Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: rosette
marco
Oud Lover

exclamation.gif posted on 7-28-2012 at 01:15 AM
rosette

Hi everybody! is there anyone here who can give me the courage to remove the rosette from my Syrian oud?? any tips?:shrug:
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 7-28-2012 at 04:55 AM

Excuse me, but why do you want to remove the rosette in the first place, if I may ask?
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 7-28-2012 at 08:25 AM

@Marco, welcome! Need some encouragement? Look at all the Syrian ouds with no rosette. Surely they didn't start out like that, did they? So all those rosettes were removed from baby ouds with no ill effects ;)
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 7-28-2012 at 09:17 AM

Yes ! WHY ?
Anyhow, here are some tips from my experience :
If the rosette is glued with contact glue, use thinner to wet a blade and ease it between the soundboard and the rosette. The thinner would cause the contact glue to dissolve & the rosette to loosen and easily be released/removed.
If the rosette is glued with another kind of adhesives (hide, plastic), you shall sacrifice the rosette, but beware while handling the soundboard !

Good luck !
You're going to need it

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 7-30-2012 at 07:20 AM

There is no need to sacrifice the rose.The rose is usually glued with hide glue which can be softened with warm water. Apply some warm water around the perimeter of the glue joint with a small brush. Next work a thin knife into the glue joint and around the perimeter. I use a thin artist's palette knife you can find at hobby or art supply stores. Get the one that is bent so you don't damage the opposite side you are working on. Inset the knife carefully at one of the edges between the top and bottom and work it around the perimeter adding warm water as you go. At the top, bottom and both side edges there will be braces and the knife will only go in a short distance, so don't push too far, the edge should be about 5-10mm/1/8 - 1/4 inch wide. When the rose drops into the oud, you can tape it down to the inside to keep it from getting more damaged. To re-glue the rose, first sand the glue joint smooth on both the face inside and the rose edge. Apply some hide glue to the face inside and to the edge of the rose. Tie the rose to some sticks around the perimeter with enough slack to position the sticks on top of the face. Add some warm water around the perimeter, then pull the rose up to the face with some small wedges or blocks. See - it's easy!

marco
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-30-2012 at 02:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Giorgioud  
Excuse me, but why do you want to remove the rosette in the first place, if I may ask?
marco
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-30-2012 at 03:00 PM

I just have to remove the pickup inside because it sounds very bad..by the way my intention is to put the rosette back once i take off the pickup, cause rosettes are part of the oud design in my opinion.. I mean don't get me wrong but ouds with no rosettes look too much guitar like...which is ok but still...oud is oud! :D
marco
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-30-2012 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Dr. Oud  
There is no need to sacrifice the rose.The rose is usually glued with hide glue which can be softened with warm water. Apply some warm water around the perimeter of the glue joint with a small brush. Next work a thin knife into the glue joint and around the perimeter. I use a thin artist's palette knife you can find at hobby or art supply stores. Get the one that is bent so you don't damage the opposite side you are working on. Inset the knife carefully at one of the edges between the top and bottom and work it around the perimeter adding warm water as you go. At the top, bottom and both side edges there will be braces and the knife will only go in a short distance, so don't push too far, the edge should be about 5-10mm/1/8 - 1/4 inch wide. When the rose drops into the oud, you can tape it down to the inside to keep it from getting more damaged. To re-glue the rose, first sand the glue joint smooth on both the face inside and the rose edge. Apply some hide glue to the face inside and to the edge of the rose. Tie the rose to some sticks around the perimeter with enough slack to position the sticks on top of the face. Add some warm water around the perimeter, then pull the rose up to the face with some small wedges or blocks. See - it's easy!
marco
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-30-2012 at 03:32 PM

HOORAY I DID IT !! Thank you thank you thank you! I used a solvent for painters(oil cleaner), a syringe, and a knife :) I was scared and stressed but as soon i saw the glue melt the game was done ;)
marco
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-30-2012 at 04:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
@Marco, welcome! Need some encouragement? Look at all the Syrian ouds with no rosette. Surely they didn't start out like that, did they? So all those rosettes were removed from baby ouds with no ill effects ;)
marco
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-30-2012 at 04:15 PM

All right I trust you ! I can make it! I can make it! :)

Go To Top