Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to remove permanent marker colour?
em.20
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 12:54 PM
How to remove permanent marker colour?

Hello,

I bought a new Baglama in Turkey. The luthier marked the positions for the frets probably with a permanent marker, like one can see on the photo.

I want to remove these because it doesn't really look aesthetic. How can I do without damaging the coating(shellac?)?

Unbenannt.jpg - 273kB
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 12:41 PM

There are products based on "orange oil" (no idea if this has any real relation to oranges, but it smells like oranges). One in the US is called "Goo gone" or something similar. They dissolve sticker adhesives and marker ink quite well yet generally don't affect finishes. As they say, test on a small area first. Of course the first question is whether the marks aren't UNDER the finish, in which case you would have to completely strip it, and even if you get down to bare wood if the ink penetrated the neck you might have to bleach it out!
em.20
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 10:52 AM

Yes, I also thought about whether the marks are under the finish or not. I will have a closer look at that. If they are under the finish of course I won't strip the finish as this will be too much time consuming and complex.

Can't think how a luthier can disfigure his work with such ugly marks.

Go To Top