Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Question about woods
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

Mood: m'Oudy

[*] posted on 1-12-2013 at 11:39 PM

The better AKs are probably French Polished.
Luttgutt
Oud Junkie

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 1-13-2013 at 05:50 AM

Hehe.. It is just that I missed you guys :-)

1- I no longer sure that it was True oil that I used. I used something we call Danish Oil. Maybe it was Tung oil?

2- The rosewood finger board I use it on was fine (the oud was new). It was Tony here who convinced me of trying it over 2 years ago :-)
And I am happy with result. In the sense that it is been 2 years, and still I cannot see traces from the strings!!
While shellac goes after a couple of days.
But it was boaring waiting for it to dry (6 coats), and it smeld bad many weeks. So I never got the "energy" to use it again :-)

3- Tony, The number 212, refures mainly to 3 things only:
First: the body is dark walnut.
second: It has 30 ribs.
Thurd: Eboney tuninig pegs

Number 14 refurs to:
First: the body is dark walnut
Second: It body is all dark walnut (no birch between the ribs!)
Thurd: Eboney tuning pegs.

p.s. 211 is the same, but with 15 ribs.

And that is it. It says nothing about fingerbord, fixed or floating bridge, the pick gard and so on...

4- But you can always tell Mr. Sukar what you want.
You can ask for eboney fingerboard, you can ask for different sizes, different combinations.
And you 'll always get what you order.
(but mind the language misunderstanding!! :-))

He is REALLY a wonderfull and trust worthy person to deal with.
For eksemple, he always sends me the Ouds BEFORE I pay!!
If the oud is OK, I pay him.
If not, I send it back and he tries again!! Without any "buts" and excuses.
That is HIS policy. At least that is how he delt with ME (*my own experience!).

Here is a litle sample of ebonye finger bord :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7eA3GhZO3k

The wood might be dead, but the oud is alive.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-13-2013 at 07:36 AM

Danish oil is just linseed oil mixed with an oil varnish - used as a hand rubbed finish on wood. Linseed oil takes a lifetime to dry (if it ever does) so the varnish speeds up the drying time to a few hours. Tung oil is also used in place of linseed oil for these formulations. TruOil is just another variation of the same thing.

A good research paper investigating various mixes of oil/varnish finishes was published in the Fine Woodworking magazine some years ago (1970's ?) "Oil/Varnish Finishes - experiment to find the right proportions" by Don Newell.

See here for more info

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=12156
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 01:01 PM

For information - I found that test sample of walnut finished with several coats of home-brew 'TruOil' varnish (see the link in the previous post) so did an indent hardness test on the varnished and unvarnished areas of the sample.

The attached magnified images of the indentations show that the hardness is not affected by the varnish layers (according to the 'Downing' hardness tester values, where relative hardness is represented by the square of the indent diameter. The larger the number the softer the material. See http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=13647)

Not a surprising result perhaps with this 'macro' hardness test where the depth of the indent is half the measured diameter of the indent (i.e. 1.5 mm) - much more than the thickness of the varnish coat. The varnish layer is here - unable to provide additional structural strength to the wood - just gives way under the load as the supporting wood cells collapse.

[file]25416[/file]

[file]25418[/file]
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 03:32 PM

@john, As you note, the coating is thin, and the punch is smashing through. What I've seen happen on coated oud and bass fingerboards is that the strings don't crush the substrate. After a while they start to wear the coating, so it's no longer perfectly smooth if you look very closely under the right light, and it's time to wipe on some more, which merges with the old and you're back to a level surface. The refresh sets much much faster, it's a trivial operation, almost like applying a polish to the bowl when changing the strings. Japan Dryer can be added to speed up setting.

I think that with huge steel round-wound bass strings with sharp windings under enormous tension, you might start crushing the wood, but I never dare use such strings.

@Luttgutt like I said, you're the Sukar connection. Lovely playing, but I can't see the fingerboard. I still wish i knew what my 212 and 14 fingerboards are made of.

