Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: European Online store
Sash
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 03:23 PM
European Online store

Hi All!

Anyone knows a good, reliable online store with Ouds and accessories? (with more then Turkish Ouds - usually German stores are offering just Turkish styles:) - Orientmusikhaus Berlin.de

Does anyone have some good experience with http://www.mediterranean-musicshop.com/ ( buying, app. shipping costs in EU...)
I contact them some days ago, but so far no feedback. Mabey its because of the heat wave here in EU :)

Thanx for your help!
Sasha
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 04:22 PM

I have seen them around, but what they offer seems expensive for what it is.
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 04:47 PM

Sash, I wouldn't buy from Mediterranean musicshop if you are looking for a good oud. Some of the specimen on show on their website are what an esteemed member, referring to very similar ouds shown elsewhere, called "flower pots oud" or suchlike, and he's right.....some of those ouds you can see on sale everywhere, no doubt bought by the ton in Cairo. Fernand is right, and for my money 340 Euros for the oud at the top right of the page is nothing short of mugging.......you can see it on Amazon or on Alibaba for 240 Euros or so.....and even that is a big big rip-off, as on Mohammed Ali Street in Cairo they buy them for 40 Euros......but a couple of the ouds shown at the bottom of the page seem ok....shame they aren't real pictures though, are they?
Sash
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 11:15 PM

Hi,
I see we all are cheking more or less the same sites:) Yeah all the sites are almost the same, and I dont get the "safe impression"

The best feedback I got from Arabinstruments. I guess "the best thing" would be to spend some more money (taxes, etc..) and buy a Sukkar Oud from Arabinstruments :cool:

Hmm or even to go for a trip to Cairo ( its an hour or two with plane) and buy it there...

Hey thax for your feedback...
Marcus
Oud Junkie

Mood: Lost in music

[*] posted on 7-1-2012 at 11:23 PM
BerlinBerlin

Hi Sash :wavey:

if you are not too far from Berlin you could try this luthier

the best is that you can try before buy:)

Cheers and good luck,

Marcus

Playing the oud is like feeding my soul with peace
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 7-2-2012 at 02:50 AM

Yeah Sash, Arabinstrument unfortunately seems the only safe outlet for us Europeans....I say "unfortunately" because it's tragic that we have to rely on just a single establishment which is reliable enough for us not to get ripped off.....I have been looking for an electric oud for ages, and I'll have to end up to Arabinstruments eventually, because the other outlets don't inspire me any trust whatsoever.....don't get me wrong, good ouds and all, but it grates me a bit that the choice is so restricted.
Having said that, if you feel like jumping on a plane and going to England, there's Michael Moussa who makes the best ouds for $1000 (they will last several lifetimes). Or checking on the forum if someone is selling an oud close to home.
I have a tip for you: about three weeks ago I bought an oud from a guy in London: a Fathy Amin floating bridge which is a beauty. Really wonderful, and I paid £350 for it (less than 500 Euros). He had an almost identical one, and this one too was a wonder to behold: I couldn't make my mind up as to which one to buy, and I spent about four hours playing from one oud to the other. Eventually I picked the one which has a slightly lower action and it's more suitable to my small fingers. The other one has an infinitesimally higher action, but it's still very comfortable to play and it's really loud. You might want to check it out, if he still has it I think it would be a brilliant deal. Fathy Amin is one of the two reputable luthiers left in Egypt (the other is Maurice Shehata), loads of established oudists play it (from Farid Al-Atrache to Ahmed Fathy to Abbadi Al-Johar, etc. etc.) and the feedback from people is generally very positive. The guy who has the oud is not really into sending it around, but maybe you can work something out with him, if you contact him. Here's the thread:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=12905
Good luck!!!
Sash
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-2-2012 at 03:04 AM

Thanx for info Giorgioud and all together.

Yes it seems like luck is needed by buying an oud:) And the quest continues hehe...

BaniYazid
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-2-2012 at 09:01 AM

Hi,

This shop is nice, they used to offer Sukkar ouds, but it seems that they are out of stock :
http://www.creationdevideo.fr/catalogue-fr/rubrique/g-instruments-a...

They are also luthier, not only resellers. Located in Lyon, France
good luck
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-2-2012 at 11:03 AM

I can attest to having had good luck with Palmyrami. I have bought 3 good Sukars from them over the years at fair price. But be prepared for the full range of bazaar experience, from haggling, to listening to excuses, waiting, and having to prove your balls. Under present conditions, more than ever, I can't recommend those ouds located "in our shop in Syria", but the ones in stock in Michigan might even be worth shipping to Europe. In the US they deliver those in 3 days. If you see an instrument you want, they do truly ship the one that's photographed. Don't even bother asking questions, the ouds were packed up in Syria months ago, have not been unpacked, and they know nothing about ouds.
pasalimanikos
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-11-2012 at 04:28 PM

Just to let you know that if you want VERY GOOD to EXCELLENT QUALITY OUD's the best two in my Opinion are in Greece.

DIMITRIS RAPAKOUSIOS

http://www.dimitrisouds.com

and

Tasos Theodorakis
http://www.theodorakis.name

If you want the best sounding Oud and made to last these are the best two in Greece. I have a Theodorakis Lavta and its amazing and I also have a Rapakousios Oud and the sound is amazing.
I have been playing Oud and Latva for 10 years now and I have found nobody else who will take the time and effort to help you and teach you what you want to know then these two.
I started with Bouzouki for many years but I have turned toward the Oud (Outi) and to the Lavta (Politiko Laouto) from Istanbul as my main two intruments of choice now. I get more enjoyment from my Oud and my Lavta due to the extended range and tone.
Remember that most of the online shops are resellers and not the Luthier. I would never buy an instrument from a reseller because they know nothing about the instrument and are just selling it. They dont know the quality, tone, bracing or even the environmental effects that your area will have on the instrument you buy. These are important aspects to know when choosing an Oud. Check out their websites and give them a look. Both Dimitri and Tasos are friendly and will help you too.
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 7-11-2012 at 04:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pasalimanikos  
Just to let you know that if you want VERY GOOD to EXCELLENT QUALITY OUD's the best two in my Opinion are in Greece.

Welcome to the forums pasalimanikos and thank you for this, your first post.

So, how many ouds from other luthiers have you purchased and/or played? If you have not purchased and/or played the instruments made by every other luthier in the world, you are not in a positon to claim any one is the best.

Both Dimitri and Tasos are known and well respected here. But I doubt they would be comfortable being described as "the best".

Oud making is not a sport, it is an art and, as such, there is no olympic gold medalist in oud making.

Go To Top