Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Fadel? Turunz? Nahat? Dimitris?....
Sam Dib
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-26-2004 at 01:12 PM
Fadel? Turunz? Nahat? Dimitris?....

Hi Mike and everyone!
I have been watching this forum for two years now, awesome information here Mike, very nice work!

I am a oud player living in Montreal, Canada. I have one of the first ouds that Yaroub Mohammad Fadel made. It's all made of maple, except the soundboard of course which is made of spruce and the sound it sounds, how can I say.. :) very very nice

I am currently studying with Mohammad Masmoudi which some of you might know, a piece called Revelation was on the Taksim MP3 page.

I am also very good friend with Ismail Fencioglu, did you all know that he builds awesome ouds too. He studied with master luthier Faruk Turunz http://www.oudmaster.com

I am looking to buy a new oud and wanted your opinion, I am seriously looking for a oud from one of those luthiers:
Bashir oud by Yaroub
http://www.iraqi-oud.com/index/yaroub/info.htm

or a traditionnal oud from:
Faruk Turunz
http://www.oudmaster.com

Mourice Shehata

Husain Sabsaby
http://www.oudsabsaby.com

Dimitris Rapakousios
http://www.dimitrisouds.com/

I am of course aware that all those ouds sound very different from each other, I am looking for a ver warm sounding oud, with good projection, very easy action, good bass response, a oud with a sound that has a lot of depth and soul, maybe a Nahat at 34000$ :) , no seriously, which one do you think guys would be the best choice?

Thanks a lot everyone, I really appreciate the help with this one!
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 10-26-2004 at 01:21 PM

Hi,

First, I have to say it must be great to be in such great company up there. Please pass on to Mr. Fencioglu how much we enjoy his playing. He probably remembers Phaedon Sinis, my friend who plays kanun and visited him recently.

As for the oud, for $2500 US you could probably buy one from Dimitris and one from Shehata. I think Turunz and Fadel are the most expensive makers, but all these guys can make you an amazing oud, whether you want a Turkish, Trad. Arabic, or Iraqi oud. You should take your time and decide what specialty you want.

So you know I've been very happy with my Dimitris oud, which is a Nahat copy, and with most every Shehata oud I've come by. I've never played a Turunz, Sabsaby, or Fadel, but they all have great reputations. Fadel and Turunz are probably easier to get a hold of than Sabsaby, but if you speak Arabic that's probably not a problem.

Anyway, enjoy, and good luck with your new oud, wherever it comes from. :)

Take care,

mav

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 10-27-2004 at 05:47 AM

The problem is that you have to choose from a list with ouds which all have different characteristics.So i think you must first decide what you would like most.Turkish ,arabic or Iraqi?

So about Faruk.Ive played with ouds from him and im planning to get one this summer.Faruks ouds have a classical turkish sound (that means warm sounding,speedy action , sweet glissando, warm bass sound but not as bassy as an Arabic oud) .

There is Dimitris too.He made till now all the types of ouds...and as i know makes only custom ouds.I didnt play one from him but he has a good reputation.

I dont have an idea about the other makers but as we hear here in this forum are all highly recommended.

So if you choose first what style of oud you want to buy then your decision will be easier..

Nikos
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-27-2004 at 06:06 AM

Hi Sam

You can contact me through email for details about Mourice Shehata Oud!

Salam

zulkarnainyusof@gmail.com
Sam Dib
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-27-2004 at 09:33 AM
Naseer Shamma in Montreal!

Thanks a lot Mavrotis for the info, I might buy one from Dimitris and one from Shehata. Althought I would prefer investing all my budget on one reference quality oud with a magical sound, very mellow with deep shallow bass. ( I really like the sound of Simon Shaheen's oud which is a Nahat and Rabih Abou Khalil)

Hi Multi Kulti:
You tempt me with the Faruk, I have explored his scientific approach to tune each brace of the soundboard which I am tryllu confident that it will be better for the sound of the oud.

The only thing that keeps me a bit away from turkish ouds is that all the music I play is more arabic, mostly Egyptian (Abed El Wahab, Oum Koulsoum, Farid...) and some mixture of jazz music, Anouar Brahem, Rabih Abou Khalil, Simon Shaheen... And I find the turkish oud a bit small, to have the shallow bass I admire so much. What kind of music do you play?

Hi Zulkarnain:
I would love to obtain more infos on the ouds of Mr. Shehata, some sound samples if available, do you have some?

I am very happy to see Naseer Shamma perform in a small acoustic theater in Montreal in a couple of days!!!!
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-27-2004 at 05:23 PM

Hi Sam

Sure I will send you some sound sample for the Shehata Oud! Can I have your email add? You can contact me at zulkarnainyusof@gmail.com

Salam
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 03:38 AM

You can get a Bashir from Yaroub for 1500$

Best wishes

Ronny
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 06:31 AM

Hi Ronny

I assumed that $1500 Bashir Oud from Yaroub is not including shipping & hard case right? Additional $250 ??

Regards
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zulkarnain
Hi Ronny

I assumed that $1500 Bashir Oud from Yaroub is not including shipping & hard case right? Additional $250 ??

Regards

That's correct.

