Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud amplifier
manoutis
Oud Lover

exclamation.gif posted on 6-30-2012 at 08:17 PM
Oud amplifier

Greetings,

Now that I am starting to play some music with friends outside home I think that I need a monitor that can be adjustable. Also, I have bought a Godin's multioud and I would like to hear it loud and multi-sound. My other oud is a Sukar's.

Which amplifier should I choose for acoustic instruments like oud?
AER is my first choice, without ever seen one myself but I think that I dont want to raise the cost so much.

Does anybody have one to suggest with cost under 300Euros if its possible?

Thanks in advance :)
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 12:48 AM

The trend for gigs has long been away from powerful amps and to run everything through the house PA. With something like the Multioud, it's not just a pickup on an acoustic oud, so it's not a matter of looking for stellar transparency, as the source is highly colored anyway. And the Multioud has all sorts of settings. This is an electric instrument.

In view of the above, I can't see spending a lot on either a loud or boutique amp. Personally, I would look for a small practice type amp that you can easily carry, loud enough to play in a living room with friends, and easily mic'ed for gigs. I have a pretty complete recording studio, several amps, including a tweaked vintage tube Fender Twin that can shatter windows while sounding as clean as you want, yet the amp I use the most (for both my Shehata with pickup/preamp and Sukar with piezo), is a (Pignose) Gorilla GB30 Bass amp that cost $35 on ebay (the bass amps have a bigger speaker). Their GV40 Tube Amp looks very nice, if you can ever find one.

And do get some sort of flexible multi-effects unit with a (volume-capable) pedal. You'll have to try a lot before you find the one you like best. The Roland/Boss GT10, for instance, is nicely programmable, but the distortion settings all sound horribly Boss-zzzz-dry. Take your Multioud down to Guitar Center or equivalent, and maybe buy-return until you find your fave. After trying many up to $1000, I found a used Vox ST Tonelab I liked best for $120, it even plugs into a computer over USB, sounds sweet, though its "up-down" settings selector is limiting for gigs, and it lacks a looper. You might get by with a laptop running software effects like Guitar Rig for a while.

It's nice not blowing a lot of money on guesswork. In time, after you've really explored what you're after, you'll know which next (higher-end?) purchases won't just be a waste of money.
norumba
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-20-2012 at 03:01 PM

roland Ac 60 or AC90 chorus amps are very nice for this, and astonishingly the old crate Ca125D is fantastic for oud, though pretty big.

a well kept secret is the Vox Pathfinder15. with a little EQ and preamp, it works wonders for both guitar and oud. 120 new, and 60 or so used, i kid you not, for small venues o clubs, this can work.

Lots of mods and tweaks possible -- i'd probably replace the speakers with something a little less mid heavy and with more low end -- but a lot of people like to get these and mod them. google it and have fun reading!

I use a pair of these as a stereo rig in our rehearsal space, its fantastic.

Go To Top