Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Duduk in İstanbul?
stos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-19-2012 at 01:27 PM
Duduk in İstanbul?

Hello everybody!

Sorry ıts not oud related, but there ıs so much people knowıng so much thıngs here that ı thought ıt mıght be a good ıdea to ask.

After the oud the second ınstrument Im ın love wıth and I want to learn ıs duduk.

Im stıll ın ıstanbul for 2 days and my own research about fındıng duduk player/maker/seller have faıled...

so ıf somebody could help me ıt would be great!

ı heard somebody talkıng about stanbulı duduk luthıer but not more ınfo...

thanks a lot!:cool:
amna.al.hawaj
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-19-2012 at 02:07 PM

Wow I've never heard about this instrument before, it sounds really amazing.. Thanks for the introduction :D

I just listened to the fist hit I got on this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW171lfBZVQ

I also have an unrelated question that you might be able to help me with :cool: since you have been shopping around in Istanbul, did you happen to stumble upon any Lavtas?

A friend is going to visit Istanbul soon and I want to ask for one, but I have been told that they are not common at all in music shops... Is that true?

Sorry if this steers the topic off of the beautiful duduk... Good luck on your search.
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 6-19-2012 at 02:16 PM

Hi Stos,

I know a duduk maker in Kartal (at the Anatolian side).
I've seen your post just now (01.15 AM)
Tomorrow I can find his contact information and tell it to you.
You may call me in the morning after 10 from 0532.579.53.12

Regards,
Faruk Türünz

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
jiggo
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 6-19-2012 at 03:41 PM

I also want to know who's the luthier?:) I will be in Istanbul this summer.

But Faruk abi, you're meaning Duduk and not Mey or Balaban, right?
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-19-2012 at 10:36 PM

Hi jiggo, stos & amna.al.hawaj!

I telephoned to my friend Süleyman Aslan whose Bağlama workshop "DUTAR" is located next to the Mey, Balaban & Duduk maker Celâl Ağaç's workshop in Kartal to double check.
Süleyman confirmed that Celâl Usta makes also Duduk but could not affirm if the Usta has got any ready Duduks at the moment. "Celâl Usta has not come yet to his workshop" Süleyman said, and promised to check and inform me later today if there is any ready Duduk.
Regards

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
stos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-20-2012 at 01:44 AM

wow thanks a lot mıster turunz!

ı cannot fınd the exact adress of thıs Dutar shop

could you maybe post ıt here please?

ps : I tell about lavta when ı have more time...!
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-20-2012 at 02:47 AM

OK stos...whenever it is convenient for you...

Here is Süleyman Aslan's website link:

http://www.suleymanaslanguitars.com

He also makes Guitars...

Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 6-20-2012 at 03:47 AM

A few years ago, I bought a Turkish mey in Antalya.
AFAIK, it is essentially the same instrument as the Armenian Duduk, but with different tuning. I found several music stores in Istanbul, Antalya and elsewhere that stocked these.

The sound of this instrument is easy to fall in love with. I never cease to be enthralled by it (when played by others).
But playing one requires a better set of lungs than I have. So I struggle to get a few bars out. Good luck with your Duduk journey.

Greg

em.20
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-20-2012 at 11:34 AM

Duduk and Mey are very similar instruments, but there is a difference concerning the sound. A Mey sounds more harder and smokier. A Duduk has a very soft and smooth sound. Azarbaijani or Iranian have their Balaban, which nearly sounds like a Duduk.
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 6-20-2012 at 12:23 PM

I have a duduk but have never been able to play it - I would love to - it makes a sound like the song of your heart.

Good luck

Leon
stos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-20-2012 at 01:04 PM

ararat : I would love to play yours ! ;)

I ll try to go tomorrow to thıs maker but my last day ın ıstanbul ıs lıke all other last days everywhere : very busy!!
em.20
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-20-2012 at 02:23 PM

Is it very hard to play? Can't really imagine that because a Duduk sounds only in one key(means there are Duduk's in different keys), so there are few holes.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 6-20-2012 at 06:30 PM

Duduk is hard to play well for several reasons. Unlike a clarinet or sax, you must play with your cheeks puffed, and with a lot of force. I can play western woodwinds so-so, but the duduk is demanding on the lungs. Duduk players can play a continuous drone using a circular breathing technique that's incomprehensible to me. The second reason is that you don't finger "normally" with the fingertips but with the fingers lying across the holes. This allows you to play microtonally. The reed is tricky too. It has to be stored shut with a special cap, and you must wet it just so, so it opens up. You use a different length duduk for different keys or maqams, so that's at least manageable, you don't have to use elaborate fingering for different keys. It's hard to overblow, so it's rather a one octave instrument. At least they don't cost a fortune. And what a sound, it's very emotional!
jon-khachaturyan
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-2-2016 at 09:18 PM
Why not to order from Armenia?

Hi, I have ordered some duduk scales from Armenia, and they are really great.

Yep, the duduks is not easy to play, as you need to be good with circulating techniques of breath. For reeds, also there are a lot of headache. The first you need to open it putting into water for a minute, and then try to play. If it is not opened try again, again and again, but have to be careful, as it can be overopened, and then you will need to wait something like 5-7 hours.... :) Really crazy instrument.

The best duduks made of wild apricot wood, and it is very important to get the most of timbre.

There are several sites offers duduks. I have ordered from ethnictune.com and really happy with, especially with A bass sound is really like a sax.

If anybody need any help with this crazy woodwind, let me know....
Jack_Campin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-3-2016 at 10:03 AM

Circular breathing is considered an advanced technique, not everybody does it and the instrument can make a great effect without.

It's an easy instrument to sound, once you've got the reed right (easier than a clarinet). The hard bit is getting the intonation good enough.

FilipHolm
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 7-6-2016 at 02:58 PM

I play duduk as well. It is a wonderful instrument, no doubt.

Don't know any makers or shops in Istanbul but I do have some contacts if you are interested in ordering it online from Armenia, however. I'm not entirely sure that I am free to give out e-mail adresses or information here, so I won't just to be sure.
Let me know if you're ever interested though.

Whether or not it is difficult to play all comes down to the reed. There are "Soft reeds" which are fairly easy to play but have a harder, more nasal sound. The medium or hard reeds require much more air but sound very smooth and soft.
Just like with any instrument it also takes some time to learn the techniques to create that specific "duduk sound" with ornaments, vibrato and so on. It is a very fun instrument to practice, however, so that was never a problem for me. Just make sure your neighbors are alright with the noise.

Good luck finding an instrument!

Go To Top