Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Conflict in Syria
ahmed_eissa
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud-y

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 08:24 PM
Conflict in Syria

The other night I was at work roughly around 8pm, and Fox News aired this clip:

I later reflected upon this devastating footage and was completely heartbroken at what I had seen.

A little later, my thoughts had shifted to the documentary done about Munir Bashir, and how US bomber planes had destroyed countless libraries and museums, some of which were the only places which held his works. It's sad that that music and culture will be forever lost now.

This reminded me of Syria as I thought about how their country was being destroyed. A few recent posts on this website have inquired about Sukar ouds, to which a few others have responded that he is probably not taking orders now due to the current conflict. After viewing footage like this, I cannot fathom how any body could continue to craft such fragile instruments while surrounded in an environment such as the aforementioned.

Aside from the tragic, mass loss of human life and destruction of property..there are many things in Syria that will be destroyed and lost to us forever.

It is horrible to think about all of the cultural aspects- such as music shops, local luthiers' workshops, etc.- that define Syria which may not return to the world when this horrible war ends.

My heart goes out to the people of Syria
-Ahmed
Aymara
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-18-2012 at 11:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ahmed_eissa  
It's sad that that music and culture will be forever lost now.

That madness happens over and over again. It started with the Inquisition, where catholic church destroyed an overwhelming amount of knowledge in the form of medical, scientific and cultural literature. Then in the recent past it happened with the library of Bagdad during the Golf War in Iraq and now this.

Horrible!

Quote:

A few recent posts on this website have inquired about Sukar ouds, ...

I remember reports about Samir Azar ... I once held one of his ouds in my hands ... his workshop was completely destroyed, if I remember that right. I hope he and his family will survive this madness!

Quote:

My heart goes out to the people of Syria

I think we all feel the same and wish this war will find an end as fast as possible.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 06:47 AM

Chris, to say that it started with the Inquisition is absurd. It's been a pattern that every culture deliberately devastates the heritage of competing cultures. Look at China, where each dynasty has tried to wipe out all traces of the previous one, especially books/manuscripts. The novelty of the situation is that it's not even deliberately targeting culture, that's just "collateral damage" as they call it. As to Syria, it's beyond anything we've seen in a while. I can't believe how the whole world is doing nothing.
reminore
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 07:18 AM

one could push the date earlier to the burning of the library at alexandria - (the sum total of the ancient world's learning) first by christian mobs in the 4th c. and later by order of the khalif 'umr a few hundred years later.

Hatem_Afandi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Learning

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 07:58 AM

The recent events in Syria are truly heart breaking!
I visited that beautiful country in 1997, have been to Dier El Zour where I met the kindest people in the world. It was very difficult to imagine that these peaceful places would turn to war zones with all the devastation we see every day.
I keep checking on our friend, Samir. His family and he are safe. I promised him that I will keep playing his wonderful oud until the conflict is over. We also agreed that I will visit him once the chaos is over.
I am looking forward to that although it is not happening soon enough.
I hope that all of us keep Samir and Syria in our thoughts and prayers.

Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 08:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
Chris, to say that it started with the Inquisition is absurd.

I ment the distruction of arabic knowledge ... but yes, I forgot Alexandria.

Quote:

I can't believe how the whole world is doing nothing.

Fear for a potential World War III? Without the position of Russia and China, the Western World might have already reacted in a similar way as in the case Gadafi.

Greetings from Germany

Chris
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

Mood: g'oud

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 09:37 AM

In my opinion what is happening in Syria is the next in a long chain of "false-flag" events: Iraq, Afghanistan, Iraq again, Libya, Egypt, now Syria... (who's next?)

I do think that the FOX clip should be taken down as it seems to me to be a propaganda clip.

If we zoom out and look at the big picture it is easier to "see" what is happening. . . obviously there is a massive agenda unfolding - something much more sinister than another rogue leader like Kadafi, Hussein, Mubarak, or Assad. . . . as terrible as these guys may or may not be, they are being 'set up' to fall.

