Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Peterson SC-1 StroboClip
David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 7-15-2012 at 03:44 AM
Peterson SC-1 StroboClip

http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=168&sub=545&am...

"Oud
OUD: (pure intervals).

Maqamat Eastern Temperaments
RAS: Optimized Peterson settings for Maqam Rast.
SUZ: Optimized Peterson settings for Maqam Suznak.
NAI: Optimized Peterson settings for Maqam Nairuz."

Marketing stuff?
torrevieja
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-15-2012 at 10:52 AM

I'm not sure but maybe these settings are optimized for teperated tuning systems like buzz feiten or earvana system used in guitars. It basically consists in giving a unique scale length for each string, according with its own tension.

The concept rests that 1) necks are never completly straight and 2) different tensions of each string so, depending with string and where in the fretboard, you apply different tension to the string, so tuning varies. I'm not explaing myself very good, sorry. An example.

In a guitar, if you press the string in the middle of fretboard, where action is higher, you'll increase the pitch more than when you press the string in the firs frets (close to nut). Also, when you press a bigger string you have to apply more preassure so tuning will go up more than with lighter strings.

Anyway, as ouds have no frets, I don't see the problem. And, plus, maybe Peterson is not talking about that.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-15-2012 at 03:03 PM

I wonder what the Peterson tunings actually do. On something like AP Tuner, you can build e.g. a Rast tuning, so that if you play e.g. E half flat correctly, it will show the note as E (not E half flat) perfectly centered. In that way you might use AP Tuner to check your intonation a little easier while you play, because you can see the centered note easier than if it's displayed as between E and E-flat. But it wouldn't be used for tuning the strings.
torrevieja
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-16-2012 at 12:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
I wonder what the Peterson tunings actually do. On something like AP Tuner, you can build e.g. a Rast tuning, so that if you play e.g. E half flat correctly, it will show the note as E (not E half flat) perfectly centered. In that way you might use AP Tuner to check your intonation a little easier while you play, because you can see the centered note easier than if it's displayed as between E and E-flat. But it wouldn't be used for tuning the strings.

Probably you're right
David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 7-16-2012 at 12:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  

You nailed it!

I've been hooked by marketing and I bought one a few days ago. I focused on the open strings and pure intervals: on C3 G2 D2 A1 F1 C1 I can't hear/see differences between the sweetened mode and the ET one.

On Rast, the stroboscope stops on E half flat (Eb is written on the screen).

At last, the battery indicator appears after 3 uses!

In conclusion, back to the store.

Go To Top