Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My experiences with Maurice Shehata
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 07:07 AM
My experiences with Maurice Shehata

I'll just say that the Shehata I have is quite meticulously made, especially relative to most Egyptian instruments. The generous layer of glossy varnish on the bowl is a specific aesthetic choice, but I doubt it affects the timbre much. The cedar soundboard is lightly (shellac'ed?) and sounds OK. The thin and narrow neck seems to contain a metal beam to prevent warping. It's unfortunate if Shehata's customer service practices have taken such a direction as you describe.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 08:13 AM

I'm a bit surprised by this, as I know that Mike knows Shehata well and I know many people who have been very pleased with the quality of instruments they received from Maurice. I've never liked the heavy varnish he uses, but I understand that he will reduce it if requested.

His ouds are not cheap and a certain level of professionalism should be expected; I am surprised that the oud was not fully insured against damage, this should be standard practice for shipping ouds, especially more expensive ones. I've never heard of a similar complaint against Shehata, so I too hope that this is ultimately resolved satisfactorily and that it doesn't reflect a decline in his standards.

Was this shipped to the U.S. or Oman? Can you tell us who the carrier was? Honestly, a case like this should be covered by the insurance (assuming that it was packed properly to begin with) and the oud should have been replaced or repaired beyond detection.

In cases like this, I have found it is usually better to arrange to have the instrument repaired locally and be reimbursed by the seller whenever possible, rather than shipping the oud back and forth.

I think that you should talk to Mike about this, perhaps he can help resolve the problem--I understand the desire to warn others of a potential problem, but I don't think the opportunities for a peaceful solution have been exhausted.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 08:29 AM

I ordered my first Shehata about 7 years ago. Not only was I impressed with the workmanship and the quality of the instrument I received, but also I was really amazed by Maurice’s class, integrity, and business ethics. We became friends since then.

At a certain point, I bought one of his instrument from a friend of mine who is a member of this forum and Maurice offered to REPLACE it because something happened to it in transit !!!!

Every time I visit Cairo, I have to stop by his shop to either get him to fix an instrument for me or to check his latest work, and to say "Hello" to a good friend!!!!

His passion for his work is amazing, his ideas are brilliant and he knows how to build world class instruments.

To date, I have two Shehata ouds and another one refurbished by Shehata. No need to say more!

How many of us can say the same about Maurice?
How many times did he open his shop especially for those guests visiting Cairo?
How many of us are friends of that legendary luthiere?

I would ask whoever instigates these kinds of claims to please put his/her prejudice aside before jumping the gun.

It is most unfortunate to see these kinds of posts by some. However, it is only a handful minority of a decent forum with decent members.

Michael_al_faaris
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 11:32 AM

Mike helped me get my first serious oud from Maurice about six years ago and I am still happy with it. I purchased it with a case. It arrived in perfect condition, in no small part due to the fact that the case was so sturdy; unintentional damage in transit was very unlikely. I do not recall whether I paid for insurance during shipping. It was a very good value compared to any alternatives that I had.

Any luthier would be upset to learn that his product arrived damaged. No one makes musical instruments as a path to quick wealth, and no one wants to have a disappointed customer. I can imagine problems with a disgruntled workshop employee or shipping worker, and they are still facing major challenges in Egypt that might be making things more difficult than they were a few years ago.

I appreciate the durability of the finish on my Shehata (relative to more fragile instruments), since I do not have a second oud for emergencies or for woodshedding and have put at least 2000 hours on it over the past six years. There are tradeoffs in design decisions, so tastes will indeed vary between musicians in terms of what they want in their instruments.

When I trusted Mike to help me with my purchase, I knew at that time that his relationship to Maurice gave him a stake in helping me in the event of any misunderstanding. Some recommendations are more reassuring than others.

I was hoping to get a qanun from Nabil Kassis in Aleppo, starting on the basis of recommendations and testimonials from musicians with whom I was not personally acquainted. Knowing only that his instruments were beautiful and that their description exactly fit my requirements, I was just beginning to think about how I would confirm the references when the tragedy in Syria began. Now, without ever having met the man, I am worried sick about his welfare and the welfare of all the innocent people in Syria.

The point is, most of the trouble in this world is not caused by people who play music or who make musical instruments. They do, however, occasionally have their little conflicts and arguments amongst themselves. Having studied music for fifty years, I am used to the fact that my teachers disagree strongly about various questions. I would rather not take sides in such debates, because I am fond of all the parties involved.

Thank God we still have some choices we are free to make. If I were personally acquainted with Najib Shaheen, I'm sure that I would benefit greatly from listening to his advice, but I do not regret my purchase of an oud from Maurice Shehata. The report of this incident only leads me to worry about how things are going for Maurice and his business, given that musicians and craftsmen do not have a lot of power or security during contentious times. I suppose the satisfaction of his customers going forward would answer this question about his reputation.

Pray for peace, and let us all do what we can resolve disputes
rex2009
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud Zone

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 10:30 AM

Hi BintEloud
I have bought my Shahata Oud in 2009. I must admit that I am still impressed with the quality of the oud and its sound. I have dealt with M Shahata personally and picked my oud from his shop. I found him very pleasant and honest. In fact and by mistake, I have paid 100 egyptians pound extra for my oud. Mr Shahata kept ringing me for 2 days and insisted to come back and collect the money which I did. I am sorry to hear about your experience. On another note be aware of some rivalry between oud makers or oud repairers which unfortunately sometimes take issues out of proportion for personal gain. Having said so, I don't know Mr Shaheen and never dealt with him personally. Once again, I am very sorry to hear about your experience. I suppose you could post some pictures of the oud following its repair by M Shahata for people to judge.
Regards
Tarig
naddad
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 02:38 PM

I wasn't very happy with my 2009 Shehata purchase either...
I've had buzzing problems with the oud since I bought it, kind of fixed it but not entirely.
Then a week ago the bridge just entirely snapped off (see my other thread) while the oud was at rest.
Glued it back, but now for some reason the soundboard's wood between the bridge and the sound hole has warped toward the inside and the fretboard is no longer straight... I pretty much think the instrument is hard to salvage now.
Definitely not buying or recommending a Shehata again.
ultragroove
Oud Maniac

Mood: Athar Kurd

[*] posted on 8-21-2012 at 09:00 AM

maybe the thread is missing the initial post. what was the experience?

Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-21-2012 at 09:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ultragroove  

For some reason BintElOud seems to have deleted his post.
Strange ?:shrug:

Robert
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 8-21-2012 at 09:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Microber  
Quote: Originally posted by ultragroove  

For some reason BintElOud seems to have deleted his post.
Strange ?:shrug:

Robert

Robert, "bint" is a girl . . .

The story is that she bought an oud, it arrived damaged. She shipped it back at her own expense and Shehata allegedly did a poor repair on it and shipped it back to her. I know her and she has no reason to have a grudge against Shehata and no reason to lie; I also know that she is not playing the instrument in question and is playing a Sukar. If this has been resolved perhaps the whole thread should be deleted.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Microber
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-21-2012 at 12:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  

Robert, "bint" is a girl . . .

Oops, yes I know.