As always it is not until long after the "deed" has been done, that we finally (if ever) get to find out what REALLY happened and who really was behind it.

But beware --- be suspicious whenever you see someone or some group being immediately blamed and accused by major American media, this is usually a dead giveaway.

David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Edward Powell  
I do think that the FOX clip should be taken down as it seems to me to be a propaganda clip.

You said it!

There is a huge contrast with the tone employed by the media in France.
ahmed_eissa
Oud Maniac

Mood: Oud-y

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 04:13 PM

I am not exactly what you would call a supporter of FOX news network. The commentary from the host and from the war reporter Steve Harrigan have absolutely nothing to do with my original post. The clip I posted contains footage of the senseless destruction in Syria occurring right now.

Again, the point of this post was to:

a) express my deepest sympathies to the people of Syria
b) observe and discuss the unforuntate destruction of Syrian culture that will be forever lost (i.e., oud workshops, ouds that are 100+ years old, music scores being preserved in libraries and museums, etc.)

That being said, I do not believe that the actual FOOTAGE is a tool used to further a propagandist agenda when looked at in the context of how I have explained.

If, after reading this post, you still wish it to be removed, please say so.
Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-19-2012 at 06:33 PM

I find absolutely nothing in your post offensive - and I am absolutely certain that you do not support the "agenda" which is being carried out. I totally agree with the "point" of your post.

However I think that the FOX clip should be taken down because it is not unbias reporting. It assumes guilt without proof. This appears to be the same old dirty trick again and again and again... I do not support Assad, but I need proof before assuming he is guilty of these particular deeds. "Innocent before proven guilty" this is what democracy and a free world is based on, so let's not support and pay attention to those who defy this.

Thanks.

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 12:00 AM

And let's not forget the Shah, how he was demonized.
David.B
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-20-2012 at 08:48 AM

I am not exactly what you would call a supporter of FOX news network. The commentary from the host and from the war reporter Steve Harrigan have absolutely nothing to do with my original post. The clip I posted contains footage of the senseless destruction in Syria occurring right now.

Of course, we made a small digression about the footage itself, but it is indicative of what's going on.

We are all affected by the civil war in Syria, and affect is a fertile ground for propaganda. The US government manipulates us, war is its purpose, and during war there are no good guys and bad guys, there are dead people.

If, after reading this post, you still wish it to be removed, please say so.

No, to be honest I made ​​the same speech to someone there is little. I'm affected in a cultural way. I feel a little guilty putting culture before people, but my cynicism may be a defense for my psyche.
ExtreamTarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: ...Lessa Faker...

[*] posted on 8-21-2012 at 12:48 PM

To all friends who can read this... please don't be fooled by the media when it says that we have "civil war" in Syria! What we have is a war waged on the people by a rouge regime.

We have an honorable fight for freedom after 50 years of oppression and slow death of a whole society, culture and civilization.

Naturally there are many manipulated minds that are being used by the Dictator... when they start shooting on women and slaughtering children they must be stopped... this is not a civil war!!
dkhoury35
Oud Junkie

Mood: IM IN THE M-OUD

[*] posted on 8-21-2012 at 05:09 PM

Why are we all missing the greater picture ?
Why can't people see that what has been happening is something way over all our heads ?
Why is it that out side influences are allowed to play with the minds of people to bring uprising and chaos in the middle east ?
We are a great civilisation if we can not stand together now and tell the outside world to stop meddling in our affairs now in 50-200 years from now our children and there children will no longer have our traditions as middle eastern.
we all need to stand together and in one voice tell the rest of the world to but out and let us be !!!!!!!!
look what has been done with Iraq look at iran look at lebanon lets not forget what the western world did with Palestine!!!!!!

and please to all who might get offended please don't because we let all these larger nations come in and use and play us all like puppets !!!!!!!!!!!!
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-21-2012 at 06:33 PM

No offense at all, but wasn't it fortunate NATO helped a little in Lybia? Things are too multi-faceted for our little brains.
Aymara
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-22-2012 at 12:12 AM

Things are too multi-faceted for our little brains.

