Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dream Oud
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-22-2012 at 12:00 PM
Dream Oud

Last night I had a dream in which I had a beautiful and unusual oud. It weighed almost nothing and the proportions were unusual in that the bowl was proportionately deeper in respect to the the soundboard but the soundboard was slightly smaller than usual so in inches or centimeters the bowl was no deeper than usual. The sound was captivating and tinged with "purple". (sorry, can't explain, it made sense in the dream). Bass, mids, and trebles were in perfect proportion. In this dream I was amazed that I had forgotten that I had this oud. Especially because it was hanging on an instrument stand in plain view.

Has anyone else played an enchanted oud in their dreams?
chaldo
Oud Junkie

Mood: archaic mood

[*] posted on 7-22-2012 at 12:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  
Last night I had a dream in which I had a beautiful and unusual oud. It weighed almost nothing and the proportions were unusual in that the bowl was proportionately deeper in respect to the the soundboard but the soundboard was slightly smaller than usual so in inches or centimeters the bowl was no deeper than usual. The sound was captivating and tinged with "purple". (sorry, can't explain, it made sense in the dream). Bass, mids, and trebles were in perfect proportion. In this dream I was amazed that I had forgotten that I had this oud. Especially because it was hanging on an instrument stand in plain view.

to answer your question ... yes I admit, but in your case, ask the moderators to elevate you from Oud Junkie to Oud Psychopath:D! welcome to the oud dreamer`s club friend:xtreme:
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-22-2012 at 12:25 PM

"Oud psychopath"! What an honor.

Quote: Originally posted by chaldo  
Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  

to answer your question ... yes I admit, but in your case, ask the moderators to elevate you from Oud Junkie to Oud Psychopath:D! welcome to the oud dreamer`s club friend:xtreme:
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-22-2012 at 09:38 PM

The oud in your dream is probably symbolic of an insight or quality that's in plain view but overlooked ...
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 02:05 AM

I always dream of ouds, in various guises and circumstances, and I am sure the amateur Freuds around might have a field day analysing them: in one I was surrounded by inestimable vintage ouds which started falling off the wall one by one, all falling to pieces, and me running away to avoid having to pay for them.......
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 06:55 AM

About 10 years ago I experienced a similar event in waking life. Substitute "violin" for "oud". I did not flee though.

Quote: Originally posted by Giorgioud  
I always dream of ouds, in various guises and circumstances, and I am sure the amateur Freuds around might have a field day analysing them: in one I was surrounded by inestimable vintage ouds which started falling off the wall one by one, all falling to pieces, and me running away to avoid having to pay for them.......
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-23-2012 at 05:33 PM

Giorgi, clearly your dream means you are buying too many ouds.
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-24-2012 at 12:30 AM

I think you might be right there, Fernand.....I bought more ouds(and related instruments like the Arab-Andalus mandole) than I could really afford, and now, in this particular moment of penury in my life, I am thinking of.....oh the pain of uttering such words......se....sel...(can't bring myself to say it!)..sell...unloading a couple! There! I said it! Because of the ineluttable law of Karma, I am sure my sleep will be plagued henceforward by scores of falling, crumbling ouds for the rest of my existence :))
MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 7-26-2012 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Giorgioud  

come on lads, it dosn't take a Frued or a Jung to see that you guys are all dreaming about women in the guises of ouds...
and Giorgio - you not having to pay for the dinner or night out.:D
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 7-26-2012 at 01:41 PM

Interesting dreams, Jody & Giorgi! My oud-related dreams are almost always nightmares: Arriving at the luthiery shop to buy an oud on my last day in Cairo (or Istanbul or...) only to find them closed for "siesta." :(
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-28-2012 at 05:03 AM

Matthew,
Hahaha, I think I'll implement my dream next time there's a dinner in sight: "sorry love, just nipping to the gents'", and then do a runner from the toilet's window :D

John,
in order to avoid such nightmares in the future, if you ever go to Egypt you'll have to book your return flight from Cairo in the evening, so you can go shopping for ouds early in the morning. From 12.30 to 17.00 is siesta time in the mediterranean world, and that's sacred!!! I should know, even though in Italy siesta is only from 13.00 to 16.00....bah!!!!
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

Mood: Odar

[*] posted on 7-28-2012 at 09:33 AM

My recurring nightmare involves fear that I have somehow missed my 2 hours of daily practice.

:airguitar:

-Stephen

Go To Top