little community we are of very diverse backgrounds, but our love of this very spiritual instrument brings us together in mutual respect. I hope you find this too.

Somebody else told me the exact opposite of wat ur telling me; that the wood of the oud should be heavy, and not light, because heavier wood means better quality wood!

?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 8-15-2012 at 11:01 AM

Fernand is correct, good ouds are usually fairly light.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top