Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Michael Moussa Oud
Timotheos
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 02:33 PM
New Michael Moussa Oud

Greetings all,

A couple of weeks ago, I received my new oud from Michael Moussa. It is my first "high-quality" oud, and it is wonderful. I was able to listen to Michael play several in my price range over the phone (he lives in England), and I clearly recognized the one for me. The phone turns out to be an accurate way of judging tone. It sounds warm and mellow with enough reverb to make it sparkle.

The bowl and pick guard are black American walnut, and the fingerboard and bridge are gabon ebony. The tuners are black ebony, and they do not slip. Top is spruce and the finish is traditional French. The action is VERY low without a hint of buzzing or rattling. I am very impressed about that. Micheal sent it strung with 10 strings, and I have a pair of high ff on order.

The peak of the peg box is really lovely, and the peg box, neck, and bowl are inletted with ebony. The black rosette really looks best with the overall color; white would not have. I think she's beautiful, and I hope these pictures do her justice.

1730 resize.jpg - 99kB 1731 resize.jpg - 115kB 1732 resize.jpg - 149kB 1733 resize.jpg - 91kB 1726 resize.jpg - 160kB 1725 resize.jpg - 171kB
ameer
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-14-2012 at 05:21 PM

Congratulations. I have one of his ouds and hope to get another sometime in the near future. Be sure to post a clip when you can.
markus
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 05:13 AM

hello Timotheos
- what a lucky man, you, to put your hand on such a beauty- although the photos are not detailed and the oud is simple one can easily recognise michael touch on it. I have not seen it on his site but I think it is one of his umkolthum replica style. I am amazed at the ebony inlays continuing in line all the way from the bowl, down the neck and on to the back of the pegpox, the rossette, the ebony/sycamore lines around the soundboard and the hole are phenomenal in precision. But I do not think the soundboard is spruce; it looks more like dated cedar- what do you and the others think?
I add my voice to Ameer crying for a soundclip preferably as video and more pictures for the whole front showing the bridge and pick
Congrats
markus
Timotheos
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 05:21 AM

Yes, Ameer, I've seen your oud and heard your playing. Excellent on both counts. As soon as I get something down well enough that it won't embarrass me (or the oud), I'll do a sound clip (once I find out how). I'm just beginning with this instrument. I'm a guitarist, but I don't even touch the guitar anymore.

I've picked up quite a few Arabic CDs, and am learning by ear and one instruction book.

And I've learned so much from following this forum. Thanks to all of you.
Timotheos
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 05:28 AM

Hello Markus,

Well, I asked Michael about the wood used, and he said spruce for the soundboard. And he was very specific about the bowl being black walnut.

I didn't photograph the bridge closer because here at work I found that I had forgotten to trim the tails off the strings! I knew someone would comment about that. But despite what I have read on the subject, those tails have not caused any buzzing.
I'll trim them and photograph the pick and bridge closely.

But again, I must learn something well before I can perform it. And my computer will need an upgrade.

And you are right about the name of the style of oud. That was the name Michael told me when I asked if it was styled after a particular oud. But I wasn't sure about the spelling, so I didn't post it. He said it is a regular line of his.
rex2009
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud Zone

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 09:50 AM

Hi Timotheos
Congratulation :applause:. This is a fantastic oud and I had the pleasure to hear it live at Michael's house. Michael Musa is a great luthier and his craftsmanship is second to none. His ouds are of the highest quality. Among his other talents that others people may not be aware of is that he is a great composer and poet. Above all he is one of the most honest people to deal with. We are lucky to have him here in the UK. Enjoy your oud in good health.
Tarig
stos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 11:00 AM

hello!

congratulations the oud ıs georgeous

do you have maybe an emaıl so ı can contact M.Musa?

thanks
ameer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 11:37 AM

His email is mgmmoussa@yahoo.com
nile pirate
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 12:18 AM

Well done Timotheos
well deserved, having such a master piece of work
but let me warn you it would not be your last moussa oud- every time I have one of his instruments I swear to my wife it would be the last one but here we are I have got already 2 and looking for the 3RD which inshallah would be Allethy style
so start saving and best of luck
Without being mean may I ask you A NAUGHT QUESTION- Is this instrument considered one of the plain 1000 dollar ones or the higher tier decorated ones
enjoy it fully
markus
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-19-2012 at 10:07 AM

hi timotheos
what tuning are YOU using- is it GADGCF- OR DGADGD- WHAT IS THE STRONGEST ZONE IS IT THE THE BASS, TREBBLE OR MIDZONE. Iam very curious to have the flavour of walnut- michael have not used a lot-
may i add my voice to the pirate asking about the price category of this oud
best of luck
markus
amna.al.hawaj
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-19-2012 at 01:11 PM

:applause: congratulations it looks great, could we possibly hear you play it? I wonder if it sounds as good as it looks? :D

Timotheos
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-20-2012 at 10:21 AM

Markus, I'm tuning it FADgcf. It arrived strung with 10 strings and the first course left empty, so I've gone with high ff. It's strongest zone is definitely the bass. The F sounds like a cello, very deep. When it comes time to change strings, I'm looking forward to seeing what a C drone string sounds like.

Anyone just getting to his thread should see the second set of pictures I posted:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=13058

I'll record something as soon as I find out how to. My computer at home is ancient and will probably need an upgrade. But maybe I can do it with someone else's computer. Any advice on that is welcome.
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 6-20-2012 at 10:41 AM

Gorgeous oud......and a bargain for the price (which is however on his website for all to see). It'll last for all your life (and your offspring's) Congrats!!!

Go To Top