Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Where can I get these Rishi please? (photos)
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 05:31 AM
Where can I get these Rishi please? (photos)

:wavey: Hello everyone.
Please could you take a look at these rishi and let me know where I could get more if you know. They are amongst my favourites. Someone in London gave them to me, he said someone gave them to him in Cairo. They are thick but light and very flexible, made of rubber-like plastic and produce a lovely mellow warm tone. They have the name 'LEONIDA' embossed on the side. This would suggest they may be made by Savarez as they produce an oud set of strings with the same name. I will try and contact them to verify. I have asked Brian (oudstrings.com) to ask Savarez also. Any info helpful. My thanks.

007.JPG - 36kB 003.JPG - 36kB 004.JPG - 32kB

Best Wishes, Charlie
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 8-10-2012 at 11:33 AM

Charlie,
I have the Leonida risha you're talking about and they are, as you said, on sale in Cairo. However, Pyramid makes the same sort of risha which are virtually identical, which I have as well. The only difference is the name which appears across it! You ought to order Pyramid soft risha (the plastic ones, not celluloid or tortoiseshell) and it'll be exactly the same......
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-11-2012 at 09:25 AM

Giorgi, Thank you. I had no idea Pyramid made this type. I only have celluloid from Pyramid. Do you know where I can order the Pyramid soft plastic rishi?. I know a couple of places to get their celluloid ones but not the soft plastic ones.

Best Wishes, Charlie
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 05:02 AM

Does 'anyone' know where from I can order the soft plastic risha by Pyramid as described by Giorgioud above?, or the ones pictured?. Thank you.

Best Wishes, Charlie
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 03:28 AM

Charlie,
contact Brian Prunka at oudstrings.com and he will be able to give you a lead. The website appears to be selling celluloid Pyramid rishas, but no plastic ones. Maybe he can get them for you or tell you where to get them from. I got mine from the guy who sold me an oud, so I didn't have to go through a conventional outlet........
Make sure to specify that you don't want a hard risha but a medium-to-hard one (this is the model I am talking about and I am sure it's the one you want. I said "soft" in my previous post because now I am using almost exclusively horn or celluloid hard rishas and that Pyramid/Leonidas model, when I play with it, feels now like a soft risha to me....but of course it's not....medium-to-hard is the right definition I think.....but I stand to be corrected on this ). I thought they made them only in white, but by your pictures I gather they make them in other colours too.....
For someone not used to hard horn rishas the Pyramid/Leonidas of that precise thickness is quite a versatile little implement.....it mantains the attack of a good hit, but one can also afford to go for fast runs with it......
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 08:41 AM

Ok Georgi I'll contact Brian and see if he can get the Rishi you mention. My thanks.

Best Wishes, Charlie

Go To Top