Good point. I highly recommend to watch the film Project Home to learn, what our real problem is.

If I watch this film, I don't fear, that tradition might get lost, but that mankind will no longer exist in 200 years.

This is just an example, that it's sometimes not easy to "see the big picture".

Greetings from Germany

Chris
David.B
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-22-2012 at 06:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ExtreamTarab  
To all friends who can read this... please don't be fooled by the media when it says that we have "civil war" in Syria! What we have is a war waged on the people by a rouge regime.

Sorry, I didn't feel OK with "civil war" either, this is a shortcut of my poor English ...

Like Tony wrote it:

Things are too multi-faceted for our little brains.
michoud
Oud Junkie

Mood: in the mooud again..

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 09:00 PM

Hi all
I was living in Syria about 2 years.
The first year I lived in Homs, 2 minutes walking to Samir Azar´s workshop and home. The second year I was living between Damascus and Aleppo.
The last 5 months I lived there, were the first 5 months of the "revolution"
Syria is an amazing country with the best people I ever meet, and an incredible heritage.
Now everything is being destroyed, first of all human beings and second the culture.
Yes, Samir workshop is destroyed, and I can imagine that Ibrahim Sukar´s office too. It is in the Salahedin area. I don´t know about his new workshop (well not really new, about 2 years and half old) which is located in a village not far from Aleppo, now I don´t remember its name.
Another great oud player, and also a great oud maker (I´ll post in the future some photos of his ouds), one of my best friends there, and my last teacher Ayman Al Jesry, he doesn´t know if his workshop is still there, because it is in an area with heavy combats.
From 3 weeks ago I have no contact with Ustaz Qadri Dalal, who was my teacher for a while, and we have a very good relation, the area in Aleppo where he lives is in war zone now.

What I can say is that I´m sure there is an foreign agenda on Syria as there is in the other arab countries. No doubt

I don´t believe the syrian media, but also I don´t believe Al Jazeera or Al Arabiya, which are media companies from a very "democratic countries which respect all human rights"...as all of us know, (sorry about the irony;) ) and what to say about our western media... also we know about our media...
When I was living there, I saw with my own eyes some big lies of those channels from the west and the Golf, but what can I say about the syrian media... no words.
I have many friends there in Syria, due to my work I know well many cities there, and what I can tell you is that some of them support the regime (and they are not shabeha or something like this) others support the revolution, but MOST OF THEM HATE BOTH SIDES, they just want back to the normal life, nothing else, just live in peace.
They tell me what kind of regime they have and also that the rebels (or at least a lot of them) are not like our media says, no one side is good, they tell me.
They tell me news from there, that we never hear in the media, terrible crimes, but no one international media company wants to talk about, why?
For me there is only one thing, they are destroying Syria they are killing people, and I really don´t care who began, I just care that no one of both sides will want to finish this war with dialogue, Syria is a very testy cake, I just hope Syria will be "lucky" to will not have years and years of war like Lebanon, Iraq or Afghanistan.
I´m not too much in politics, and this forum is about one of the most beautiful and pure things we have in this life which is music and it is better to don´t contaminate it with politics.
I´m sorry if I write to much about this subject, but this situation in Syria touch me very deep

dkhoury35
Oud Junkie

Mood: IM IN THE M-OUD

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 10:14 PM

well said michoud great point talking politics gets us no where !!!!!!!!!! god bless the whole middle east and keep it safe
michoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-23-2012 at 10:55 PM

thanks dkhouri35
Quote: Originally posted by dkhoury35  
Why are we all missing the greater picture ?
Why can't people see that what has been happening is something way over all our heads ?
Why is it that out side influences are allowed to play with the minds of people to bring uprising and chaos in the middle east ?
We are a great civilisation if we can not stand together now and tell the outside world to stop meddling in our affairs now in 50-200 years from now our children and there children will no longer have our traditions as middle eastern.
we all need to stand together and in one voice tell the rest of the world to but out and let us be !!!!!!!!
look what has been done with Iraq look at iran look at lebanon lets not forget what the western world did with Palestine!!!!!!