[file]25426[/file] This is from the model 14. Looks like my Shehata's ebony fingerboard.

The question of course on your coated fingerboard that shows no wear, is how much others that you have (of similar wood) do show wear.

jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 12:24 PM

Determination of wood hardness by 'macro' indentation methods (such as Janka) can only apply to testing materials of relatively uniform hardness throughout - be they natural or chemically fully impregnated - not thin coated materials (as demonstrated by the previously posted images).
I am primarily interested at the moment in testing materials that may prove to be hard enough for fingerboards (treated or untreated) without the need for any maintained coatings so the macro indentation method should be good enough for any 'before' and 'after' comparisons.

The indentation methods stress the materials under test beyond their elastic limit (plastic yield) in one test loading. The string pressure on a fingerboard surface may be quite high as there is line contact with the underside of the round section string so that a relatively low force on a string from the fingers may generate quite a high localised pressure on the fingerboard surface (pressure = force per unit area). This repeated application of high pressure over time may cause softer materials to permanently yield whereas harder materials might offer sufficient resistance to prevent yielding.

When a relatively soft coating (e.g. varnish) is applied over a hard fingerboard material the surface coating, if thick enough, will likely permanently yield under string pressure over time and so require regular repair - but surely nothing is gained in coating a fingerboard if the uncoated fingerboard material is hard enough to resist yielding in the first place?

What might be interesting to try would be a thin coating of 'hard' rubber over a soft fingerboard material that would deform elastically under string pressure (and then recover) without causing the underlying fingerboard material to yield.

I have had a close look, under magnification and incident light, at the fingerboard of my old Egyptian oud for signs of string indentation marks and could only find two places with the very faint 'tell tale' marks left by wound strings and one deeper gouge close to the nut at the first position, sixth course (left unrepaired so presumably never a problem requiring repair or correction). The age of the oud is unknown but is probably close to a century old. The instrument shows all the signs of hard wear and abuse so has certainly been well used in its time. The fingerboard is mahogany - quite soft for a fingerboard material and has not been coated but quite uniformly darkened by finger staining. It must be remembered that this oud has never been strung with modern nylon strings but instead with softer gut trebles and copper wound on silk basses at relatively lower string tensions than are possible with modern nylon.

This begs a question. What is the string wear (if any) observed on the oldest surviving ouds from the late 19th/early 20th C - particularly those with fancy decoratively inlaid fingerboards?

fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 01:23 PM

The fingerboard field is heating up. I was looking at a Chinese guitar that until recently was made with a rosewood fingerboard. It now looks like stained nondescript wood. We're approaching the day when rosewood, let alone ebony, is unheard of on instruments.

Fender is using "ebonol". Gibson, after two federal raids over hardwoods, is moving squarely into plastic woods under fancy names on even their best guitars.

John, in an effort to instill reason and discipline, please don't reason away realities. You keep implying fingerboard wear is not a problem. Most oud owners have, or have seen, ouds with grooved fingerboards, especially at Rast on the 4th course. And it's far more troublesome than the largely cosmetic damage on a guitar. It only takes a slight grooving to buzz. Older ouds may have had the fingerboards repeatedly lightly re-leveled. It may not even show.

Most of us have no control over the exact materials used. Testing and finding an optimal retro-treating for softer fingerboards would be a good deed. You're in a ideal position to help.

It could be that the "hard rubber" model you describe is exactly how some coatings work. Or the reverse. What is the effect of the epoxies and thick superglue layer bass players use? What are cello people doing?
jdowning
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 03:34 PM

So lets hear about the 'realities' of fingerboard wear from others apart from yourself fernandraynaud as you surely do not speak with authority for the the majority of oud players or luthiers.

I am not trying to 'reason away' or 'imply' anything - just seeking unbiased information in order to try to figure out if there really is a problem and - if there is - what the solution might be.

So please give us all a break - kindly practice what you preach about "instilling reason and discipline" into these discussions.
fernandraynaud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 04:20 PM

No, no, I'm not for reason and discipline. F'get 'bout it.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top