Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Frustration...and an idea
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 05:40 AM
Frustration...and an idea

It occurred to me recently that some of the greatest oud players out there have made few or no recordings of solo oud, and how incredibly frustrating this is. We fans often have to survive on just a few morsels and the odd video on Youtube. Names that spring to mind are Munir Nurettin Beken, Simon Shaheen, Issa Boulos, Ali Jihad Racy, Bassem Saba, Iyad Haimour, Mehmet Bitmez, etc. No doubt the reasons for this are the costs involved with recording CDs and the fact that pure taqsim and similar recordings are not seen as commercially viable.

I was wondering if there is anything we can do about this? Do we really need to rely on commercial recordings any more in this day and age? Many people on this forum are in contact with some of the leading oud players out there. Could they be persuaded to record stuff on request for the forum community? I don't know how money would be factored into this, or if it even needs to be. Am I being an idealistic fool? It would be interesting to hear people's thoughts on whether this idea could be a realistic possibility.

All the best

David

Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 08:43 AM

I think this is a great idea. There have in the past been similar "record clubs" for jazz, where members come together to fund recordings of people who may not have the resources to make new records.

I'm not sure how this would be organized or implemented, but if there is enough interest maybe we can get something off the ground.
The good thing about solo oud is that it is relatively inexpensive to record (compared to full ensembles).

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
ameer
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 09:23 AM

I like it. Oud legends of the new millennium, or something. I'd love to help get it rolling if we find there's enough interest.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 09:35 AM

I sure like your choice of players. What a collection this would be!
conroystoptime
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 09:49 AM

In this era of crowd-sourcing tools like Kickstarter and Indie Go Go, the time is right for an idea like this.

ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 01:42 PM

I agree with you David,
Once Omar Bashir, who's the friend of a friend, spent an evening at my place, think it was 5 years ago,the mood of the evening was really good and he fell in love with my old 1892 , 5 course Arja and kept it in his arms all the time.
He played for hours, changed tuning many times to express different moods, old iraqi maqams, techniques, it was an amazing Omar Bashir that never shows in his recordings or concerts, a great and rare oud moment, I talked to him about this forum and how many people would love to hear those things, just oud, online for oud lovers, no money yet a good quality recording, he liked the idea but he was leaving the next morning, we agreed on a studio session the next time he comes to Beirut...it never happened.

This small yet very well equipped (Neuman U187, SPL preamps, Protools HD)studio in Beirut is available for free, including the sound engineer, for any master outdist who would like to have a clean recording to put for free online just for oud lovers.

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ALAMI  

just oud, online for oud lovers, no money yet a good quality recording,

"No money" doesn't seem to be a requirement for this to happen. Very little money? Probably.
David Parfitt
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ALAMI  
I agree with you David,
Once Omar Bashir, who's the friend of a friend, spent an evening at my place, think it was 5 years ago,the mood of the evening was really good and he fell in love with my old 1892 , 5 course Arja and kept it in his arms all the time.
He played for hours, changed tuning many times to express different moods, old iraqi maqams, techniques, it was an amazing Omar Bashir that never shows in his recordings or concerts, a great and rare oud moment, I talked to him about this forum and how many people would love to hear those things, just oud, online for oud lovers, no money yet a good quality recording, he liked the idea but he was leaving the next morning, we agreed on a studio session the next time he comes to Beirut...it never happened.

This small yet very well equipped (Neuman U187, SPL preamps, Protools HD)studio in Beirut is available for free, including the sound engineer, for any master outdist who would like to have a clean recording to put for free online just for oud lovers.

That's a very good point - I'd overlooked the fact that there are aspects of even the more often-recorded players that we don't get to see because of commercial pressures.

David

jack
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-12-2012 at 03:16 PM

Great idea. But since money is always an issue, I think it's reasonable to get any decent recordings made available for sale. I have purchased a ton of solo oud on emusic.com, which is half the price of itunes, but still artist supported. I would imagine any player who put effort and time into decent quality recordings would not just want to give them away free, and so a nice middle ground is to have them for sale on emusic or some such site. Also, if all we're interested in is more solo oud, then a small recording device such as a Zoom could be mailed to any oud player willing to take some time to record some pieces, and then sent back to anyone competent and willing enough to master the tracks. I imagine the recordings would be wonderful.

Go To Top