Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rishas, yet again...
Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 12:01 AM
Rishas, yet again...

Hi.

I have been playing with stiff rishas for some time now.

Over the last year I have had some wrist / circulation issues.
I am doing stretches and warm ups a lot, this helps but I may possibly have to see a doctor.

I need volume as I play live with louder instruments; sax etc.
But I do use a mic as well...

I am trying softer (medium) ones to see if this helps.
Tremolo and fast passages, as well as volume are issues.

I have read many good posts in the past about similar issues but would appreciate any help.:cool:

David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 01:44 AM

Hi Jonathan,

I don't know about your wrist / circulation issues, but to me, a softer risha asks for more efforts.

I alternate horn and turtoise-shell. The horn risha I use is 0,70 mm thick, just a little bit too soft (there's a small delay). The turtoise-shell is 0,65 mm thick, the response is perfect with the right flexiblity and the keratin makes the risha slips on the strings easily. It gives the loudest sound I've ever heard on oud, clear and bright, the sound is so big that my ear above the sound hole is painful after a few days... Nothing is perfect! By the way, turtoise-shell might be a good choice for you, I mean it combines the advantages of hard and medium rishi, my wrist is in vacation when I use it (not my fingers on the neck...).
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 02:39 AM

The old carpal tunnel maybe? My doctor gave me, well, that's an exaggeration, let's say "provided", a wrist brace that keeps the whole wrist stiff. It was such a nuisance that I decided I was fine after all, and tossed it in a drawer. I was cured. If you provide a self addressed Fedex envelope and 25 euros I will send it to you so you can be cured too.

As to David's tortoise shell risha, that's more difficult, as the last great tortoise on the Galapagos just died, and they unreasonably insisted on burial in full dress, even though a risha donor card was found in his nest. Actually they tried calling the "David B." whose name was on the card, but he had apparently gone deaf as he kept repeating "Allo?", so they just buried the tortoise, shell and all.

But seriously, maybe you could try a wrist brace and who knows, it may teach you a different style while your wrist heals.
David.B
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 03:32 AM

Luckily I bought glasses to read fernandraynaud's jokes -> http://www.maisonbonnet.com/creations/ ;)

La Maison Bonnet respects the Washington Convention for his work, no turtles were killed for the manufacture of such glasses. Anyway, I get off topic! :cool:
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 10:26 AM

Hi Jono,

Can I ask you (what probably amounts to) a stupid question: Do you have an oud teacher? The I ask because, if you are a converted guitar player (like many of us), oud picking technique is very different. I began dabbling with the oud without proper instruction, and promptly developed the beginnings of carpal tunnel syndrome in my right wrist. I was lucky enough to get some proper instruction fairly early on from two live teachers (Yair & Naser: My wrist thanks you every day!). Oud risha/misrap technique requires a much lighter grip on the pick and looser wrist technique than guitar. Practice doing fast, but very patterned runs, and tremolos (Ar. "rashi" = "sprinkling"), keeping your picking wrist as relaxed as possible, i.e., try hard to fight the urge to tighten up as you pick faster.

As far as volume: If you are playing with a loud band, I think you are best off with a relatively hard and indestructable risha (nylon cable tie?) and an electronic pickup (though I often detest the sound quality with pickups).

Good luck,
"Udi"John
Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 01:09 PM

Hi:):cool:

Thanks everyone for the help and advice:)
Much appreciated.

I will stick to the stiffer rishas then, I am mostly used to these anyway.
I have a gazelle horn risha I got from Aleppo, I might try using this for a while.
I have heaps of different rishas, from really soft Turkish style to very stiff.

LOL also:D

I will see the doctor soon, but it may well just be getting cold hands in the Winter/ circulation.

Yes, I had a really good teacher (from Cairo).
When I started playing i was self taught, when I got lessons i had to relearn the technique completely
I don't play guitar hardly at all now, just oud and ney.
The guitar technique (and guitar) seem a little weird to play now LOL.

I agree, I will keep my wrist relaxed and always start with warm up exercises.
Also, I prefer to use a mic than a pickup too.

