Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  7
Author: Subject: Faruk Turunz reduced price and arabic ouds
Bodhi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 02:04 PM

My wife says "all good things come to an end":shrug:

:D

I understand what you mean no need to worry.
regards
Bodhi
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 02:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bodhi  
My wife says "all good things come to an end":shrug:

:D

I understand what you mean no need to worry.
regards
Bodhi

She must be having a wonderful sense of humor :D. Respects...

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Bodhi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 02:31 PM

She does. Perhaps one day you will know for yourself, we always have a plan to return to Istanbul. We really enjoyed to sit and drink tea by the University and the book market, a fantastic view of the city, and the men fishing on the bridge, packed like sardines but still making room for one more, and the juice vendors selling Nar juice, for next to nothing they squeeze about 4 pomegranites into a cup.

tesakur
ultragroove
Oud Maniac

Mood: Athar Kurd

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 03:18 PM

Gentlemen! Thank you. This was the one of the most entertaining and dramatic threads here on Mike's Oud Forum. I'm just turned 40 and I'm glad to see that most participants are in good health and there is no permanent harm to most of the members. ;) What an event!

I love you guys! And my ouds and the music...
:bowdown:

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 03:34 PM

Of course I am only too happy to accept in humble gratitude and friendship if you want, all the more so as I have always liked the sound of all the instruments you make anyway. Told ya we always manage to cooperate ;-)
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 03:39 PM

She does. Perhaps one day you will know for yourself, we always have a plan to return to Istanbul. We really enjoyed to sit and drink tea by the University and the book market, a fantastic view of the city, and the men fishing on the bridge, packed like sardines but still making room for one more, and the juice vendors selling Nar juice, for next to nothing they squeeze about 4 pomegranites into a cup.

tesakur

Let's say "inshaallah"...please hasten your plan and we have always a clean and ready room for our guests in ours.

Unfortunately those men are not able to fish any more at the coasts of Bosporus or from Galata Bridge due to one legislation recently issued. But still you can come across with some Nar juice vendors around.

Teşekkürler :)

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 03:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fernandraynaud  
Of course I am only too happy to accept in humble gratitude and friendship, all the more so as I have always liked the sound of all the instruments you make anyway. Told ya we always manage to cooperate ;-)

Thank you my angel-hearted friend. Please forgive this senile old man;-)

farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ultragroove  
Gentlemen! Thank you. This was the one of the most entertaining and dramatic threads here on Mike's Oud Forum. I'm just turned 40 and I'm glad to see that most participants are in good health and there is no permanent harm to most of the members. ;) What an event!

I love you guys! And my ouds and the music...
:bowdown:

Thank you ultragroove for revealing your happiness for the friendly final.
And...congratulations for your new age. 40's were the most fruitful years for me. I wish you happiness, health, prosperity and loooong years full of with music :)

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 03:59 PM

Of course we're all just trying to get by on this journey. And I like hotheads more than indifferent types anyway, much more interesting ;-) I don't think an amoeba could appreciate a good oud.
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 05:03 PM

Of course we're all just trying to get by on this journey. And I like hotheads more than indifferent types anyway, much more interesting ;-) I don't think an amoeba could appreciate a good oud.

I have long been sure that we are alike and similarly interesting ;-) Aren't we.

farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jass  

Jass

Hey jass! Please do consider this thread thoroughly as a game played with "words" and "sentences" or a joke :D

THE WINNER IS............................ F R I E N D S H I P :applause:

Please :)

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-15-2012 at 05:19 PM

I'm afraid so ... I'm lucky that my dear companion, my wife, can accept it. She sat patiently for over an hour and a half at the music store while I tried out different little desktop pads for tapping percussion into a recording, then moved on to (carefully) selecting some humus in the food-court. She only showed irritation when I went to examine the back of the flat-screen display in the courtyard ;-)
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 9-16-2012 at 12:18 AM

Well I have to admit to peeking at this drama once or twice this week and by far the most upsetting bit of news is that you can't fish off Galata bridge anymore - near us there is a sea jetty and it was recently rebuilt with a sign up saying 'no crabbing' which to be honest is a birthright of all kids and parents alike.

