Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: a splitting back (bowl) what to do?
chaldo
Oud Junkie

Mood: archaic mood

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 11:16 AM
a splitting back (bowl) what to do?

Hi, I have a cheap tourist oud that I like and would keep.

issue: there is a split in the back between two ribs, it is about 10 cm long and seems to get longer.

fact: by applying some pressure on the bowl, the two separated parts (1mm separation now) go back to how they are supped to be.

question: how would I glue them back together using simple tools?

thank you

Chaldo
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 01:09 PM

The oudmakers will probably respond with better ideas, but one way is to apply glue to the edges and tape it "shut" with an elastic type tape that will keep applying force at the joint, like vinyl electrical tape. The type of glue depends on what's already there on the wood. They usually use hide glue, not because it's trendy or organic but because it's cheap. I know liquid hide glue has its haters, but I can't see the normal player having to buy a glue pot. Anyway let someone else wash your brain about glue types, I'll be happy if the taping works for you.

But have you thought of keeping the crack and using the oud in special ways?. Like selling it to some simple folks after demonstrating that it's a magic ATM oud, that money comes out of that crack?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 02:03 PM

Hopefully one of the luthiers will give you detailed instructions, but based on your description this is not too challenging a repair.

You should be able to effect a decent repair with some parchment paper or a small piece of very light canvas, some glue (preferable hide), and some painter's tape, I expect.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
chaldo
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 07:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
magic ATM oud
we all dream about such oud! thanks for the tape trick.

Thanks also Brian, but how to use parchment paper and the tape?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 05:59 AM

Instead of just putting glue on the crack and hoping for the best, you put glue on a small piece of parchment paper inside the bowl across the crack. Hide glue works best since it shrinks a bit as it sets, make it a tight fit.

Get the parchment paper from an arts and crafts store or similar, not the kind used for cooking (that kind is usually coated in wax).

Use the painter's tape to pull the bowl back together, then add the paper inside. Painter's tape won't leave any residue on the finish.

Electrical tape can work, but it is elastic and will often stretch in response to force rather than apply force as Fernand suggests. You'll also have to clean off the residue (no big deal, but it depends on what was used to finish the bowl of the oud--you don't want to take the finish off as well).

You can mix hide glue yourself with an improvised double boiler (a small pot or cup of glue placed inside a larger pot of water).
A good suggestion I was given was to use a baby food warmer, it doesn't boil, it just gets to the right temp. for mixing hide glue.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
chaldo
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 09:34 AM

That is very useful! thank you a bunch my friend. I am sure it will give great results.

Hope you get those strings soon.

merci encore

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 03:42 PM

... or if you don't have a glue baby boiler, you can look for FRESH liquid hide glue at the hardware store.

Make sure the expiration date is far in the future, as it has a finite shelf life. Some say that the liquid hide glue is a little weaker than the hot kind, others curse and moan at the very mention of its name, though manufacturer's data indicates quite decent strength. But since this is not a very demanding join anyway, and the liquid glue doesn't require the boiler glue baby, it is likely quite strong enough.
chaldo
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 08:18 PM

Hi Fernand, thanks for the tip, I got this one off eBay

//

Mabrouk/congrats on your 1500th post!! :buttrock:yuhuu:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Go To Top