Bayati --- 3 (23.08%)

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Maqam of the Week Poll
bahleh13
Oud Maniac

Mood: Majnoun el Oud

light.gif posted on 10-26-2004 at 01:05 PM
Maqam of the Week Poll

Hey guys, since no one else voted in favor of Saba, might as well give the maqams and see what people would vote for (heik el sha3b baddou). Anyways, this poll will hold till 1st of November (unless extending for a couple of days is required, since not all are available in forum in short time), and then a new thread starts off...
The American president ain't better than this.. Vote now!!

Yours truly,
Basel :D

P.S. My vote goes for Saba
oudplayer
Oud Junkie

Mood: ouds up

[*] posted on 10-26-2004 at 01:19 PM

hey it ownt work so icant vote on it but i pick saba as well i also like this one very much
thx
sammy
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 10-26-2004 at 08:23 PM
My Vote?

Well... I'm no good at anything with microtones so I'd rather do something like ajam. BUT... it would probably be a good motivation for me to work on somthing more exotic so if you all feel that it should be saba then I'll go along... just give me about 2 weeks!

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
bahleh13
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 03:37 AM
Maqam of the Month

Seemingly, Saba isnt THAT popular in the forum, but counting sammy's vote, it places us in a tie. I dunno what Lee's vote was, but it may be the one that breaks the tie... The new thread starts on Monday (or sunday evening), so I hope we get a clear idea soon about what we'll play. Lee I await ur clarification on the post.
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 09:27 AM
Nice Poll

Hello people,

Nice poll, but what about the other maqams like Nahawand, Rast, Iraq, Husaini, and "Nakreez", ok that latter one is not very popular, buts its the one used in Warda's famous song "garrab nar el 3'era".

Also, I know the hijaz, Bayat, Saba, Ajam, but what is Huzam. This is honestly the first time i even hear that word.

I get the feeling that Saba is not really used in many songs. Nice for taqaseem, but its very sad I think. The most used maqam is definitely Bayat. It's the pop maqam for the older generations (dal3oona, sari sar el lail, wen 3aramallah, Meejana).

For a while during the ninties and until now, the prominent maqam for the pop songs, especially the 30+ ones made by El Sharnoobi, all of whom ended up on the top ten charts were all mostly Kurd, or had a significant kurd parts in it.

As for my favourite maqam!!!

Perhaps Nahawand. For some reason its hard for me to listen to taqaseem on the two major maqams that start at the Do (C), the RAst and the Ajam. I can't even listen to songs that are based on these two maqams such as zoorooni and lessa faker. It's too happy for me. I guess its a matter of personal preference.

Chris

:applause:
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 10:59 AM

Huzam is E1/2b F G Ab B C D(D#) E1/2b

I agree it doesn't seem like too many songs are in Saba, although a lot of songs modulate to it.
Ibn il Balad by Wahab is in Saba.
It seems like there are a number of folk tunes in saba . . .
bahleh13
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-7-2004 at 06:57 AM
Finally a result!!

Who said the American Presidential Elections were tougher than this?!

Finally we have a winner: SABA. Prepare ur Ouds, ears and apetite for our new Maqam of the Month thread, starting from tomorrow.

Lee I am sure u will catch on fine just as u did before, i have no doubt in ur talent nor potential :)

Hey Chris, a little clarification about the choice of maqams: Nahawand and Rast were already chosen before (not by vote, but as a starters since they are popular, surprisingly a wee bit more than Bayati).
As for Iraq, it is actually a variant of Sikah (starts of from B half-flat), but the most popular Sikah variant is actually Huzam (Brian did his homework :D ), which answers ur question.
And since I dont like any side to be a loser here, I will post for u this audio file, and I hope u enjoy it :)
The MOTM doesnt have to be only taksims, but discussions as well about the maqam, what maqams to modulate to and from which maqams u can modulate to it, etc... So get well prepared for Saba :airguitar: Peace y'all!

Basel :D

P.S. Zurouni is actually Ajam variant 3ashiran (3ushayran also) and it is played on Bb (flat). Just a minor detail :)
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-7-2004 at 07:42 PM

Hey Chris,

You make some interesting points about Saba. It is actually one of my favorite maqams too. There is something about a sweet taqsim that modulates to Saba that adds tons of tarab. At this point in the taqsim is where you hear the listeners involuntarily say an "Allah" or "Ya Salaam". You're right that it is kind of a sad maqam, but some composers have used this maqam in fun, upbeat songs. For example, Wahab's bellydance piece Saba Samer and Farido in Zeina. I will try to post these two songs in the future.

Hey Basel, Chris said he didn't like the song Lessa Faker and you dedicated it to him?! Are you trying to scare him away from the forums or what? :shrug: Just kidding buddy. ;)

Take care,
Mike

Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-7-2004 at 08:54 PM
Thanks Mike,

My mentor in oud Mike,

Thanks alot bro for the reply and comments. I think that Saba is definitely a great maqam. Like many others who start playing oud, there is a moment when u frist learn this maqam. It's hard to describe. A student at that moment is like, whoa I recognize this tune/maqam, I have heard it many times before. Mostly in songs but also as a background for a sad movie or especially in Syrian series for those of us who lived back home.

It is very distinguishable. So automatically for some people, as with me, it becomes their favourite maqam. But gradually you notice that it is not used as much as the other maqams (Hijaz, Bayat.)

As for Mr. Baheleh. Thanks for the dedication.

I am not used to song dedication made by other male singers before. Nevertheless, u made me blush. Thanks anyway.

Chris :)
sydney
Oud Junkie

Mood: Bastanikar

[*] posted on 11-7-2004 at 09:35 PM
At least for MIKE

Hey fine people

:wavey:

Shall we settle for "Saba" maqam this month?

At least for Mike's sake since it is one of his favorite maqams. ;)

It will also be usefull for new oud players.

What you think?

Regards,

Emad
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 06:22 AM
Cool

Hi Imad,

It's cool with me.

Chris
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 03:34 PM

Hey Chris,

Here's a song on saba by Farid el-Atrache and also an instrumental on saba.
Mesh Momken Ahebbak
Saba Samer

Take care,
Mike

Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 06:46 AM

Thanks Mike!

I will be checking these files shortly, after I leave work :D I am sure they are very nice. It will give me more insight into this maqam and its music and songs.

I appreciate it very much.

Chris :airguitar:
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 10:54 AM

This is a better version of Saba Samer. Also, it was brought to my attention that this was not a composition by Abdel Wahab. If anybody knows for sure who composed it, let us know.

Mike

Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 03:09 PM
Awesome Music

Very beautiful musical pieces Mike. I am very thankful for posting them here.

I have never heard the Farid song before even though its a great song. My dad and uncil were his greatest fans and they saw him many times in person in the Hamra Street in Beirut where he used spend a lot of his time before he died.

So I heard most of his songs, but not this one though. The other saba musical pieces is very beautiful especially the oud section.

BTW,

I saw an article about Naseer Shamma today online, but I wasn't sure whether u wanted me to copy and paste the link. It's kinda politically charged and opposing to the greet artist, but if u like I can post the link. It is very interesting.

Hilal
Mike
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 04:40 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for emailing me the link first. This article is really bad. We don't need that in the forums. If anybody is interested in reading it, I suggest that they email you for the link. Thanks for your consideration before posting the link Chris. I appreciate that a lot.

Take care,
Mike

Go To Top