Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud Log
amna.al.hawaj
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-19-2012 at 06:13 AM
Oud Log

Hi Guys,

I've been studying Oud for the past two months now, it's my first instrument and I've very exited about learning.

I wanted to start a log of my progress and studies in general, explain what I'm trying to achieve, how long its tacking me and what composition or songs I'm trying to learn.. Stuff like that..

I'll share some music sheets and talk about techniques I was taught :cool:

If any one out there trying to learn a specific thing, please feel free to share what your trying to lean and keep us posted on your progress..

I'm a beginner so the things I'm going to share are simple, but you should feel free to share what you want..

This is about sharing lessons, getting some tips and advice, talking about what works and what doesn't..

Also about generally complaining on how hard this instrument can be :mad: or how great it feels to have learned a neat thing :buttrock:

I'm going to try and keep this log updated for month and at the end see what I have achieved...

I look forward for your participation, encouragement and support :applause:

amna.al.hawaj
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-20-2012 at 03:58 PM

This was a sad sad day for oud..

I didn't put in nearly as many hours as I should (six hours a day according to the agreement I have with my teacher) ...

Instead I did everything els i could possibly do :applause:

I practiced for maybe two hours tops :cool:

On the upside I cooked a killer chicken dinner and the garden roses aren't looking too bad if I do say so myself :D

I had two things to practice, one was a trimolo exercise where I had to switch between tremolo and ulternate picking consecutively and seamlessly., that I practiced for about half an hour...

I ignored the second practice and just did some scales and the few songs I knew and called it a day.

Even the oud it self was like: why no love today?

I then proceded to attend my lesson, and my teacher gave me THE look...

GASP.. I hate the look...

Anyways taught me a simple exercise.. too simple really...

Caution: lack of practice may cause teachers to think that your a bit of a wanker.. I think it should say that on a small hand book you get when you purchase your oud..

Anyways I plan to hit it hard tomorrow :xtreme: to try and make up for today..

Wish me luck.. :wavey:
RubabPlayer
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-21-2012 at 12:53 AM

Heading down this road soon too with Oud as a new adventure in music. Good luck!!!! One thing, teachers can give you "that look", but in Japan they believe that objects you spend time with take on their own spirit and personality. This is an old Shinto tradition.

Sometimes I think my Rubab seems pretty annoyed when I don't play it often enough. Just me? Or maybe the tradition is right? :)

Good luck!!!

Go To Top