Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Interesting Build-your-own Concept
freya
Oud Junkie

Mood: Happy in the mountains of WNC

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 02:57 PM
Interesting Build-your-own Concept

I like the idea of an oud kit...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUILD-YOUR-OWN-OUD-SANDI-PRODUCTION-CANKAYA...

Cheers

chaldo
Oud Junkie

Mood: archaic mood

[*] posted on 6-15-2012 at 07:19 PM

wow I'm impressed! this is an amazing idea!

I would love to see a video of someone actually building it using this kit and show us newbies how! and all the customization...

I think this is a good start for someone who would love to start building instruments or for people like me who would like to feel this link between raw wood and actual good sounding oud!

Thanks for this

Chaldo
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 6-16-2012 at 04:29 PM

This is interesting. Zuckermann started selling simple harpsichord kits in the 1970s, some 15,000 were sold, and then better and better models. Depending on the skill of the assembler, such instruments can turn out very well indeed. In the finishing quality, also, this leaves a lot of choices. Likewise in the 18th century some workshops would make sets of harpsichord parts to be sold to luthiers, so this has been done for a long time. I wonder how the experienced oud builders see this? How much of the sound can still be determined by what the assembler does?
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-17-2012 at 12:22 PM

Ian Harwood and John Issacs were producing do it yourself lute kits in the early 1970's - complete with styrofoam mold, planed and thicknessed rib blanks etc. "Some assembly required", however, but the results were quite acceptable from my observations.
So, if it works for lutes it can work for ouds as well.
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 6-17-2012 at 02:24 PM

Knowing the reputation of this particular workshop (Sandi), I assume the quality to be fairly decent. I may try one of these and create a tutorial for others.
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-18-2012 at 01:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  
Knowing the reputation of this particular workshop (Sandi), I assume the quality to be fairly decent. I may try one of these and create a tutorial for others.

Yes, very good idea Bulerias.
I have always dreamed of building an oud. But it seems to me a huge job.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-18-2012 at 02:48 AM

Oh, Bulerias, please do! You know, this could be the beginning of something big. By analogy, it's estimated that Wolfgang Zuckermann, with his kits, surprised everyone, and brought more harpsichords to Earth than all other harpsichord-makers of the last 4 centuries combined. He put the harpsichord in the hands of people who would never have thought of owning, let alone building, one. He sold the very first kits for $150 in 1960. The customer would select and supply the case lumber. Some 15,000 of his straight-side instruments were built. Some were graced with oiled soundboards and were ... quiet. Others demonstrated the prodigious force of 57 metal strings at work against poorly glued joints and imploded into a pile of chopsticks in the middle of the night. Some never got that far. But people also developed clever ways to get the most out of the elements and the design (which despite appearances was in line with old historical practices, being light and resonant, unlike the piano-like behemoths that were being made in the German factories of the time). Enterprising souls would make several and sell them (hint).

I have one of the "slab-side Z-Boxes" (as the snooty owners of fancier harpsichords like to sneer), that was well constructed 40 years ago, and it's a very nice instrument. I used it on this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbxjsNXN8eQ

If a few of the kit ouds turn out memorable, and the assembly is not too difficult, I imagine a kit like this could bring the oud to a wider public. May the Force (and everyone here) be with you and guide you! Looking ahead, maybe Sandi would sell them to this group at a discount, and ... but I'm getting ahead of myself ;-)

norumba
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-21-2012 at 09:46 PM

that is pretty fascinating indeed.... i had a Sadettin Sandi oud for a time,and it was nice instrument, so I think the quality would be there.

somehow making an oud seems less daunting than making a guitar, but i still have almost zero skill set for this kind of craftsmanship....

bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-22-2012 at 09:57 AM

All instruments have their depth, and in making they are all difficult to master. However, I feel that lutes/ouds have a unique complexity that comes from the fact that EVERYTHING is a joint. And to achieve a perfect symmetric bowl where all the rib joints meeting perfectly with no gap is a major achievement in itself. Of course in comparison, there are no frets, and perhaps executing the bracing of an oud might be less work.

I ordered the kit. Should be coming soon. My reports of the product received will follow. Thanks.
em.20
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-22-2012 at 11:54 AM

I would be more pleased if the luthiers or wood sellers would sell good quality oud ribs(I know there are a few offers but far too little) because that's the only step for one really need a power machine.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-2-2012 at 11:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bulerias1981  
All instruments have their depth, and in making they are all difficult to master. However, I feel that lutes/ouds have a unique complexity that comes from the fact that EVERYTHING is a joint. And to achieve a perfect symmetric bowl where all the rib joints meeting perfectly with no gap is a major achievement in itself. Of course in comparison, there are no frets, and perhaps executing the bracing of an oud might be less work.

I ordered the kit. Should be coming soon. My reports of the product received will follow. Thanks.

Any news?
dkhoury35
Oud Junkie

Mood: IM IN THE M-OUD

[*] posted on 7-2-2012 at 07:47 PM

can't wait to see your video bulerias1981
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-4-2012 at 10:51 AM

I received the package.. they forgot to ship the braces.. but they wrote to me and told me they're on their way. I would say so far, the quality is very good. Small imperfections in the bowl here and there. But its ok, and not so noticeable when the varnish is applied. The top is at 1.8 mm, they have marked where the braces will go, but I'll likely alter that myself.

The neck is cut with the dovetail tenon already and fits into the dovetail mortise. However, the pieces for the back of the neck are not installed. This will be somewhat difficult for non-luthiers/beginners. Some special skills and tools will be needed to work on this "kit" as is. But certainly if one is handy enough, it will be a learning experience.

Photos of the product to come soon. Thanks.

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 01:10 PM

Hello Bulerias,

this is sounding pretty good. Did you began to work on it ?

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 10:04 AM

Interesting :D

Greetings from Germany

Chris

Go To Top