Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Poll: POLL: What do you want to happen to your historical oud once you leave this life?
My non-playing descendants will inherit it and will remember me playing it --- 1 (20%)
I would give it to a relative/friend/inheritance that can play it --- 3 (60%)
I would sell it the day I feel I don't have the force to play it -- 0 (0%)
I would donate it to a museum so others can see it and maybe hear it --- 1 (20%)
I don't know -- 0 (0%)

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: POLL: What do you want to happen to your historical oud once you leave this life?
chaldo
Oud Junkie

Mood: archaic mood

[*] posted on 12-8-2012 at 12:49 AM
POLL: What do you want to happen to your historical oud once you leave this life?

I think this is one of the questions that comes back when discussing among friends about our most precious ouds...

What do you want to happen to your historical oud once you leave this life?

let's say you have a historical oud, that can be something like an early 20th century Nahat or late 19th century Manor or a very fine Fadel or, or, or... what do you think is the fine thing to do?

I think the question is closely related to when does the ‘use value’ becomes a ‘symbolic value’; by placing it in a museum does the ‘use value’ really becomes a ‘symbolic value? or can modern museums close that gap? I mean many of us watched Mal Barsamian play the Emmanuel Venios from the Boston Museum of Fine arts ...

Chaldo

jwe0324l.jpg - 29kB
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 12-8-2012 at 01:22 AM

I've ticked the nearest one but in actual fact my actual plan is to be reincarnated as a master udi along with my oud so I can finally do it justice :))

Is it a plan ... what do you reckon ???

Leon
chaldo
Oud Junkie

Mood: archaic mood

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ararat66  
I've ticked the nearest one but in actual fact my actual plan is to be reincarnated as a master udi along with my oud so I can finally do it justice :))

Is it a plan ... what do you reckon ???

Leon

:D Leon, I`m sure you`re giving it all what is deserves by playing it and enjoying it! but should I add "reincarnation along my instrument" in the poll?

chaldo
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 12-10-2012 at 03:12 PM

The video with Mal Barsamian and the Manol Ud has been removed ... i hope next time, that someone plays this oud will tune it with the correct tuning (It was way too high. The treble string was a high G) . Not to mention that this tuning would almost kill the Ud if it stays long time!!!

So to answer to your question . NEVER give an instrument to a museum ...id rather burn it with me :)

Nikos
DoggerelPundit
Oud Junkie

Mood: Odar

[*] posted on 12-11-2012 at 02:20 PM

Not an overwhelming response to this excellent question and there should be, I think. Perhaps it would be useful to view it from a different perspective. Let's put the question into the "Way-Back Machine" and send it back to1960.

At that time 52 years ago, in the U.S. anyway, various Nahats, Haddads, Manols, etc. were already here, or being brought in by immigrants. They were being played at haflas, kefs, weddings, picnics and other get-togethers inside the various Arabic, Turkish, and Armenian communities. Many of these ouds were seen and heard at belly dance clubs around the country; by 1960 the Turkish & Greek music scene of 8th avenue in NYC was already legend. The first wave of the popular presentation of folk music and dance was only 9 years from its (U.S.) height.

Many of these instruments were in closets and pawn shops. Also in 1960, one could still send a check or money order for $200 to the label address in Istanbul, and 6-8 weeks later receive a new oud just made by Onnik (Uner) Karibyan. This would be so (with rising prices) for another 15 years. Others of you (maybe oldsters like me) can perhaps add to this incomplete picture from a European or Eastern perspective, but I suspect it will be similar for the time.

So, how would these musicians, or their inheriting families, have answered this poll? To me, it is likely they would have answered more from the idea that these instruments were tools rather than the venerated icons of the oud-as-instrument that they are today.

Which brings me to my point. I submit that, as with our previous generations of players, many of you already own and are playing tomorrow's museum pieces.

Excellent instruments are being made world-wide today. Is it possible that among players the constant search for something better—that "ideal" oud—is causing a "tool like" attitude toward already owned and excellent instruments? Search your soul.

As for the poll, I propose yet another choice: When the time comes, it is to settle your exceptional instrument(s) into the hands of a deserving first class player—student or highly practiced. Perhaps you are, or at some point will be, a mentor. Sell it or give it away as you choose, but there should be no stronger hands to receive it than those of a dedicated player. I believe that for the most part, the pristine 50 to 100+ year old instruments which have come down to us arrived here along over 5 generations of strong hands.

-Stephen
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-11-2012 at 03:11 PM

This is too personal a question to be answered on a public form. Perhaps the answer for many who have viewed the question and not responded is "it all depends on circumstances". Most of us do not know when we will die or how, or in what financial condition we will be in at the time of the approach of death. Will our family need money? What will be the effect on loved ones caused by our giving away the oud. It is different from family to family and person to person. Perhaps this is one reason for so little response. Also the choices given in the poll may not apply. I cannot select any of them for instance.

On the other hand the question of type of value is very interesting.
spyros mesogeia
Oud Junkie

Mood: play my ouds

[*] posted on 12-11-2012 at 03:19 PM

:D:D:D:D

MatthewW
Oud Junkie

Mood: Al Salam

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 02:19 PM

I'm planning on taking my oud with me when I go.:airguitar:
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MatthewW  
I'm planning on taking my oud with me when I go.:airguitar:

Me too! And I am taking the proceeds of my bank accounts and superannuation, as well.:cool:

Go To Top