Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question about string length
baseelo
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-14-2012 at 06:37 AM
Question about string length

Hello everybody,
I've just registered in this wonderful forum. I really love it.
I have a question and I hope it doesn't sound weird to you.
What string length would you recommend?
The reason I'm asking is that I've just watched a clip on youtube recommending 61.5 cm then the length of the fingerboard would be third of that (20.5 cm) then teaching how to divide those 20.5 cm to 7 different parts (3.3,3.2,3.1,3,2.9,2.8 and 2.7 cm) to make Afk.
I've seen some luthiers offering different sizes of oud when you buy it (going as short as 55.5 cm).
What do you suggest? And If I chose a shorter string oud how does that affect the dividing of the armrest to 7 parts ? Are the sizes going to be different. And is the length of the fingerboard always third of the total length of string?

The pitch level that I prefer is Farid Al Atrache oud where tones are rich and musically satisfying and I prefer that to high pitch ouds that we hear today.
Thank you for your help.
stos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-14-2012 at 09:05 AM

hello!

welcome on the forum!

I didn't knew there were such mathematical way of considering string length

I have an oud with 58.5 cm and one 61 cm, and I don't have long arms

and of course there is a link between you arm length and the size of the oud but it is not something that should be restrictive in my opinion.

I advise you maybe to try short and long string length oud and to see what is confortable for you

there is also sometime differences between those length in volume and bass (but is not always true.. the sound depending mostly on the quality and the bracing of the oud)

there are also luthiers (like dimitris rapakoussios or Ali Nisadir) who make 58.5 cm ouds but with a bowl that is more little (I don't talk about lavoud but something lighter in difference)

Hope it helps!
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-14-2012 at 09:25 AM

Presumably by 'armrest' baseelo means 'fingerboard'?
If so, the traditional proportion for an oud is that the fingerboard length is 1/3 vibrating string length - also with the centre of the large soundhole midway between neck joint and bridge. However there can be variations on the latter proportions dependent upon the geometry used by a maker.

Traditionally the fingerboard was made long enough to be divided into 7 divisions for the Arabic scale (dating to a time when the oud was fretted - equivalent to 5 semitone fret positions for the European lute) - so the divisions will be proportionally closer spaced for a shorter string length.

Turkish ouds have a shorter string length (man size 58.5 cm) than 'Arabic' ouds (man size 60 to 63 cm).

As stos suggests choose a string length that you are comfortable with.

Edited November 15
baseelo
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-14-2012 at 12:25 PM
Thank you

Thank you Jdowning for the reply. Sorry for using the wrong expression. I meant the fingerboard.

I would really love to try an oud before I buy it but I live in Michigan and intend to by an oud from overseas (probably from Mr.Turunz) so that's why I wanted to get an idea.

Do you know of any place in Michigan that carries good ouds that I can try before I make a decision? I used to play oud a long time ago (last time I played was about ten years ago) but the bug is itching again and I intend to buy a good oud.

Thank you everybody for your help.
baseelo
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-14-2012 at 12:31 PM
Link

Thank you Stos for your reply.

This is the link to the clip that I referred to. It makes a lot of sense to me because even though I play by ear, but I was always looking for rule for Afk to get that half flat E for a Sika Makam for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL4s5RMxSsE

Please tell me what you think.

Thank you.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-15-2012 at 06:19 AM

Note that my previous post has been edited and corrected.

The earliest ouds had fingerboard lengths of about 1/4 string length sufficient to accommodate 7 frets, the 7th fret being the so called fourth finger (little finger) fret. The seventh fret position is equivalent to the 5th fret position for the European lute tuned to the Western 12 tone equal temperament scale.

The attached image shows the fret positions of the scale given by Ibn Sina compared to the Western scale.

Later the length of the fingerboard was extended to 1/3 string length to accommodate 10 or 12 frets (equivalent to 7 frets for the European lute) - the 10th or 12th fret position being located at the neck joint for an oud.
The attached chart compares relative fret positions for various early scales of the oud and European lute (string length in this case is 559 mm). Of course, today the oud is not fretted so fret positions are now finger positions.

For a more detailed discussion about the division of the fingerboard go to page 15 of the topic "Old Oud - New Project" on this forum.

Sorry, I do not know of any place in Michigan that supplies ouds.

The best string length for you will depend upon the size of your hand and flexibility of your fingers. What was the string length of the oud that you played 10 years ago?

Always best policy to purchase the highest quality oud that you can afford.
baseelo
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 11-15-2012 at 12:54 PM

Thank you Jdowning for your explanation. It is really amazing to me that Ibn Sina was involved in Oud fretting!!

I don't remember what length exactly my last oud was, but I think it was between 60 and 62 cms.

I'll read the page that you referred to and do some more research on the subject.

I'm so happy that we have this forum. It is so wonderful to be able to talk to and learn from experts on these different issues.

Go To Top