Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wanted: First/Beginner Oud
delamora
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-28-2012 at 04:52 AM
Wanted: First/Beginner Oud

Hello everyone! I am looking into getting my first oud. Since I am just getting into it, I hope I can find one for less than $500. I am in Southern California.

Thanks!
ExtreamTarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: ...Lessa Faker...

[*] posted on 6-28-2012 at 08:56 PM

Hey delamore, check your U2U...
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 6-30-2012 at 03:46 PM

Please don't be too eager to go below $500. Right around/above $500 you can find some nice first Arabic ouds. There are some terrible money-wasters for sale on the 'net below $500 that are dead ends. You would not believe the quality of what is often marketed as a "professional" oud, for instance of Egyptian origin.
luan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-30-2012 at 03:56 PM

Yeah, listen to what fernand says.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-30-2012 at 06:24 PM

I know of a nice oud made by Dr. M. Moussa that is for sale in northern california (Bay area). It's his Um Kulthum model. It's not one his fancy ouds but it's a real instrument made by a reputable maker. The one on the magic strings website is bamboo. this one is not, it's made from European woods.
The sound is good and the action nice. It belongs to a friend. He is asking something like $600. If it's more it's not by much. The condition is perfect.

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 6-30-2012 at 11:33 PM

@Delamora, allow me to add some afterthoughts to cover the eventuality of an inescapably constrained budget.

If you are handy with tools, are willing to do a lot of reading in a short time, and/or have done some maintenance on instruments before, you CAN even get by under $500. A lot of the imperfections in cheaper ouds can be worked on/around, and even if the end result is not stellar (and the timbre could turn out great or dismal), such experience is highly valuable. Many of us have traveled that path to advantage, in the belief that it could be done. It's not true that you ALWAYS get "what you pay for". And no oud is "the last you buy" anyway. All imperfections but one: the action. Since the traditional oud has no saddle, no truss rod, no adjustable bridge, you are stuck with the action you get unless the angle of the neck is adjustable (and that's only true of ouds made by 2 or 3 specific luthiers). If your purchase has a high action, the instrument is hard to play, discouraging, and your options are limited, short of doing major work. If your budget is truly a problem, and you won't defer gratification, you can consider this approach, but you must at least verify the action, which should never exceed 4 mm at the body-neck junction. There's no substitute for trying as many ouds as possible to get oriented.

Another possibility is to go for a Turkish oud. They are a little smaller, but can be tuned Arabic just fine, and the inexpensive ones (e.g. direct from Turkey) tend to be better finished than the corresponding Arabics, and with lower action.

If you are like the majority of us here, the oud will turn out to be a more important part of your life than you EVER expected, especially if you delve into the Maqam/Taqsim system. It's worth hunting for the best instrument you can afford at the time, so it will cheer you rather than require a lot of work up front.

I hope this is of some help.
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 02:21 PM

"If you are like the majority of us here, the oud will turn out to be a more important part of your life than you EVER expected"

Absolutely correct Fernand, very wise and prophetic words........

Go To Top