Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Manol, Baron, and the Metropolitan Museum
phaedon
Oud Lover

Mood: Karcigar

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 02:59 PM
Manol, Baron, and the Metropolitan Museum

Greetings all,

I wanted to share a couple of links to those of you interested in historical construction.

One is an article by Cem Behar which I have translated from Turkish to English, about Manol and Baron:

http://lyrafiddle.com/articles/manol-of-the-ud-baron-of-the-kemence...

The other is a writeup, with photographs, of five gorgeous examples of the klasik kemençe (politiki lyra) in the Met's instrument collection:

http://lyrafiddle.com/antiques/metropolitan-museum/

Looking forward to hearing feedback!

best,
Phaedon
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 03:19 PM

The article states that the sound board material Manol chose for his ouds were spruce, fir or plumwood. I have never heard of plumwood being used for any oud (or lute) soundboards and doubt if it would be suitable for a number of reasons. Is this an error in translation from the original Turkish?
phaedon
Oud Lover

Mood: Karcigar

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 03:26 PM

Hi jdowning,

Thanks for pointing this out. It is bizarre to me, too, and it is very possible I made a mistake in translation; otherwise, perhaps the author made a mistake in listing the woods. The original reads:

"Udun göğsünü Manol hep lâdin, köknar ya da erik ağacından yaparmış."

I took "erik ağacı" to mean "plum tree". If this isn't right, please let me know and I will fix it.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 03:41 PM

I have no knowledge of Turkish so cannot advise on the translation but if the author listed plumwood as a sound board material for ouds it is most likely to be an error. Perhaps he meant cedar or larch or some other softwood species that were used for soundboards?
reminore
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-3-2012 at 04:02 PM

phaedon, congratulations on the really good looking site! its very weird, i found it by chance earlier today...and made a note to go back and read it thoroughly later...this evening our friend tasos sent me an email with a photograph of the ottoman inscription in your aziz kemence - now this post - serendipity!

erik agaci is indeed plumwood - and i know they work with it in trabzon on pontic lyras...

the decoration on the early kemence is amazing and reminiscent of the decorating technique used on makriyannis's tamboura. i want to get back and read through the material now!

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 03:15 AM

Even on the kemençe, the soundboard - according to the text - is made from Cedar of Lebanon, or some kind of cypress wood as well as pinewood for inferior instruments - not plumwood which perhaps might be used for the carved bodies of some instruments such as in trabzon on pontic lyras?
Plum wood being a strong, close grained, dense and stable fruitwood is a good wood for making tuning pegs though.
reminore
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-4-2012 at 06:19 AM

i should have been more clear - i agree with jdowning, dense fruitwoods aren't appropriate for any soundboard i'm sure...but are for the carved bowl.

Go To Top