Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Help tuning an oddly strung Oud
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-29-2012 at 07:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  

@Brian what would you suggest as a heavy set that he could use as-is tuned to cc?

The Aquila 9O is about 4.2Kg on a 61.5 cm oud; I haven't done any calculations, but I would expect it to have a usable tension on a scale this short (4.2 is crazy, IMO, except on some floating bridge ouds designed for high tension, I usually consider a nice tension for fixed bridge to be average 2.9-3.5kg).

The Pyramid Super Aoud set could work; it has pretty heavy trebles, but you might have to use GAdgc', the low F could be a little floppy. The orange set might work better, actually, but the g course might be too light.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-29-2012 at 10:03 PM

Brian, if the Aquila nylguts are truly 4.2Kg on 615mm, the diameters should be gg = 0.033" and cc = 0.025". Does that check out? If the other strings in the Aquila 90 set are also around 4.2 kg at 615mm, on Ashex's 510mm scale they should be around 2.9 kg. That sounds great!
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-30-2012 at 07:09 PM

I can't check right now, but that sounds about right.

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-31-2012 at 06:46 AM

Aquila nylgut is made from the small percentage of nylon that is not made by Dupont. I seem to remember Uruguay as the source but don't quote me on that. This nylon has different properties from the usual and as a result the diameters of nylgut strings are often narrower than one would expect.

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
Brian, if the Aquila nylguts are truly 4.2Kg on 615mm, the diameters should be gg = 0.033" and cc = 0.025". Does that check out? If the other strings in the Aquila 90 set are also around 4.2 kg at 615mm, on Ashex's 510mm scale they should be around 2.9 kg. That sounds great!
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-31-2012 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  
Aquila nylgut is made from the small percentage of nylon that is not made by Dupont. I seem to remember Uruguay as the source but don't quote me on that. This nylon has different properties from the usual and as a result the diameters of nylgut strings are often narrower than one would expect.

That is true about the diameters, but are you sure that nylgut is made from nylon? My understanding was that it is a different material (like PVF, its density is definitely higher than standard nylon). Where did you hear this? If that were true, I wouldn't expect that D'addario would have had to license the material from Aquila for their Uke sets (I asked D'addario about getting oud sets but apparently Aquila wouldn't let them have a license to do that).

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-31-2012 at 05:37 PM

I am sure that I was told by someone I considered to be reliable (I don't remember who but I do remember when; it was about 4 years ago) that Nylgut which combines the properties (but probably not the composition) of nylon and pvc, is not made from standard nylon. The synthetic material from which Nylgut strings are made (the unremembered source said) is called "nylon" in the plastics trade but it is understood that it is not the usual Dupont nylon and that this material is without the usual properties of nylon. And — I was told — that this "nylon" was made in Uruguay.

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  

That is true about the diameters, but are you sure that nylgut is made from nylon? My understanding was that it is a different material (like PVF, its density is definitely higher than standard nylon). Where did you hear this? If that were true, I wouldn't expect that D'addario would have had to license the material from Aquila for their Uke sets (I asked D'addario about getting oud sets but apparently Aquila wouldn't let them have a license to do that).
ultragroove
Oud Maniac

Mood: Athar Kurd

[*] posted on 8-1-2012 at 02:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  

From the Ukulele-String-research website about nylgut:

"The material of a Nylon family was presumed since the word NYLGUT starts with Nyl-. But according to the sales representative, it is a material with density higher than Nylon, (for this reason, it sustains the same pitch with a gauge thinner than nylon), and it is similar to the material currently used for the dashboard of a motor vehicle.

As a result of finding in the technical books of a plastic, Matt concluded that the material is possibly POM: Polyoxymethylene (widely known as Polyacetal), a completely different plastic from Nylon. Since the density of Polyacetal is 1.41, a little more than 20% heavier than Nylon, which has a density of 1.14, and the material color is white and is used for the interior of a car, it is presumed to be true."

greetings!

Ashex
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 10:24 PM

Wow, I am absolutely blown away by the knowledge and help being given to me. Fernand you will not be forgotten as I spend time learning the oud as it's from your knowledge that I am able to string it and tune it.

From what I've gathered I will try F AA DD gg cc, I'll purchase Daniel Mari strings (the arabic set for lower tension) and two plain nylon guitar g strings with a gauge around 0.038" then follow the instructions in fernands post.

If I'm not satisfied with the results I'll consider getting the Pyramid strings per Giorgiouds suggestion.

Once I get a hang of the oud I'll post a video so you may all listen to it :)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top