Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud effects - pedals?
manoutis
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 10:05 AM
Oud effects - pedals?

Hi to all oud lovers.

I am thinking of a sound change, both on the acoustic oud and one electric that I have ( godin multioud) so I can move on from traditional music to some other kind like jazz or blues.

Does anyone has something to suggest ? Any single pedal or a Multi-FX Pedal like the one that guitars have?

Haig Yadzjian uses jam pedals and he has figured an nice and weird sound. I would like to achieve
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 12-11-2012 at 03:21 PM

Jam Pedals......ta kalytera

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 12-22-2012 at 01:59 PM

If you can take an instrument down to a store like Guitar Center, you can try out the multi-effect pedals, find one you like, buy it with return privs, and repeat until happy. I tried many, even up to $900. I finally decided on a used Vox Tonelab ST I liked for about $100. The pedal can control volume or effects, though not both at once. The sound is good, it has a lot of flexible I/O, including USB to a computer, but presets are sequentially accessed stepping through with up/down footswitches. That's tolerable in the studio, but an up/down system is unusable on stage, unless you always use the same 3-4 setups. Their EX etc are *much* better for live playing as you can turn individual sections on/off w/ your foot.

Most of these multi-effect devices can do a passable job for all sorts of "effects", like delay, reverb, compression, chorusing, wah-wah, etc etc. They have a lot of signal processing horsepower, though rather fixated on "distortion" sounds, which are key to a guitar. Simulation of vintage amps is a popular thing. The high end Boss/Roland ones are very good to program, but have an inescapable nasty clipped sizzling transistor distortion sound. The Vox ones sound mellower, though the glowing tube is largely a visual cosmetic effect. There are some new (expensive) ones that are rackmount, with a computer interface for programming. I also tried a pretty Fishman Aura Spectrum, meant for acoustic guitar, it did very little for too much money. It's worth taking some time to try several out at home, as first impressions can be deceiving.

If you want a looper, it might be better to get a separate unit for that, some go for under $150, I think it gets very crowded trying to do that (also) on one device. Using a software effects plug-in can work, especially in the studio, if you have a fast interface with low latency on the computer, but for live playing having at least one multi-effects pedal is important, and can sound almost as good as piles of dedicated little units. Later you might find out what exactly you are after and add some pieces, but one of the all-in-ones is a good start.

Go To Top