Thanks again .:)

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 11:02 PM

When I first saw these I thought they were silly, but Bill Ostrie recommended them, so I tried a pair. No joke.

http://www.ostriemusicsupplies.com/wristies.htm

They really feel great when it's even the slightest bit cold. I have lousy circulation (it's called Raynaud's), so it always feels chilly to me. It may seem surprising, but as your hands get warm, you feel and play better. Like putting your hands under warm water, it helps to reduce tension and headaches. They helped my wrist discomfort a lot more than a brace, and they are very comfortable. Their only weakness is they easily get misplaced. I can't find mine right now. You can make your own by cutting the fingers off a pair of cheap poly fleece gloves, they don't have to reach to your elbows, although the Wristies reach higher than typical gloves and so are better for carpal tunnel problems.

http://www.wristies.com/Original_Wristies_s/20.htm
Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-16-2012 at 06:42 PM

Hi:).
Good idea, i will look into this.
Thanks!
paulO
Oud Junkie

Mood: Utz

[*] posted on 7-16-2012 at 10:27 PM

If you're using a microphone to amplify your oud - you really should install a pickup. No, they don't sound as good as a microphone, but they do allow you to get a lot more volume than a mic - the placement is crucial in getting the most natural sound, so you'll need an installer who's willing to experiment a bit.

If you insist on using a mic - you'll need to get the other band members to play softer -- more towards the "other" end of the dynamics scale; a radical idea, but it's worth a shot. Good luck man.

Regards..PaulO
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 10:38 AM

Hi guys. I sell rishis on my website. Some are already pre-made, and I also do custom rishis for those with specific requests.

http://johnvergaramusic.com/?page_id=181

Lizzi Tremayne
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-24-2013 at 08:45 AM

Hello Jono in NZ, I have just been gifted with an Arabic oud and it has been strung a bit wonky-like... there are only five courses used, and they are on the five highest courses (when holding the oud) and the bridge holes closest to the ground when holding) have not been used. I think I need to move all the strings down, assuming that the missing one is the highest... but I'm not sure. I need one more string (not sure if it is meant to be the one on the thicker end or thinner, so prob need a whole new set..... I play guiter, but want to do this!

Enough gobbledygook... would you mind please asking a few queries?
Do you have a source of strings in NZ?

Do you know of anyone who plays and teaches in NZ? I am in Waihi, nearest to Hamilton, of the bigger cities.

I have "Oud Method" by J Bilezikjian, but it is for Turkish ouds. It was in the case when my partner bought the oud for me. I perceive (from reading it three times) that it would be a very destructive idea to tune an Arabic oud to the tension of a Turkish, so not going there, and I have not the desire/ ability/ brainpower? to try to transcribe every exercise, etc... to Arabic tunings and notes... (I know enough about music to know that it would make me more nuts..., but not really enough to fix it.) I have found Mel Bay Presents The Basics of Oud (Book and DVD) - Marina Toshich; on Amazon, can anyone recommend better for Arabic oud, if we cannot find a nearby teacher?

Also, the pegs... mmm the 11th peg is present, albeit handcarved out of a very soft, and crumbling, wood. Prob old pine... needs replacement.

Help please?
Thanks all,
Lizzi

Justum Perficito ... Do Right and Fear Nothing

Liz Thompson now writing as Lizzi Tremayne
Blog: http://bluemistlizzi.wordpress.com
Twitter: LizziTremayne
Facebook: LizziTremayne
Email: liz@bmevc.co.nz
David.B
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-24-2013 at 09:59 AM

Hi Lizzi,

You should have a look at CD & Book Reviews

Good luck
Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-24-2013 at 02:07 PM

Hi Lizzi as well.

http://www.oud.eclipse.co.uk/stringing.html

David Parfitt's website is very helpful for many things.

I teach oud and nay but am based in Christchurch.
I would recommend the Jamil Bashir methods.

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=10247#pid69...

Also there are good video exercises on basic maqamat here too:

http://www.mikeouds.com/video/learn.html

This site is also very helpful:

http://www.maqamworld.com/

I would recommend Marina's book too.

As far as strings go I would recommend Brian's website:

http://www.oudstrings.com/

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-24-2013 at 09:53 PM

And as I always heartily recommend OudProf's DVD entitled something like Learn Maqamat on Oud version 2 (and available via e-bay), allow me to do so for you. Getting into the whole Maqam system is entering a new world you won't regret at least spending some concentrated time in.

I'm just getting back to (also) playing guitars after a two+ year break in which I focused solely on oud, and I think I'm a more complete person and a better musician for it. The most impoverished way to approach the oud is to treat it as a variety of guitar with some technique issues, and to learn nothing new on the theoretical plane. Now that I've learned to use the risha, I can use my fingers as well. Now that I've learned Maqamat, I can approach Western harmony in a new way.

Go To Top