and please to all who might get offended please don't because we let all these larger nations come in and use and play us all like puppets !!!!!!!!!!!!

very interesting point dkhouri35, really

reminore
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 03:40 AM

And let's not forget the Shah, how he was demonized.

mohammed reza pahlavi was weak autocrat, surrounded by corrupt toadies, and his father reza shah a thug - and their combined reigns resulted in the islamic revolution of 1979...

i think you might be spending too much time with iranian expat neighbors out there in california...
David.B
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 04:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by michoud  
Hi all
I was living in Syria about 2 years.
The first year I lived in Homs, 2 minutes walking to Samir Azar´s workshop and home. The second year I was living between Damascus and Aleppo.
The last 5 months I lived there, were the first 5 months of the "revolution"
Syria is an amazing country with the best people I ever meet, and an incredible heritage.
Now everything is being destroyed, first of all human beings and second the culture.
Yes, Samir workshop is destroyed, and I can imagine that Ibrahim Sukar´s office too. It is in the Salahedin area. I don´t know about his new workshop (well not really new, about 2 years and half old) which is located in a village not far from Aleppo, now I don´t remember its name.
Another great oud player, and also a great oud maker (I´ll post in the future some photos of his ouds), one of my best friends there, and my last teacher Ayman Al Jesry, he doesn´t know if his workshop is still there, because it is in an area with heavy combats.
From 3 weeks ago I have no contact with Ustaz Qadri Dalal, who was my teacher for a while, and we have a very good relation, the area in Aleppo where he lives is in war zone now.

What I can say is that I´m sure there is an foreign agenda on Syria as there is in the other arab countries. No doubt

I don´t believe the syrian media, but also I don´t believe Al Jazeera or Al Arabiya, which are media companies from a very "democratic countries which respect all human rights"...as all of us know, (sorry about the irony;) ) and what to say about our western media... also we know about our media...
When I was living there, I saw with my own eyes some big lies of those channels from the west and the Golf, but what can I say about the syrian media... no words.
I have many friends there in Syria, due to my work I know well many cities there, and what I can tell you is that some of them support the regime (and they are not shabeha or something like this) others support the revolution, but MOST OF THEM HATE BOTH SIDES, they just want back to the normal life, nothing else, just live in peace.
They tell me what kind of regime they have and also that the rebels (or at least a lot of them) are not like our media says, no one side is good, they tell me.
They tell me news from there, that we never hear in the media, terrible crimes, but no one international media company wants to talk about, why?
For me there is only one thing, they are destroying Syria they are killing people, and I really don´t care who began, I just care that no one of both sides will want to finish this war with dialogue, Syria is a very testy cake, I just hope Syria will be "lucky" to will not have years and years of war like Lebanon, Iraq or Afghanistan.
I´m not too much in politics, and this forum is about one of the most beautiful and pure things we have in this life which is music and it is better to don´t contaminate it with politics.
I´m sorry if I write to much about this subject, but this situation in Syria touch me very deep

More interesting than the point of view of the media, thanks.
michoud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-24-2012 at 09:04 AM

thanks David
I think whenever there is a conflict, both sides, finally became radical in the way of acting, with no sense speeches and flagrant lies (in a different situation we saw this here in Spain with the democratic transition when Franco died and about the Basque Country and the terrorism)
The only journalist I read who writes about Syria´s conflict close to what I saw there, and what my friends tell me daily, is Robert Fisk´s articles.

Edward Powell
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-25-2012 at 11:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWtlekFGU7k&feature=g-all-u

David.B
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-26-2012 at 12:48 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWtlekFGU7k&feature=g-all-u

Always the same trick, and the same goal ...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top