Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New oudist in town
spingere
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 07:44 AM
New oudist in town

Hello everyone. My name is Will and I'm new to the world of the oud. I've spent the last few years listening, reading and watching but it was only a few months ago that (thanks to this forum) I discovered the wonderful Mr Moussa and finally bought an instrument from him. I'm playing with the GADGC tuning. Some high F strings will be fitted once I feel a bit more confident.
I hope to post some photographs of my oud tonight but I won't be putting any sound files up until I'm a lot more practised.
My screen name is Spingere, which is the name of my experimental music project, but basically I'm a fretless bassist by night and an English teacher by day. It's nice to finally say hello.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 12:28 PM

Welcome, Spingere!
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 9-7-2012 at 05:49 PM

Hello Spingere,

Welcome to the oud world and to the forums. Or perhaps, as you are an English teacher, I should say 'fora' ;)

Regards,

Greg
spingere
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-11-2012 at 07:10 AM

Thanks. As you've probably noticed I still haven't put my pictures up. Here are two photos to start with.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cruttenden/7663682598/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cruttenden/7916231602/

I'm very happy with my oud and want to do it justice. This forum (these fora) have really helped me get off the ground, so to speak.

All the best,

Will
Aymara
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-11-2012 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by spingere  
... I discovered the wonderful Mr Moussa and finally bought an instrument from him.

Aaah ... you lucky guy :applause:

Welcome to the club of oudists :D

Greetings from Germany

Chris
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 9-11-2012 at 10:06 PM

Welcome, fretless bro' !
markus
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-13-2012 at 06:29 AM

Hello Will
Welcome to forum and to the world of oud with all its madness and agony!!. In asmuch I congratulate you for your moussa's master piece of work( reflected by the amazing rossette)- I would like to warn you of a disease among UK oudists called Moussa's addiction with unsatiable craving to his new pieces which are different but complimmentary- ending in having the whole battery the same way of having sets of nays. Which style is your oud? Can we have more fotos of the back and neck with possibly a little taqssim
best of luck, keep practicing and keep saving!!
Markus
spingere
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-14-2012 at 02:05 AM

Thanks Markus. I'll post up more pictures soon. I've certainly taken plenty but at the moment I have a sick dad to look after so free time is extremely limited.
From reading posts on the forum I can see that buying copious amounts of ouds (especially from someone as skillful as Mr Moussa) is likely to be part of my future. It look me a long time to find my perfect bass guitar and I had to buy and sell a lot of instrument before I got there. With this instrument being so good though I'd like to think I'll be ok for a long time.
I've got a long way to go before I feel confident letting anyone here listen to my playing though. I do, however, have a bass gig in October and have been asked if I'd play the oud for one song. If I do and if I don't screw up too badly I'll post a copy of it. Fingers crossed.
markus
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-14-2012 at 03:19 AM

waiting impatiently!!!- I am sure that we will witness the birth of a great oudist soon -good ouds go to good artists- I find oudists from a guitar/bass background have the advantage of a well devloped sliding, hammering and plucking technique- the mechanical part would not be a problem- It is the feel of the oriental music, the moods, rhythm and accent that need to be acquired
keep listening and practicing- joining groups of oudists is a merit
god bless
markus

Go To Top