Needless to say when I was there the other day the sign seems to have disappeared and tradition has reasserted itself. I think all this talk of ouds was a smoke-screen for the real news :))

Keep calm and musical

Leon
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-16-2012 at 12:46 AM

And we keep exploring ... that's another birthright.
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-16-2012 at 04:09 AM

. She only showed irritation when I went to examine the back of the flat-screen display in the courtyard ;-)

I think I understand the irritation she showed. My wife although tried not to show any concern for it and tried to feign ignorance I am sure she was a bit nervous when I had been to Houdetsi for just a week. She was scared of my over drinking. :D

farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-16-2012 at 05:11 AM

And we keep exploring ... that's another birthright.

I agree with all my heart :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Bodhi
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-16-2012 at 06:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by farukturunz  

Let's say "inshaallah"...please hasten your plan and we have always a clean and ready room for our guests in ours.

Unfortunately those men are not able to fish any more at the coasts of Bosporus or from Galata Bridge due to one legislation recently issued. But still you can come across with some Nar juice vendors around.

We will try to hasten our plan, but financial stability will dictate our movements. Thank you for your kind offer, perhaps when we can afford a weekend to Istanbul we will contact you. I would at least like to make a trip to your workshop to play a few of your instruments.

What a shame they can't fish there now. The bridge must look naked!

I am going to sign out of this post for now and entertain myself in a soap opera closer to home:))

jass
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-16-2012 at 07:30 AM

All fun and games! :bounce:

Jass.
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-16-2012 at 07:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by farukturunz  

We will try to hasten our plan, but financial stability will dictate our movements. Thank you for your kind offer, perhaps when we can afford a weekend to Istanbul we will contact you. I would at least like to make a trip to your workshop to play a few of your instruments.

What a shame they can't fish there now. The bridge must look naked!

I am going to sign out of this post for now and entertain myself in a soap opera closer to home:))

Inshaallah...one day please come to my place. You're right! I also need to sign out of it and go on reading Orhan Pamuk's novel Masumiyet Müzesi (The Museum of Innocence) :))

Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-16-2012 at 11:08 AM

Wow...where to start. I just got done reading this entire thread, which innocently started by our friend Daniele asking about Usta Faruk's $1000 ouds. I will try to keep this short guys, but that may be difficult.

First I would like to say that I am glad to see that in the end, cooler heads prevailed and we are all still friendly. One thing that always amazes me when the drama kicks up hot and heavy on these forums (which happens probably two or three times a year), in the end we seem to finally figure it out and ultimately calmness quickly returns as the norm. A little bit of drama though does keep things interesting I guess. It seemed like at one point during this thread two or three different arguments were going on at once.

Second, I want to remind all members that we should stick to posting with ONE username only. Hiding behind an alter ego to make your point is quite childish, and will never be tolerated on these forums. This is especially the case if this is a strategy used to create tension. Like I said above, some drama seems to happen two or three times a year on its own. There is no need to make it happen hiding behind a fake identity. As of now, we are still investigating, but we are 99% positive this has occurred in this thread unfortunately. On that note, we will take action but probably will not make it public.

Thirdly, to my friend Usta Faruk, just a small piece of advice. I would refrain in the future from trying to defend yourself. Let your work do the talking for you. You will also be better off if you just let others on these forums come to your defense, because they will. I think even you will agree that when you claim, "I AM THE ONLY MAN WHO HAVE EXPLORED ALL THE "SECRETS" OF THE OUD IN THE HISTORY !!!!" that you are setting yourself up for some unnecessary ridicule. I understand you made that statement in the heat of the moment, but I would much rather see you place your energy in creating ouds that are beautiful works of art and understand that you need not get involved in a back and forth. I think everybody on these forums knows the quality of your work, so let your work be your best defense. Here is another of your quotes that I feel show your truer character Usta, and I quote, "Sure Nahhat is Nahhat and Manol is Manol ... I lean in reverence in front of their saintly remembrance!"

