Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Simon Shaheen risha
hamed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Iss'al rouhak

light.gif posted on 10-26-2012 at 12:42 PM
Simon Shaheen risha

I have recently been listening to a lot of Simon Shaheen recordings, he really has the best risha technique in my opinion of any Arabic player. I imagine he is using a low tension string set, but I'm wondering about his risha. For those of you who have studied with him can you tell me the type of risha he is using?
In my efforts to sound like him I've started using a soft risha instead of horn. I get a more Arabic sound with a softer risha but it can be more difficult to play.
Any input?
Thanks
Hamed
animalwithin
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 10-27-2012 at 09:50 AM

Hi Hamed:

I've yet to get an oud myself but coming from a guitar background, I might be able to offer some advice. Guitar picks also range in softness-hardness as well as size and shape. I have found that with a soft guitar pick, its much easier to play quieter with less attack on the strings. With a harder pick, I need to slow down my strumming/picking in order to quiet the noise. It really depends on you, how you play, and what sound you're going for. Keep in mind a softer risha, like a softer guitar pick, may not last you as long if you play frequently and with speed. As with anything, experiment to find what you love. If a softer risha gets you the sound you want, yet its harder to play, so be it, practice more :airguitar: I hope that helped!
David.B
Oud Junkie

Mood: Renaissance

[*] posted on 10-28-2012 at 02:17 AM

Hi Hamed,

I haven't met Simon Shaheen, put I had a few e-mails with -> http://johnvergaramusic.com/?page_id=181

He wrote Simon uses thick horn rishi : 1mm !
hamed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-31-2012 at 06:01 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I've tried just about every material you can think of except the eagle quill. I guess I'll just have to practice a lot more!
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 10-31-2012 at 10:48 AM

There are a few of us who have studied with Simon, especially those living in the North East of the U.S. Simon usually uses Labella strings for the wound strings and for G and C strings uses either D'addario or Aquila strings depending on the instrument. These days hes talking about switching to nylon strings for the D course.. which would provide an older sound. I believe hes currently searching for the right nylon for the job, because most brands dont provide a quality sound suffient enough to replace the wound Ds at this point. He has an old oud owned by Farid Al Atrash fitted with nylon Ds that sound pretty good.

About his rishi technique, its clear that he has the best rishi in the industry! I've studied the right hand with Simon. He keeps his strokes very short and minimizes movement. He uses a thick rishi which he makes himself (or his brother Najib Shaheen makes for him) made from horn. Thickness is anywhere from .85mm to 1mm. Every material is different so you cant set a standard thickness, especially when dealing with horn.. so many variables. But definitely a thicker rishi. He also holds it very short.

I can tell you after adopting his right hand style that it doesnt mean you're going to play as fast as he does. Your speed will likely improve. I'd say I am now able to play faster passages more cleanly to about 5-10% better than before. But what I noticed is a much better tone, reduction in slapping sound, and more even tremelo. For the record I use about .75mm rishi as 1mm is uncomfortable for me still. Everyone has different anatomy and I think you have to find what works best for you. So I never tell people there is only one way. Bassam Saba has a slightly different way that works well for him as does Charbel Rouhana and all the great players this is the same. (All teachers I've learned from)

I sell custom made rishis that I make by hand cut from cow horn. Many people have purchased happily from me.
Here is the thread http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=11289

hamed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-31-2012 at 11:05 AM

Hey Bulerias,
Thanks for the reply. I can't believe Mr. Shaheen can get such a good sound from a 1mm horn risha! whenever i've made horn risha's they were never thicker that .5mm i'd say. With such a thick risha he must be barely hitting the string with a very light stroke i'm guessing. I was planning on going to the Arabic Music retreat last summer but it didn't work out, maybe next year. I've been playing oud for 8 yrs but with no teacher so i need to learn a lot.
Thanks again
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 10-31-2012 at 12:20 PM

One thing to note is that a narrower risha will be more flexible than a wide one at the same thickness. Simon has many rishas that he uses, but they mostly tend to be narrower, usually around 9-10mm rather than the 11-12mm of commercially available rishas like Pyramid etc.

John's rishas are very good, and worth every penny.

If it is at all possible for you to attend Simon's retreat, I highly recommend it.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top