Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nylgut strings
Stefan Andalus
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-4-2004 at 02:49 PM
Nylgut strings

Greetings my oud-loving friends-

I usually use LaBella or Pyramid strings. A have heard, however, that a great sound comes from using Aquila nylgut on the high strings, and LaBella on the low, silver-wound strings. Does anybody agree? Can you get a beautiful, singing "vibrato" on the high strings with nylgut the way you can with Pyramid? Which do you think is better for a deep, glowing sound on the low strings - nylgut or LaBella? I await your wisdom on this. Asalaam aleikum.
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 11-4-2004 at 08:17 PM

I've had Aquila Nylgut strings on my oud for the last 2 weeks, and honestly they are the most satisfying set of strings I've tried. If you are interested in Nylgut, then I recommend that you try them in the entire set for 2 reasons (1) The tension are very consistent across all courses. This makes them very balanced in projection and volume (2) The transtition between wound and plain are very smooth, you don't really get this in other sets.

The sound charactersitcs of Nylgut is that they sound smooth very warm (as if you lowered the treble). They made my oud sound darker and deeper. I think you will also be satisfied with the ringing of the high strings. They are not as "edgy" sounding as plain nylon.

FYI: There are different tuning configurations for these strings. See here: http://www.oud-strings.com/#aquila_oud And you can you can even find individual guages to suit your tension preference if you really wanted to. Mimo did a fanstastic job configuring these strings. Bravo Mimo!

I hope this helps
Elias
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudy

[*] posted on 11-5-2004 at 10:06 AM

Hello,
Yes,aquila strings are fantastic. Really much better than all the other strings. i live in Italy and i know personally Mimmo, he his a very kind person and a great string maker. i met him and we try to improve these strings that already are a the top..The Bass strings are very deep and with a great presence and well balanced with the High strings in wich Nylgut(Mimmo's invention)makes the best performance..
Salamat
Elias
aquila
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-12-2004 at 11:15 AM

Grazie Elias!
I had a great help from you and you so nice instruments.
My goal now is to improve the balance between the strings.
It is quite hard but I am sure that at the end things will work better.
Mimmo

Go To Top