Finally, I would like to add my two cents to Daniele's initial question. I think for a thousand bucks an Usta Faruk oud is a steal. As Fernand pointed out early on in this thread, because the oud is only $1000 does not mean that any shortcuts are taken in making the oud. The quality in the crafsmanship is not altered in any way and the oud is still top notch.

All the best everybody,
Mike

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-16-2012 at 01:13 PM

Dear Mike, in solidarity with Usta Faruk and others, allow me to say that if we always reacted ideally, and if perfect order were always respected, this wonderful meeting place could become a catalogue, rows of files in museum cases. Please allow that without chaos, there's no order, and no inspiration. Isn't a collective blog, with errors and emotion, more valuable than even the best filled out forms? I don't think being human is so bad, we're not teenagers eager to throw profanities, and even with the difficulties of language barriers, there's nothing to worry about, in the end we always manage to figure it out.
Respectfully,
Fernand

Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 9-16-2012 at 04:21 PM

After this detente, we still have some hanging questions waiting for some answers. After all , this thread was not Faruk v. Fernand arm-wrestling. So please relate to the really interesting points concerning Arabian oud v. Turkish oud.

Thank you all for putting an end to this not-at-all-amusing farce.

Mabrouk

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-16-2012 at 06:23 PM

... but the thread started on Mr Turunz's reduced price ouds. Should we perhaps start a separate one specifically on the topic of what we consider Arabic vs. Turkish timbre and character? But many useful "characteristics" were mentioned here, and it would be a shame to leave them out by starting over. I don't know.

Mr Turunz's article you found mentions that Arabian ouds are bigger, longer scale, and require a 2+ mm soundboard. That a Turkish sized oud (585 mm scale) with a thinner soundboard cannot, regardless of the gauge strings used, be tuned a whole tone down without suffering from flappy strings and uneven tone, unless the instrument is carefully built so as to better distribute the resonances. The text is not commenting on what, besides tuning, made a traditional Arabian timbre different from a Turkish one.

Past tense "made", because tastes are changing, and, for instance, Edward's notion of what is most Turkish is not in line with most peoples' idea now. That and the fact that what were once very literal regional preferences, are now blending in optimized concert instruments, or becoming more a question of individual taste than regional necessity. I suppose Greek and Armenian tastes are closer to Turkish, so we can still roughly distinguish Northern from Southern timbre.

I don't have a Turkish oud, but these first spectra I made ineptly 2 years ago of an Egyptian (left) vs. an (intermediate) Sukar (right) show the much shorter percussive note, and the delay in the bloom of the harmonic that creates a sort of slap echo in old style Arabians. If we could accumulate some standardized spectra, it might be very useful. A wonderful app for that can be downloaded free:

http://www.sygyt.com/en/free-spectrum-analyzer

Egyptian_C_3zLfm.jpg - 138kB Sukar1_C_4zLfm.jpg - 150kB
farukturunz
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-16-2012 at 11:48 PM

Dear Mike,

I highly appreciate your wisdom and advise to me you expressed in an insightful way.

Although it is too hard to stay like a saint in this mersiless competition epoch unresponsive despite the misinformation about you and/or your work; ultimately I discerned that the truest way should be acting towards your advise. Thank you once again.

Explicitly, I owe gratitude to you for your insight and the distinction for deeming such a dignified posture worthy and suitable for my humble being.

Your’s respectfully,
Faruk

dkhoury35
Oud Junkie

Mood: IM IN THE M-OUD

[*] posted on 9-17-2012 at 04:17 AM

Farouk your Ouds are an inspiration to me and many on this forum !! I myself would love to own one of your Ouds god willing one day I will be able to afford one because I know from what I hear and see on this forum they are a true musical piece of art and say maybe 100 years from now they will be as valuable and admired Ouds just like the nahat and manol Ouds Keep up the good work and please can you u2u me the price of a 7 course Arabic rosewood oud with a cedar sound board and some inlay also the cost of shipping to Australia Melbourne with a hard case

THANKS FAROUK KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  7

Go To Top