Printable Version  
Author: Subject: metaibati
markus
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 12:00 AM
metaibati

Dear all
In his comment on Mustafa said playing Michael Moussa`s oud, the Nile Pirate laughingly mentioned that Michael was acting as Mustafa`s metaibati saying Ahsant Ahsant ya darsh!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de2Aw42oifQ&feature=player_detai...
which I did not understand, I googled the word metaibati with no result available
can anybody help with that
The Greco- egyptian
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 12:34 AM

Al metaibati is a person who over expresses loudly its praises, like Allah , ya Salam , gamil etc... It also refers to some people "planted" in the audience by the artist to drive the mood of the audience and trigger praises. The comment of Nile Pirate is a criticism to Michael Moussa.
nile pirate
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-28-2012 at 04:08 PM

Hoppa !! somebody may be in trouble there- I would like to assure to Mr Alami and all that I did not mean any criticism to Michael. To me and many young oudists Michael Moussa is the icon and the Godfather not only because of his contribution as a musicologist, a unique luthier and an authority in the history of arab/coptic music but because he has set the example to many of what honesty, self denial, caring, genorosity and commitment mean-
The clip was very amusing the oud sounded old, mustafa played old and Michael played well the role of old metaibati- only tarboush and turkisk moustaches were missing!!

Back to Markus, You may be Greco-Egyptian but still not Egyptian enough to grasp metaibati!! Google it as مطيباتي and you will get loads
Metaibati was a common practice across the whole range of performances from reciting quran to singing
مطيباتي could be a loyal fan of the artist or informal band member-
The old recordings of big names like Umkolthom, Abdul wahab, Mouneera Almahdia were full of metaibati chantings. Some were very funny and colourful but commonly word of praise were used as Alami highlighted
Nowadays metaibati role has almost disappeared from public performances but in private sittings it is still there in a nice subtle way !!!
markus
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-29-2012 at 12:29 AM

Thanks Alami and Pirate for your comprehensive responses- I now quite understand what metaibati means which could explain something unique to old Arab recordings when all of a sudden somebody would interrupt the singer or player saying few verses followed by clapping or chanting from audience.
Re Michael Moussa, I think you are al right pirate- I have been in touch and got the loudest laughter ever from Michael- he finds the whole matter over-hilarious. He is happy to be called Mikhail effendi el metaibati instead of Abu Mina offering competitive service as metaibati for recordings or live performances.
I am desperate to have clips, articles recording even personal private ones to highlight this phenomenon
Greco-Egyptian
ALAMI
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-29-2012 at 02:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by markus  
Thanks Alami and Pirate for your comprehensive responses- I now quite understand what metaibati means which could explain something unique to old Arab recordings when all of a sudden somebody would interrupt the singer or player saying few verses followed by clapping or chanting from audience.
Re Michael Moussa, I think you are al right pirate- I have been in touch and got the loudest laughter ever from Michael- he finds the whole matter over-hilarious. He is happy to be called Mikhail effendi el metaibati instead of Abu Mina offering competitive service as metaibati for recordings or live performances.
I am desperate to have clips, articles recording even personal private ones to highlight this phenomenon
Greco-Egyptian

Did not mean to judge your intentions on a personal level it was a general talk, probably my perception as Lebanese is different from the Egyptian one, for me the metaibati kind of "works" for the artist or might be invited for free against some "Tatyib" and on larger concerts the artist can bring many and spread them among the audience, we call them "Za'ifeh" the clappers.

but am curios to know if you could also use this word in Egypt in a negative sens.
THE GUY FROM THE PAST
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 1-22-2013 at 01:03 PM
metaibati

kalemera Greco-Egyptian
Here is the second time Michael Moussa is caught in the act as a real metaibati but this time for Adel salmeh!!!Seemingly he is helpless about it and it comes out of him in a genuine spontaneous way which fuels up the tarab and sultana - this lovely rosewood abdu nahat replica has found a safe home in Wienna the world capital of music!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frIYDvWVQX0
markus
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-22-2013 at 10:36 PM

Shokran gazeelan ya Guy- I could Greco-Egyptian, but still quite ibn balad- thanks for the link, it is quite amusing.
now I have learnt 4 metaibati verses:
ya salam alaik ya adel we ala halawtak
ahsanat ahsant ya darsh
gameel ya darsh
kaman
I will start using them but nobody can compete with Michael who deserves the title of Mikhail Effendi ALmetaibati
Ararat66
Oud Junkie

Mood: mellow yellow

[*] posted on 1-23-2013 at 12:29 AM

I know Michael and he is genuinely spontaneous - we all need to release our inner metaibati :applause:

Leon

Go To Top