Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Parts dealers? (USA)
catty
Oud Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 10:01 AM
Parts dealers? (USA)

Specifically, nuts. Are there any dealers who sell blanks online? I didn't see any among the dealers listed in the FAQs or on the threads here
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 10:51 AM

Depending on which part of Montana you live in, there may be someone nearby who can make a good nut for your oud or make your present not serviceable. I'm thinking of all the mandolin builders around the state. There are several single builder shops and also larger operations like Weber, in Logan, near Bozeman. It's likely that any of them could do a good job. Are you sure that your present oud nut needs replacing? Sometimes an adjustment does the trick.
catty
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 11:00 AM

Thanks Jody...I know a few good luthiers here (in Missoula)...two of whom (John and Chuck) I would trust with oud work. But I have to let it go for a few days, which I'm not yet ready for :)) There are guys all over the territories with all kinds of expertise...someone the other day was telling me of someone locally who fine-tunes whistles...my hardingfele playing partner bought his fiddle from someone who builds (or, built) them out east toward the plains...someone over near Helena does boxes (reeds)

Yes, this nut is well done--probably bone--but 5-course and with no option for adjustment short of sanding it flush and shimming it to create a new surface (I've "rearranged" slots, spacings, etc for guitars, banjos and bouzoukis...and I COULD fidge with it...but I can throw on a new plastic piece and file the slots myself quick and get on a full set of strings in an hour or two...until I can part with it for a while for a proper fix...my experience is that nut work is harder than it should be!:)) )

Somewhere around here (I hope) is a peg box from my broken oud...but I think I remember losing the nut from it. D'oh!
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 11:13 AM

I have also lost small instrument parts. Dropped and quickly eaten by the floor boards or carpet or Floor Gremlins. I have no dog or cat to blame. Don't lose *this* nut! someday you may get interested in playing "historical oud", and in the old days some good players used only five courses. I like the bass course because its overtones color the sound of the higher strings but the 5 course sound is good too.
catty
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 11:14 AM

Yes, that's why I don't want to wreck it! :))

Thanks for providing the extra perspective: I was wondering WHY someone converted this to 5
catty
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 11:34 AM

I just need another oud! :)
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 03:04 PM

What about Turkish ouds? You need more than one more.

Why not order some bone blanks from stewmac.com or lmii.com?
catty
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 06:18 PM

I'm not as handy as all that...I need something rather pre-formed ... it's hard enough for me just to slot bone

You're probably right about having to get into Turkish oud. No reason why this habit won't become like all the others :rolleyes:
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 9-23-2012 at 01:37 AM

There is no standard neck width for ouds, they all are different by a few millimeters +/-, so there are no finished nuts available. You or you tech will have to make one. If you send me the dimensions, (width, depth od the notch, number ot strings, I can make one and send it to you.

richard@droud.com

catty
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 9-23-2012 at 03:14 AM

Thank you so much Richard--I will reply to your email

Go To Top