Best wishes

Ronny
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 06:50 PM

Sam,

Sorry to confuse the issue even more, but you may wish to add Nazih Ghadban to your list of high-end oud makers.
http://www.oudnazihghadban.com.
He has many traditional designs and also makes a fine Bashir style oud.
Sam Dib
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 10:31 AM

Thanks a lot guys for all the information!

I looked at all these luthiers and I would love to own a Mourice Shehata. I really like the work he does and the sound of his ouds. Since I already have a Bashir oud and I am seeking more of a traditionnal arab sound ala Farid el Attrache, I know Shehata ouds have a sound of their own, but they definetly have that vintage tone of the old Egyptian ouds.

I have never heard a Nazih Ghabdan oud on a sample mp3, but if anyone has a sample, can you please send it to me to this address: bassamdib@hotmail.com

I will give you some feedback soon on Naseer Shamma show that I will be seeing this weekend (the 7th of october)!

Take care everyone!
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 03:23 PM

Hi Sam

Did you receive the sound file yet?

Salam
Sam Dib
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 11:00 AM

Hi everybody,

I assisted to a Naseer Shamma concert yesterday where he played alone with 3 percussionists. IT WAS AWESOME
He played a lot of andalousian music, lot of flamenco, and improvised on maquamat

Naseer masters the oud with such virtuosity, it's scary! He plays phenomenaly fast while retaining such musicality. He doesn't let virtuosity dominate over music.

And after the concert, I had the chance to meet him in person!

BTW, the sound of his Yaroub Mohammad Fadel Bashir oud is amazing. Very clear sounding, yet super musical, extremely dynamic, very precise., reminds me of my oud hehe :), which is a Bashir made by Yaroub too, but the back is maple instead of palissander

Hi Zulkarnain,
Thanks for the sound sample, I really like the sound of the Shehata oud!
But after seeing Naseer, I must admit, I have a tendency to go back to a Yaroub ;)
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 01:46 PM

Sam, you seem to be a lucky one:)
You go to naseer consert, you meet naseer and you HAVE an Yaroub oud!!

Can a man ask for more?:D

Regards
/Walid
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 02:02 PM

Yes you could have more...

for example
go to a Bacanos concert, meet Bacanos and HAVE a MANOL oud...!!

:bounce::bowdown:

Nikos
Sam Dib
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-8-2004 at 02:07 PM

Hi,

Yes I would have to agree with Multi Kulti, having a Manol would be awesome, but I must say, you could even have more ;)

Have a Yaroub and a Manol :D
Then, you really can't ask for more :)
lui_oud
Oud Lover

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 09:01 PM
Naseer shamma's Oud

Hey guys I as just reading the thread. Its pretty nice. I just want to comment on Naseer's Oud the one that was at the concert in montreal. I believe the oud was NOT a Yaroub oud please correct me if I am wrong. It was an older Fawzy Monshed oud. You can tell by the design of the oud. It was a great concert. I must say that I am still in shock. I dont think I even think of touching my oud for another week or so I AM NOT WORTHY hehehehe. I'm sure if Ronny saw a picture of the oud he would agree hat it is not a Yaroub Oud. After seeing that concert I do believe that Naseer is THE best oud player in the world today. I dont think anyone can top his styles music compositions playing everything. RESPECTT to him.:) take care all

Lui
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 11:30 PM

Hi

Below is the image of Naseer giving an Oud playing workshop during his visit in Kuala Lumpur couple of months back using a Bashir Oud made by Yaroub!

Salam
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 11:32 PM

Hi

Below image is during one of his solo performance here in Malaysia also using the same Oud (Bashir Oud by Yaroub)

Salam
Zulkarnain
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-9-2004 at 11:38 PM

Naseer during the press interview at one of the many Arabic restaurant in central Kuala Lumpur.

Salam
Sam Dib
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 07:29 AM

Hi everyone,

When I spoke with Naseer after the concert in Montreal, I asked him many questions about his oud, he said it was a oud made by Yaroub, so it must be true having the answer from the master himself ;)
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 10:16 AM

Naseer started his carrier playing on Fawzys oud, he did that untill the end of the ninetees and then he changed to Yaroub.
I met Fawzy Monshed in basra a few months ago and what I understood is that the relation btw Fawzy and Shamma is in not good, and the hole thing is on a more personnal level.

Regards
/Walid
Sam Dib
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 12:09 PM

Thanks Walkad for the info, interesting, I had the impression Naseer always used Yaroub ouds.

I would like to add to the list of luthiers which I am considering right now for my new oud Mr.Peter Kyvelos

Does anyone know around how much his ouds are sold?

Thanks
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam Dib
Thanks Walkad for the info, interesting, I had the impression Naseer always used Yaroub ouds.
Thanks

Shamma's last Fawzy oud used for concerts and recordings was abandon by Shamma in Tunis at the workshop of Yaroub. I had the oud at my posses and I had it restored.

Best wishes

Ronny
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-11-2004 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zulkarnain
Naseer during the press interview at one of the many Arabic restaurant in central Kuala Lumpur.

Salam

Zul, I'm now looking forward to see the paparazzi photos ;)

Best wishes

Ronny
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top